UKC

Fairhead info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveb2006 21 Jun 2014
Hello all

Hoping to do a cheapish trip to Fairhead soon.

Poss 2 people (but maybe 4) with gear / abb rope / camping stuff (lightweight)

Any advice on most efficient / econonical way of getting there from East Midlands area...

Looks to me like driving - Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire is best option as can take own car and camping gear.

But other possibility is flying to Belfast and car hire - maybe stay in hostel to reduce gear - but tricky to include abb rope in 20kg limit?

About accomodation - recomended camp sites or hostels ?

Any advice / useful comments appreciated

Cheers

Steve
 Firestarter 21 Jun 2014
http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/Camping-and-Caravans.T212.aspx

Driving might be best as there is no camping close enough to Fairhead, and for some of the bigger routes a 100m ab might be required.

The above link should help with camping.

Ferry from Cairnryan - Belfast might be cheaper, though you will have to drive up. Alternatively, get the train and hire car/campervan when you get to Belfast.

If you come via Dun Laoghaire don't forget Euro for toll road.
dwb 21 Jun 2014
In reply to steveb2006:

This may be of interest. There is a cottage for hire at the parking spot from where all cliffs are easily walkable.See the below email I received from the Ballycastle tourist board.I didn't follow it up for various reasons. On my visit to Fair head 2 years ago we made contact with a local activist called Kieren. This guy was extremely helpful to us not just giving advice but loaning us v. large cams ab ropes which was very trusting. Unfortunately I have no contact details but I'm sure someone on this site should have them.

Harriet Hamilton
To Me
13 Nov 2012
Good afternoon

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the National Trust properties near Fairhead. I can confirm that the National Trust own Coolanlough Cottage, 39 Fairhead Road, Ballycastle. It is a two bedroom property with 1 reception room. To rent this property you must contact the National Trust direct on 028 9751 0721. I hope this information is useful to you but should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Dawn

Harriet Hamilton
Tourism Advisor

Ballycastle Tourist Information Centre
Sheskburn House
7 Mary Street
Ballycastle
BT54 6QH
Tel: +44(0)28 2076 2024
Fax: +44(0)28 2076 2515
E-mail tourism@moyle-council.org
www.moyle-council.org
www.causewaycoastandglens.com
www.discovernorthernireland.com
dwb 21 Jun 2014
In reply to dwb:

My plan which didn't come to fruition was for my team to go as foot passengers from Cairnryan to Belfast or Larne carrying as much gear as required .Catch a bus to Ballycastle ,buy a load of provisions and get a taxi to the cottage (about 5 miles or so). The guy "Kieren" even said he'd lend us a car which seemed unlikely but checking with some friends of mine who'd been previously he actually lent them his house and he scarcely knew them!
In reply to steveb2006:

Hi
We live in Sheffield and did the Stranraer to Belfast crossing then it was approx an hour or so drive to Ballycastle.

We stayed at the Castle Hostel in Ballycastle which had bunks you can probably get a room for all for of you. There is a kitchen and you can use and a nice lounge to sit in for breakfast etc. Have cut and pasted the address and phone number and web address

Address: 38 Quay Rd, Ballycastle BT54 6BH
Phone:028 2076 2845
http://www.castlehostel.co.uk/

Its a quick walk into town and there are several decent pubs in Ballycastel
Would second the other comment. I have a 100m static line and it proved really useful to allow us to do a single abseil into most of the areas. it would have been a real pain without it in lots of the areas.

Lots of brilliant routes to do am dead jealous

Have a fun time !!
 auld al 23 Jun 2014
In reply to steveb2006:

You can actually camp in Sean's field beside the carpark very cheaply. This is basic but in a lovely quiet spot 5 mins walk from crag
In reply to auld al: The site is basic and quiet, but I would never stay there even if it was free, it's a complete waste of time for a serious trip to the head.

Go to the Castle Hostel and enjoy good food, comfortable beds, warm showers and a chance to recover after a day climbing. None of the ablve are available at the campsite/field next to the car park!

OP steveb2006 23 Jun 2014
In reply to steveb2006:

Thanks all - some useful info there.
M0nkey 23 Jun 2014
In reply to steveb2006:

depending on how the cost works out I'd be inclined to go with your driving option. You could check out the Mournes for a day on your trip if the weather didn't suit then.
 Aigen 23 Jun 2014
In reply to dwb:

If you manage to find out the price of the Coolanlough Cottage could you please let me know. Thanks.
 Firestarter 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Aigen:

National Trust website has it on 12 months for £300 pcm plus rates. I've emailed them asking if they do short-term (holiday) lets. When I hear from them I'll post on here.
In reply to steveb2006:

Apparently the new guidebook is printed but someone forgot to order the plastc covers for it - it should be in the shops very soon.
 auld al 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

The OP did mention cheapish and camping. I was merely supplying the requested information (£5/night BTW)
 kevin stephens 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

I've got my copy, it's brilliant
 FreshSlate 25 Jun 2014
In reply to auld al:

Nothing wrong with that. Some people are soft and old.
 Firestarter 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Aigen:

The cottage is indeed let by NT on an annual basis, no short term holiday letting. Currently occupied.
davehinton 25 Jun 2014
In reply to steveb2006:

Camping vs Ballycastle Hostel?

Ballycastle: Bed, showers, kitchen, lounge, wi-fi, toast, tea and coffee provided, great pubs within minutes walking distance, multiple food options. £17.50

Camping: Uncut grass field full of sh*t with no amenities (no toilets). Sorry, 200m down the road 1 x cold water tap in the carpark. £5

Your choice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...