UKC

Massive destruction in Mordor, Dinorwig Slate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
king tubby 21 Jun 2014
Visited Mordor in the Dinorwig Quarries and there has been HUGE devastation from rock fall. The hut has been crushed and serene fern atmosphere wiped out. Is this related to the recent filming that closed the quarries? If it is then, in my opinion criminal proceedings should commence. Massively disappointed to have a place I loved destroyed
king tubby 22 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

Thanks lewk for the link, but I'm still concerned of a possible link to filming. I was last in there on june5th before the scheduled shut down on the 11th for filming. Considering this area had been stable for a long time and to be suddenly destroyed during the closure for filming seems a bit coincidental. I have a great reverence for the quarries history and the remnants of its past as items of historical significance. The thought of the movie industry blowing shit up for some crap film makes my blood run cold. Anybody else with knowledge?
king tubby 22 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

Sorry. Lost world, not Mordor.
 Jack_Lewin 22 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

Big shame!

I would hope part of the conditions of the film company using the quarry were that blowing the crap out of it was off limits! And that the damage would be noted and action taken...
Removed User 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Jack_Lewin:

It's pretty unlikely really, don't you think?

I mean if you'd seen the state of the wall before it fell .. it was just a matter of time. Rain just sped up the process. Would have thought if anything the guys filming would have kept their distance from any loose rock.
king tubby 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Exo- there are several potential vantage points overlooking the rock fall where a camera crew could work safely.
 Banned User 77 22 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

These happen all the time.. especially after periods of heavy rain.. very much doubt it would be to do with filming.
In reply to king tubby: "Considering the area had been stable for a long time..."

I assume you carried out a full geological survey on this area in order to be able to state that it was stable? Jesus.

FactorXXX 23 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

In all probability, the rock fall is purely natural.
However, if it isn't, so what. If the land owners have given permission for it to be altered by whatever means, then so be it.
 Jonny2vests 23 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

Who in the film business actually blows anything up these days?
J1234 23 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

Lets hope they don`t start extracting slate again and damaging those climbs of world importance, I bet you would get really mad then.
 jkarran 23 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

> The thought of the movie industry blowing shit up for some crap film makes my blood run cold.

I think you may be underestimating what's involved in 'blowing shit up' on this scale. I suspect you're also overestimating the historic stability of the quarries.

jk
 Red Rover 30 Jun 2014
In reply to king tubby:

That place has always been unstable, it was only a matter of time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...