UKC

Raven Crag Threshthwaite Cove Clean?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Lincoln 20 Jun 2014
Any lakes lads been in the last week or so? (since ban was lifted?)

Whats the state of the pegs on Top Gear and Internal?

Cheers guys!
 Fiend 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=589587 - not much info.

Feel free to put loads of chalk on when you're there, I'm super keen. Let us know how it does in a westerly breeze too.
 Bob 21 Jun 2014

There's no pegs on Top Gear. The crux corner of TG will be dirty/dusty but the shield should be fine.
OP Adam Lincoln 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

I doubt this will be of interest to anyone as no one seems to climb in the lakes anymore.
Top gear is pretty dirty. Though does now have chalk on it. Am buggered if iam going to clean it as no one will go there again for a season or so.

Incidently, and look away now if you dont want to blow the onsight. Unless you want an exciting experience, take some small micro cams. Obvious slot which would protect a nasty massive fall making the dirty awkward moves to reach the sloping ledge.
 Andrew Wilson 21 Jun 2014

We saw a couple of people climb it last year, and most of the other routes had seen traffic. We did a couple of e3's and an e2.
I know what you mean though, when you compare the levels of traffic to Wales or the Peak District it is very quiet.
How does Top Gear compare to GTX by the way?
OP Adam Lincoln 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

only done top gear but would be e5 in wales. Guidebook should state that a crucial microcam is needed really....
 Bob 21 Jun 2014

I had the exciting experience! Got to the sloping ledge to find it was wet - had to hand traverse it rightwards for a way before I could get on to it.

The other E4s (Running on Empty & Boy Racer) are much more reasonable for those compared to soft Welsh grades

The "problem" if it is one, with Raven Threshthwaite is that the easiest route is a hard E2 so it becomes self limiting in that there's not that many interested in mountain routes these days and even fewer at that level so they go for the low hanging fruit. Even back in their heyday, the 1970s & 80s most Lakes mountain routes weren't "clean" in the sense that every hold and runner placement were obvious. Lack of traffic is only going to make them worse. It just needs people to climb with a soft brush and clean as much as they can whilst they climb.
 Fiend 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

Why doesn't Raven get the attention and publicity that Dove does though?
 Andrew Wilson 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Fiend:

Possibly the 3 star classic hard rock routes?
Even those are usually filthy though.
 Fiend 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

It's the Fast And Furious buttress that seems to get all the attention at Dove, and the entry level there is a lot higher than Raven.
 Bob 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Fiend:

There was a concerted effort to clean up North Buttress on Dove a couple of years ago. Goat Crag in Borrowdale also got the treatment. Maybe Raven Threshthwaite also needs it.

It's a steady walk to the crag apart from the last few hundred metres, you can fix an abseil at the top to save walking down (simply remove the gear after your last route) . All this and great routes in the modern style. What's not to like?
 Fiend 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

> What's not to like?

The lack of bolts and boulder problems??

The reasons you gave are exactly why I am so keen to go back there, filth or not.
 petegunn 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Fiend:
The boulders below seem to see get more action these days!
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=60721
Post edited at 23:03
 ctodd 23 Jun 2014

Cheers for the info all. Hopefully threads like this can help to spread the word and get some clean routes!

If anyone gets up there on GTX/Grand Prix, info welcomed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...