UKC

Silly underwear question?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Northern Star 17 Jun 2014
Daft question perhaps but what underwear would you wear on a 3 week trekking and climbing expedition to Peru (warm lower down, probably cold at high altitude)?

Have the usual helly hansen base layers which will be fine for higher up but probably too warm lower down. As we'll be remote camping for a lot of this time I don't want to end up stinking after wearing the same underwear for a few days on the trot. Don't fancy lugging a two weeks supply of normal boxer shorts either.

Anyone recommend anything (preferably that's not silly expensive)?
 OwenM 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Northern Star:

You could try washing them.
 Billhook 17 Jun 2014

Excellent advice by Owen!!
 sbc_10 17 Jun 2014

This underwear is good if you get on with the boxer short design.

http://www.raidlight.com/en/men-s-apparels/2343-boxer-homme-soft-3d.html

Very lightweight and breathable when warm, but complements a good layering system to stop your nads freezing off.
 Sharp 17 Jun 2014
Synthetic, light and quick drying - easy to wash regularly but smells if you don't.
Thin merino - don't smell as much but harder to wash and dry.
Post edited at 20:38
Northern Star 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Cheers Ben, thanks for that - Merino it is then.

Andy
 Webster 17 Jun 2014

RAB meco wool have done me well so far. survived 6 weeks in the Himalayas with only the occasional river wash. comfy, breathable, quick drying and don't get clammy like a synthetic equivalent.
 Jim Walton 17 Jun 2014
I'm a fan of wearing swimming trunks ( the shorts type) designed to be comfy when wet so you can wash them and then just put them straight on. Absolutely swear by them in winter. Wore a pair for 9 days in Patagonia.
 woodsy 17 Jun 2014

Check out myshreddies.com
Dorq 17 Jun 2014
Wear all seven pair and just remove the inner ones and burn em every other day. No weight in your pack that way.

Seriously though, the silver-impregnated synthetic or very thin merino shorts or Y fronts. I find icebreaker 150 to be a bit warm for summer, so I am looking for something thinner myself, if not the new synthetic stuff. Usually, I save my old and worn cotton underwear and wear then bin them, carrying only enough underwear for the last part.

Synthetic dries on your rucksack much quicker or can even be worn wet, unlike wool, IMO.

Jon
Post edited at 23:15
 ripper 18 Jun 2014

I have a pair of 'Bananaman' undies with a pic of the cartoon superhero holding his favourite fruit on the front, and the words 'are you feeling fruity?' on the back. They silly enough for you?
In reply to ripper:

They would be significantly sillier worn in prison.
 ripper 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

obviously I'm extremely selective about the social situations in which I choose to display them...
Jim C 18 Jun 2014
In reply to OwenM:

But not before turning them inside out for another day (or two
altirando 18 Jun 2014

Criteria determine synthetic - two pairs - wash overnight dry on sack next day. Also support. Look at x-undergear, designed for the purpose. For more support look at Unico, synthetic models, lighter fabric. One of each worn according to the temperature. Merino? Shudder, shudder.
 Deviant 18 Jun 2014

For what it's worth :

I've always taken a few pairs of tatty, almost worn out boxers, worn for 4/5 days then disposed of. Not long enough to smell or show massive skid-marks, piss and semen stains ! It's funny how much one actually does stripped down to your undies !

DaveHK 18 Jun 2014
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)
>
> Cheers Ben, thanks for that - Merino it is then.

Try merino before you go. I find that if I'm sweating a lot they don't wick as well as synthetics and take ages to dry.
 DaveHK 18 Jun 2014

Light cotton boxers might be best. Cheap, don't hold odours like some synthetics, easy to wash and dry quickly.
SteveCarter 18 Jun 2014
Under Armour HeatGear boxers
In reply to DaveHK:

> Try merino before you go. I find that if I'm sweating a lot they don't wick as well as synthetics and take ages to dry.

+1. Merino second only to bamboo in my experience when they get really wet. Bamboo underwear is really nice to wear but takes oh so long to dry when wet.
 Bulls Crack 18 Jun 2014

Go commando?
 mcanuda 18 Jun 2014

I agree with trying merino first. I bought some recently and for me they stay horribly damp once you're sweating - not at all like the merino tops I wear all the time.

I've also ordered some underarmour heatgear boxers - read mostly good things about them but haven't tried them yet so can't give a first hand account.
 Jim Fraser 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Sharp:

> Thin merino - don't smell as much but harder to wash and dry.

Washes fine in a stream and dries overnight when hanging on a branch in a warm climate. I don't think the OP was planning to carry a Hotpoint Washer-Dryer round Peru.

Toerag 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Dorq:
I find icebreaker 150 to be a bit warm for summer, so I am looking for something thinner myself,

Really? surely if you're warm you should wear thinner clothes, 150 weight icebreaker isn't very thick at all.

To the OP, surely you just need 1 pair of pants and a toffee hammer? wear 2 days, turn inside out, wear 2 days, chip crusty bits off with hammer, turn back to normal, repeat forever?
 obi-wan nick b 20 Jun 2014
In reply to altirando:

> ...wash overnight dry on sack next day...

Guffaw!
 Robert Durran 20 Jun 2014

I once wore a pair of Marks and Spencer underpants for 3 weeks without taking them off. They were fine. If weight is not an issue you could take two pairs and wash them occasionally. They're cheap enough to throw away at the end of the trip if they are particularly soiled.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...