UKC

Cyclist with helmet cam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 19 Jun 2014
I was driving along a winding country lane the other day when I came up behind a cyclist with a notice stuck on his back. The print was just too small to read. It was clear to overtake which I did, and as I drew level with him I could see that the notice read "Warning! Head cam in operation"

The trouble was I was so distracted by trying to read his notice that I nearly drove into him! (Not really!) But my first thoughts were a) What a tw*t, his notice was distracting to drivers thus increasing the risk of a crash rather than decreasing it, and b) why the warning? If someone is going to put him in danger, then so be it if he records it.
 lummox 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

1 out of 10. Must try harder. Next...
 rallymania 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

is there something in law that requires warning of camera use to be made visible if its footage is then to be used in court?

d_b 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

One thing I have often wondered is whether those helmet cams compromise the ability of a foam helmet to protect your head.

I mean, they are supposed to deform as uniformly as possible to absorb impacts. How well can they do this when they are having a tough polycarbonate gopro case & mount pushed through them?

The same thing has occurred to me with some climbing lids.
 rallymania 19 Jun 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

good question... i think in practice the mount would break unless you landed exactly squarely on the camera
 gavster2405 19 Jun 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

I believe from reading between the lines, that the fitment of a camera and subsequent impact of the camera with a rock may have a bearing on the seriousness of the injuries sustained by Michael Schumacher.

I intend getting a GoPro, or similar, but have to say this does concern me a little. On a bike a handlebar mount seems a sensible alternative, although it does restrict what is recorded.

Gavin
 Toby_W 19 Jun 2014
In reply to gavster2405:

Are you serious?

Cheers

Toby
 rallymania 19 Jun 2014
In reply to gavster2405:

on a bike i'd go for the chest strap over helmet anyway, makes for better viewing in my opinion

also as said i think the mounts are designed to snap. if you land a particular way (ie right on top of the camera, i suppose the camera could pile through the helmet into the skull, but i'd suggest an imparct of that kind of force is likely to "f k you up" anyway!

no comment on the schuey thing, hadn't heard that discussed before
 tim000 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

do you get distracted by every bit of writing you see at the side of the road . advert? shop fronts? company names on vans? maybe you shouldn`t be driving if the answer is yes .
 The New NickB 19 Jun 2014
In reply to tim000:

This thread made me think of those stickers you sometimes see in the back of cars in traffic or parked.

"If you can read this, you're too f**king close".
In reply to tim000:

> do you get distracted by every bit of writing you see at the side of the road

Or trucks with signs on the back saying "Cyclists: if you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you".

I'm sure the cyclist in question is trying to use the notice to say "give me some room or I'll have evidence for a PRA Section 59", but the sad reality is that some drivers will respond badly, and the notice will have the opposite effect; the "don't tell me how to drive" brigade.

I've toyed with the idea of recording my journeys, and have played with a couple of cameras, but I think I wouldn't bring attention to them until evidence was required...
 Run_Ross_Run 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Never understood why they need to wear them to be honest. Last go pro vid i saw the cyclist thought he was on some sort of power trip.
Right kn3b head.
 Trevers 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Never understood why they need to wear them to be honest. Last go pro vid i saw the cyclist thought he was on some sort of power trip.

> Right kn3b head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHQXLI8iiM&list=UUSJYSGaIQLBKj5U_KYAbrr...

This might be why^
 FreshSlate 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Something similar happened to me about a week ago. Makes you think about wearing them. Cars can mount dash cams if they wish.
 krikoman 23 Jun 2014
In reply to gavster2405:

> I believe from reading between the lines, that the fitment of a camera and subsequent impact of the camera with a rock may have a bearing on the seriousness of the injuries sustained by Michael Schumacher.

> I intend getting a GoPro, or similar, but have to say this does concern me a little. On a bike a handlebar mount seems a sensible alternative, although it does restrict what is recorded.

> Gavin

<*shakes head*> how do you get out of bed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...