UKC

jet2 baggage restrictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mc2006 20 Jun 2014
Hi all,
I have just had a reply from jet2 regarding myself taking crampons, ice axe and climbing gear in checked in luggage. I enquired if I am able to take them and the reply said " sorry these items are classed as dangerous goods and I will not be able to take the items.
Has anyone had this problem? I may just take the crampons and climbing gear in checked luggage and risk it.

Mike

anaesthetic 20 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

What!?! In checked luggage! Hand luggage sure.... I am due to fly with them on Saturday taking climbing gear and microspikes in checked luggage. This can't be right surely
 anaesthetic 20 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Jet2.com link to CAA hazardous goods info. I'm going off that.
OP mc2006 20 Jun 2014
In reply to anaesthetic:
I agree, hand luggage obviously should be a no. But hold luggage aslong as spikes are protected I dont see a problem.
I checked jet2 website and the caa link and couldn't see anything saying you cant. Unless I missed it.

Im taking them anyway whatever they say. Maybe not an axe though.
Post edited at 13:09
 paulmck 20 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Took axes, crampons ice screws etc. in hold luggage last june with Jet2 from leeds to Geneva. No problems at all. I think they have mis-understood your question and thought you were trying to take them on as hand luggage.

The most that I dare risk taking on as hand luggage is boots, helmet and harness.
 mypyrex 20 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

I've taken crampons plenty of times and always "buried" them in my checked in baggage. I've also carried an ice axe suitably wrapped and protected with gaffer tape. I've never asked if there's likely to be a problem and I've never had a problem.

The nearest I ever came to a problem was about twenty years ago, before the current paranoid state of air travel, when BA said I would have to check my axe in as a separate item
redsonja 20 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Im sure you can take them in checked luggage. I always do. Maybe they don't know what axe and crampons are!! which airport are you flying from?
OP mc2006 20 Jun 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Flying from Leeds, yes I don't think they understood what they are. Im going to take them anyway.
 mypyrex 20 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Does remind me of something I saw at Stansted about four or five years ago. A chap in front of me also with a rucksack was stopped at x-ray and questioned about a "suspicious object" that had shown up. Judging by the conversation it was the pot handle of his stove set.
redsonja 20 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

a couple of years ago at Liverpool they made me throw away my pocket rocket stove as they said it might explode. they couldn't get that it was just the top and not the gas as they kept showing me picture of gas canisters and said they aren't allowed. then they queried me about my camera!!, my flask and boil in the bag meals. they seemed totally clueless and Im always quite nervous flying from Liverpool now incase they make me throw anything away
 spud_23 21 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Shouldn't be an issue in checked luggage as long as spikes and axe blade and protected. Tell them it's sporting equipment which are under separate IATA guidelines
 kevin stephens 21 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:
The Jet2 telemonkey must have misunderstood your question and thought you were asking about hand luggage.
Re stoves: I understand residual amounts of fuel set off the explosive detectors and causes no end of hassle, best to give them a thorough clean then camouflage them by packing amongst climbing hardware
OP mc2006 22 Jun 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

Ok cheers. I think I will be fine after talking to a few people.
In reply to mc2006:

But if you have unusual items it can slow you down. Recently, I was carrying some parts for a model aircraft including an engine in my hand luggage. At Houston airport this was x-rayed, hand-searched thoroughly, x-rayed again, hand-searched again, x-rayed for a third time, and then hand-searched for a third and final time, before I was allowed to proceed. Took about 20 minutes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...