UKC

American sea cliff climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John2 17 Jun 2014
I was watching Play Misty for Me the other night, and several scenes showed stunning looking sea cliffs rising from sandy beaches below the Pacific Coast Highway. The only American sea cliff climbing that I have heard of is in Maine - does that mean that no one has climbed on these Californian cliffs, or are they just little publicised?
 jimtitt 17 Jun 2014
In reply to John2:

Or rubble.
 kenr 18 Jun 2014
There's a free-standing sea stack somewhere within say an hour's drive of the scenes off Play Misty for Me. Have to catch it when the tide is right (or swim to it?). Also some bouldering near the seaside around there.

Much farther north, there's some (non-large) seaside crags (including "Mickeys Beach" a bit north of San Francisco.

Farther south there's some cliffs ? island in Morro Bay ? which are currently closed to climbing (last I heard).

Maybe something on the Oregon coast? at least some boulders? Can't say I've heard of much on the Washington coast.

Maybe British Columbia? - well Squamish is sort of close to salt water, but not usually thought of as seaside climbing. But there's many many large and small islands along the BC Pacific coast.

Don't know anything about Alaska seaside rock climbing.

Atlantic coast: never heard of anything on the eastern USA coast outside of Maine. (maybe some boulders somewhere?)
Even the Maine stuff does not draw raves from USA climbers.

Lakes: Of course there are some cliffs (even deep-water soloing) alongside inland lakes in North America.

I'd love to hear about other ideas for the North American seacoasts.

Ken
 TobyA 18 Jun 2014
In reply to kenr:

> Lakes: Of course there are some cliffs (even deep-water soloing) alongside inland lakes in North America.

And ice climbing! http://downwindsports.com/icefest/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/11326475536_67... http://static.squarespace.com/static/51f68fe5e4b01da70d04b6eb/51f69195e4b0d...
 Firestarter 18 Jun 2014
In reply to John2:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/otter-cliffs/105948985

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/patricks-point-state-park/105876109

Both of these from mountain project.com - surprisingly little by the looks of it.
 Dave Garnett 19 Jun 2014
In reply to John2:

I've looked along various bits of the Southern Californian coast (San Diego, Carlsbad, San Clemente) but where there are cliffs they are mostly sandy, pebbly rubble. There are some more solid bits in La Jolla Cove but apart from some bouldering it doesn't seem to be climbed on - presumably not allowed.
 Jonny2vests 19 Jun 2014
In reply to kenr:

> Maybe something on the Oregon coast? at least some boulders? Can't say I've heard of much on the Washington coast.

None that I've ever heard of.

> Maybe British Columbia? - well Squamish is sort of close to salt water, but not usually thought of as seaside climbing. But there's many many large and small islands along the BC Pacific coast.

Bits and bobs around Vancouver, all pretty crap. As you say, Squamish has lots, but it doesn't really count. Vancouver Island has reasonable looking cliffs visible from the ferry, I know nothing about it though.

Labrador has good sea cliffs that have the look and feel of Cornish sea cliffs. Sandstone though.

There's masses in Nunavut, most of it completely virgin, Kugluktuk looks particularly good (north coast of Canada), as does stuff around Iqaluit and Frobisher Bay (south Baffin) and Arviat (Hudson Bay). Kimmirut has a large dome guarding the bay called the Heel which I've soloed at about VDiff. Stuff around Pangnirtung (Baffin proper) ought to be good, not been yet though, next year.
 Cardi 19 Jun 2014
In reply to John2:

Had a Canadian mate mention Newfoundland yesterday. Metamorphic apparently
 ChrisJD 19 Jun 2014
In reply to John2:

Makes you realise just how lucky we are in the UK with all our varied and amazing sea cliff climbing areas.
 kenr 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

I note that the second link appears to be rather one out of four sectors with a _view_ overlooking the Pacific Ocean -- not a cliff actually rising up out of the sea.

The first is Acadia National Park, known for real sea cliffs, but the actual climbing does not draw raves from USA climbers.

Ken
 Andy Long 25 Jun 2014
In reply to John2:

Cap Trinite, Quebec.
OP John2 25 Jun 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Nice photo - what I've heard about the Maine sea cliff climbing isn't very inspiring, though.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Andy Long:

> Cap Trinite, Quebec.

Cheers Andy, I saw a picture of that place ages ago and forgot is name and where it was!
pasbury 26 Jun 2014
In reply to kenr:
>
> Much farther north, there's some (non-large) seaside crags (including "Mickeys Beach" a bit north of San Francisco.
>

Where you may encounter gentlemen in a state of undress enjoying the sunshine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...