UKC

June Conditions Triglav

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What can I expect in the Slovenian alps in the second half of June? Is there likely to be snow and are the via ferrata still doable with an ice axe?
 Paul Atkinson 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Full moon addict:

I can't speak for conditions this year but I did it as a fell run in my normal kit I would use for the Lakes in late June a couple of years ago. I asked about the conditions in one of the climbing shops which also offered guiding. Soloing the equipped bit was nothing that would upset an experienced climber - I'm not a big soloist as a rule
crisp 22 Jun 2014

I live across the border in Udine and paddlecthe Soca regularly. Most of the snow has melted but I will ask around this week at the Alpine Club. You could also email the activity providers and tourist information in Bovec for more information. Or ring them, everyone in Slovenia speaks very good english.
 Paul Atkinson 22 Jun 2014

Spik was also a cracking run if you're looking for things to do....
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

thanks Paul. Its actually for a trip next year. I'm thinking of an alps end to end trip so wondered whether to start at monaco or in the julian alps. I'd like to do some peaks rather than just following a major trail. the lightweight axe isn't a problem, but crampons would add to the weight. might have camping gear too, so weight will be an issue. any other suggestions on good routes/peaks?
 Paul Atkinson 24 Jun 2014

I only got the 2 big runs in on that trip - was with my wife who doesn't run. Would certainly highly recommend the 2 I mentioned though. The way I went up Spik involved a partially equipped scramble up a cliff that looked like Cloggy - really spectacular

have fun P
Kaizen Adventurer 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Full moon addict: https://twitter.com/kaizenadventur1 copy this link into your browser the background is a picture of Triglav in late June. Water hard to find (snow not withstanding) due to the limestone

Duco 29 Jun 2014

I'm from Slovenia - I can't say for sure about the conditions next year, but late June is generally quite okay for the via ferattas. There might be some snow left in the shades and gullies, and I'd still take an ice axe (and, yes, sometimes crampons as well) with me. But majority of the route should be already bare rock. There will also probably be some routes that have no snow left.

If you need more info when you plan to visit, send me PM and I can provide you with current conditions.
10rshurst 06 Jul 2014

Hi, did Triglav a few weeks back, ice axe and crampons were essential. Not for the Vf which was fine but there were a lot of snow fields. Absolutely cracking, varied couple of days.
 d_b 06 Jul 2014
In reply to 10rshurst:

Nicely done.

I'm starting my trip down this evening. Unfortunately it looks as though you got the last of the good weather!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...