UKC

Particularly annoying adverts on the TV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 20 Jun 2014
There are a few around at the minute that make me want to put my foot through the screen.

These 2 spring to mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=4sZ9G1JHwyg&

youtube.com/watch?v=6HAYf_QJw2g&

RockAngel 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris Harris:

well done, you've just given them free advertising.

in the world of advertising, annoying is good because it makes people talk about them. I find most adverts annoying!
 balmybaldwin 20 Jun 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

The ones that irritate me the most are all the gambling adverts now... 5 years time we will be as bad as america with people having gambling problems
Removed User 20 Jun 2014

Yer, that second one is really annoying, because it depicts Gerrard as a really good England player.
Removed User 20 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> The ones that irritate me the most are all the gambling adverts now... 5 years time we will be as bad as america with people having gambling problems

I'll bet you we won't.
 Bob 20 Jun 2014

err, all of them.
 RockAngel 20 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

a couple of years ago, every other ad was for selling all your gold jewellery. now its 'had an accident?' ads and PPI ads and online gambling disguised as bingo websites. Hence why I usually try and make a brew in the ad breaks or read my book!
 FactorXXX 20 Jun 2014

I'm with Virgin and I either record a program, or pause it at the start if I'm watching it 'live'.
Haven't seen an advert in years.
 balmybaldwin 20 Jun 2014

The worst add I've seen in a while is that awfully dubbed saniflow advert
 yorkshireman 20 Jun 2014

Last night while watching the England match I saw the first adverts I remember seeing in months. I only ever watch stuff online now (I live in France and can't get UK TV any more now they moved the satellite transponders) - I can only remember the stupid betting one with Ray Winston hamming it up all cockney geezer like about in game play - oh and something about getting out of the office early - a beer - Carling or Carlsberg - wasted advertising on me because I've tasted both and no amount of branding can overcome that.

I work for a company who spend billions globally on advertising and most of the marketing managers I speak to are desperate to get away from the 30 second TV spot as its going the way of the dinosaurs - they really want to engage consumers with longer form stuff on YouTube, use social media a lot more and get away from one-way traditional advertising where its much harder to measure the effectiveness of what you're doing.

The people who predominantly watch adverts between TV shows are not the demographic you want to be aiming at - generally older, less tech savvy, less likely to spend money on our products.
 Cú Chullain 20 Jun 2014
There is a painful advert at the moment for a mobile phone that features a 'hip' teenage girl in what appears to be Camden Market giving a monologue on how awesome her phone is before her even more annoying mate creeps up on her and says 'boo'. It is trying so hard to be down with the kids its embarrassing as it is clearly written by a bunch of 40something advertising execs who think they have a grasp on 'yoof' culture.

OP Chris Harris 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> There is a painful advert at the moment for a mobile phone that features a 'hip' teenage girl in what appears to be Camden Market giving a monologue on how awesome her phone is before her even more annoying mate creeps up on her and says 'boo'. It is trying so hard to be down with the kids its embarrassing as it is clearly written by a bunch of 40something advertising execs who think they have a grasp on 'yoof' culture.

I got the impression that they were meant to be mother & daughter.
 mypyrex 20 Jun 2014

Those ads for potions and goodness knows what that are supposed to make your(women's) skin look younger and "contain" an ingredient for which some idiot of an advertising twonk has just come up with some stupid name(Regenerist &c)
Best of it is the women they use in the ads are only in their twenties anyway.
Also the ads for things that are supposed to do wonderful things for your hair.
The stuff might just as well be made of sh*t(probably is)
 Tom Valentine 20 Jun 2014

Annoying because it's trying to make a point where there isn't one - the Twix advert.
 JoshOvki 20 Jun 2014

I am going to go for the reverse and give you a funny ad:

youtube.com/watch?v=w-tr0pVynJs&
 andi turner 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Cú Chullain:

That was the one that spring to my mind too.

youtube.com/watch?v=ulBgSk1VAgI&

really doing my head in with the guy yo-yo'ing the sea cliff
 Yanis Nayu 20 Jun 2014

Ray "Cockney Wanka" Winstone encouraging people to spunk their money gambling. If I had a gun, I would've shot the tv by now.
 Steeve 20 Jun 2014

The one that irritates the hell out of me every time is the breast milk one:

youtube.com/watch?v=8j0TffppjtA&

"IF" you choose to move on?!
what deranged marketing executive decided they'd better not offend the adult breast feeders?
WHEN! its WHEN you move on! surely?!
"hold on guys, we'd better say 'if' - just incase Lysa Tully is watching"
 Firestarter 20 Jun 2014

'You buy one, you get one free. I said you buy one you get one free'. BOGOFF!
 birdie num num 20 Jun 2014

Num Num maintains his serenity by only ever watching the BBC.
However for you folks out there that browse the other channels….

Adverts raising your blood pressure?…Spoiling your televisual experience?
Get the Num Num paper bag to breathe into, The Patent Breather, instant relief!
Just £5.99. Television adverts never got so good.
 sbc_10 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

Yes, there is a lot about modern life that I don't like distilled into that tw@t....

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Iw0acK3Jb6c/mqdefault.jpg
 Firestarter 21 Jun 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Yep, that's the fella. A cross between Henry The Eighth and that bloke on Pirates of the Caribbean who's got the mate with the wooden eye. But a damn sight more annoying. Keelhaul him I say.

Anyone watched Aussie TV? Nuff said...
 Strachan 21 Jun 2014

The jingle from the Autoglass adverts makes my skin crawl.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...