UKC

Wild camping: your tips/tricks, stories & gear ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
contrariousjim 16 Jun 2014
So having done a lot of independent wild camping in the past, a wild camp is a different game with a wife and 4yo kid. It's just so fun and has to be done, finding nice locations in the woods, near streams, away from the campsites. How do you make it work? So I've realised that a lightweight tarp is a great bit of lightweight kit to fit in the sac in addition to the tent that can make a big difference to the experience had. What are your recommendations. What do you compromise on, what do you not? What kit have you found invaluable? How adventurous have you been with family and how long away from it all? What ideas have you gotten on the way from others and your own experience. Looking for a general discussion and suggestions of invaluable/valueless kit!
contrariousjim 17 Jun 2014
In reply to contrariousjim:

Any wild campers out there?
 Flinticus 17 Jun 2014

Yeah but you're looking for people who go wild camping with their familes: a much rarer beast, I think.
 Heike 17 Jun 2014

A very warm sleeping bag for the wee one (our 4 year old uses my expedition bag which goes down to -25, so no worries about him being cold), then lots ( several) sets of clothes for wee man to cater for falling into bog/streams etc and lots of interesting foods and stuff to cook on stove (exciting) and a few things to play with (e.g. a pack of cards and a few duplo toys and cars. Otherwise it's just the same as for adults, I'd say. A plastic tarp really is excellent, as you said. We always take one to the crag.
contrariousjim 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to contrariousjim)
>
> Yeah but you're looking for people who go wild camping with their familes: a much rarer beast, I think.

I guess that's true, but does that mean that the emergence of family means camping becomes near to car, and everything but the kitchen sink?
 Bobling 17 Jun 2014

Yup.
 henwardian 17 Jun 2014

Feed children in smaller quantities but more often than adults.
 JIMBO 17 Jun 2014

Took my two (5 and 8) to wild camp on Dartmoor. Zipped two down bags together and used two thermarests to sleep all three of us together. Saved lots on weight and carrying stuff. Trained them to carry something ever since we've been out, even if it's just a small bag with a drink or coat in it. Was pleasant enough experience and they enjoyed it. Next day we went climbing on Sheeps Tor.
 TobyA 18 Jun 2014

Bring them to Finland for a weekend! All the national parks and hiking areas have camping places where there is a fireplace, a wood shed with logs but then axes to make the big logs smaller. Once chopping things up and burning them is involved, the kids are happy for hours. Marshmallows to cook on the fire are a must too.
contrariousjim 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Heike:

> A very warm sleeping bag for the wee one (our 4 year old uses my expedition bag which goes down to -25, so no worries about him being cold), then lots ( several) sets of clothes for wee man to cater for falling into bog/streams etc

Good point. We've got a spotty otter thing for when its cold and wet which is pretty effective. We've also found that dewy ground causing wet clothes spreading from the foot upward is an issue, suggesting a decent pair of wellies with a high ankle to tuck trousers into is a good idea.

> and lots of interesting foods and stuff to cook on stove (exciting)

What sort of foods that are exciting to you take along to cook? I love my cooking.. ..but I've never been that adventurous when camping.

> and a few things to play with (e.g. a pack of cards and a few duplo toys and cars. Otherwise it's just the same as for adults, I'd say. A plastic tarp really is excellent, as you said. We always take one to the crag.

This is the thing that makes me most nervous, because our boy is not particularly one for sitting down for any length of time. So I have to try to think of good outdoor activity, even if its wet.
In reply to JIMBO:

> Took my two (5 and 8) to wild camp on Dartmoor. Zipped two down bags together and used two thermarests to sleep all three of us together. Saved lots on weight and carrying stuff.

We took a bag each, which as you say is pretty bulky, and the down bag was way too hot for the lad as I discovered him drenched / soaked through with sweat. In contrast, my older 2 season sleeping bag is heavy and bulky to pack, so perhaps some lighter weight and heat sleeping bags are in order.
In reply to TobyA:

> Bring them to Finland for a weekend! All the national parks and hiking areas have camping places where there is a fireplace, a wood shed with logs but then axes to make the big logs smaller. Once chopping things up and burning them is involved, the kids are happy for hours. Marshmallows to cook on the fire are a must too.

That sounds great. Can you recommend any locations or websites for recommendations of locations?!
 Carolyn 18 Jun 2014

We've tended to do only one night trips so far - but mine are 8 & 5 this year, so thinking about a two night expedition - the big one first wild camped at a touch under 2, and the smaller one at 3. We've only gone locally (in the Lakes) so we can pick nights when the weather will be predictably good. Short walk ins (under a mile) are possible with a bit of local knowledge or studying a map.

Definitely a spare set of clothes or three, and worth taking a pair of crocs/sandals, as paddling in the stream will be irrestitable. Warm layers, decent sleeping bag (by 4 mine were sleeping in their own bag - but smaller than that, we have two that zip together, and they were in that with me), more snacks than you could possibly imagine. And double up on uses much as you would for adults - eg take a pair of thermals to sleep in, rather than seperate pjs.

Cheap-ish digital camera can also help entertain!

We've only done mountains, so tarp not a great deal of use - but if you're in woods, a lightweight hammock is another piece of kit that provides hours of entertainment to a small child. It's the only way I ever get any bouldering done in Font....
 Carolyn 18 Jun 2014

> This is the thing that makes me most nervous, because our boy is not particularly one for sitting down for any length of time. So I have to try to think of good outdoor activity, even if its wet.

Or just start with short trips? We've tended to walk in late afternoon, pitch tent, cook dinner, maybe nip up a hill after dinner - and walk out the next morning. Not too much time to get bored, cold or wet - but plenty exciting enough that they want to do it again.
 Carolyn 18 Jun 2014

PS Sleeping bags - yes, they're bulky, but not too heavy, so they're the main thing I get the kids to carry (in a dry bag with their thermals and spare clothes).
 TobyA 18 Jun 2014

Loads of info here http://www.outdoors.fi/Pages/Default.aspx but if you came to Helsinki, you can get to Nuuksio National Park very easily. I wrote an article about it a few years back. Page 1 here http://37.media.tumblr.com/29e83b7d4c522dd8199032b6f9fab8ac/tumblr_mp4lmpi5... and page 2 here http://38.media.tumblr.com/dd4bdc6f20df406ab15b1e71da7a5a63/tumblr_mp4lmpi5...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...