UKC

Smartphone battery life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 20 Jun 2014
My contract is due for renewal. I have an S2, great phone, but the battery life stinks. Ongoing battle to keep the thing charged. use it for texts, calls, surfing the net and the odd game.

So my question is which smartphone has the best battery life? It doesn't need to be anyone advanced than my current S2.
 Dax H 20 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I typically get a full day out of my experia z1 compact.
That's a few hours of calls per day, 10 hours connected via bluetooth, maybe a hours Web use and a hour or so using documents to go.
It's normally down to about 20 to 30% by bed time.
 Jim Fraser 21 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

So long as you have the typical smartphone facilities the battery life will be a problem.

There are bricks out there these days that give you nearly a month of standby on 2G and in other territories there are some exceptionally long lasting ones.

If you stick with the smartphone concept then usually you either walk around with a charger or institute some controls on energy use. Controlling wifi and bluetooth throughput, taking care with what apps can do without your approval and turning down the screen brightness can help a lot. The screen brightness bit is a pain in the summer.
 Only a hill 21 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

A galaxy note 3 will usually give 2-3 days of standby for an average user, or a full day for the very heavy user. When I had one it was impossible to run it down in a day regardless of what I did with it.
OP goldmember 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Cheers for the suggestion, just had a look its massive!

I like the look of the sony whats it like to use?
 Ben07 21 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

You can get high capacity batteries for everything except iphone for a few £ssss aswell.
 Only a hill 21 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> Cheers for the suggestion, just had a look its massive!

Laws of physics I'm afraid ... To get a huge increase in battery life you have to have a huge battery!
 Axel Smeets 21 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I've recently got Sony Xperia Z2 and the battery life is the best I've ever had from a smartphone. Moderate user and it lasts a day very easily (normally around 30-40% when I go to bed)
 girlymonkey 21 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

A girl on a DofE exped I was supervising was adamant that listening to music on her phone would increase the charge of her phone!! Her parents were paying a fortune for education too!!
I get a week of fairly constant usage out of my Samsung solid, and thwts after 4 years!
 Dauphin 21 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Juice Defender Ultimate gets a couple of days out of my S3.

D
 The Lemming 21 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> My contract is due for renewal. I have an S2, great phone, but the battery life stinks.

I get around the problem of low battery power at work, 12 hour shifts, by carrying a Power Pack. The one I have, will charge my phone 5.5 times from empty but I use it to top my phone up towards the end of a shift. That way I don't have to worry about the Power pack for a few weeks. The Power Pack will give one full recharge of my Nexus 7 and tops up just about anything else should I be away from a mains power supply for a while.

The Power Pack charges my phone faster than a wall-charger and isn't too big to be noticed in a pocket or small bag.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/15000mAh-Portable-External-smartphones-lightning/dp...
 Dax H 22 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> I like the look of the sony whats it like to use?

Pretty much the same as any other Android phones.
A few settings are different to my old Samsung s2 but once I got used to them it'sfine.
Waterproof too.
 boriselbrus 22 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I have a Samsung Galaxy xCover 2, similar spec to the S2 but it's waterproof, shockproof, dust proof etc. I generally get 3 days out of the battery between charges. Got it from Amazon sim free for about £150 and very happy with it.
 FreshSlate 23 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

S5 battery is very good. Get a full day heavy usage. You can turn on ultra power saving mode and get 2 weeks on standby, no joke.
 gethin_allen 23 Jun 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I got a HTC ONE mini mk2 recently and I've been quite surprised by the battery life. I'm not a heavy user but I can get over 2 days of reasonable use out of it.
 hamsforlegs 24 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Similar here - if I have it running huge downloads, using web-based apps, using GPS and making lots of calls I can just about get it down under 10% by bedtime.

Normal use (1-2 hours of music, 30 mins or so of web browsing, a couple of calls), it will be at 40-60% at the end of the day.

Fairly impressed.

It also has staggered power management, so you can step down its use in two phases if you know you will be a while between charges.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...