UKC

Chamonix PD+ or AD- Early Sept 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Raymondo 23 Jun 2014
Hi All,
I have 3 weeks in Swiss Alps in Aug, then back in UK for 1st week of Sept.

I am half thinking about maybe one week or 10 days in Chamonix, from approx. 8th Sept. But my dates are a little flexible.

I would like to do some sub 4000m routes at grade PD+ or AD-
Thinking of ....
Aiguille du Tour
Aiguille du Moine
Aiguille du Agentiere
.............and/or similar peaks.

Start at grade PD+ , then progress to AD-

Any one half interested ?

Raymondo

OP Raymondo 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

No one interested then ?
At all ?
 jon 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

No sorry, but beware of the Aiguille d'Argentière in September - the summit slope of the Ordinary Route (the Milieu Glacier) which you would inevitably descend even if you'd done another route, becomes grey and icy very quickly. Definitely check conditions on this one before going. Hope you find a partner...
 Webster 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

im in the area and potentially partnerless at that time, could be up for something, though im after 4000m+ at a minimum of AD. why are you wanting to stay low?
OP Raymondo 02 Jul 2014
In reply to jon:
>beware of the Aiguille d'Argentière in September....

Yes, I will take head of this.
OP Raymondo 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Webster:
>why are you wanting to stay low?

I'm doing some 4000ers in August (see wishlist), so may be up for some 4000ers in Sept.

Would like to see the Table du Roc again after all these years.

And some of the sub-4000 look realy nice !
eg the Aiguille du Moine - 3412m - South Face PD or South Ridge AD-
10rshurst 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

Hi ray, I live near chamonix, give me a shout nearer the time, would be happy to do a few routes
 Webster 10 Jul 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

will be in touch nearer the time and see how things pan out.

thanks

David
OP Raymondo 11 Jul 2014
Getting some good response, both via this forum, and via pm.

Will keep everyone updated in due course.

Bruce Hooker 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

> the Aiguille du Moine - 3412m - South Face PD or South Ridge AD-

The ridge is a lot better, the face is a heap rubble. There's only one bit that merits the grade.
 Bruce Hooker 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

I meant there's only one pitch on the ridge that merits the grade AD.
OP Raymondo 15 Jul 2014

I've just checked the guide book, and although the picture of the south face looks interesting (albeit from afar), the same book describes it... "surprisingly the face is rather featureless, the climbing straightforward and not particularly interesting."

Might have to go up the ridge then.

Bruce Hooker 17 Jul 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

The S face of the Moine is the normal descent route, you can scramble down without following any particular route... caution is required all the same as a fall could still be deadly, a few years ago someone posted about his son (I think) who was killed after a fall on this face.

There are two other peaks on this ridge leading up to the Aiguille Verte, the Cardinal and the Eveque, which also have reasonably graded climbs on them and can be done from the same refuge.
 kevnet 18 Jul 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

Im going to be in the Alps from the 12th August till the 26th so would be interested in doing something with you if these dates are any good.
please get in touch, regards kevin
OP Raymondo 21 Jul 2014

I believe the Eveque has some nice routes of a suitable grade, so that may be a goer, too.
OP Raymondo 21 Jul 2014
In reply to kevnet:

Sorry mate, I'm fully tied up in August, so the dates are Sept.

I did say the 8th which is a Monday, but maybe Friday 5th or Sat 6th Sept.
OP Raymondo 09 Aug 2014
I,ve just sent some pvte mail (pm) to potential partners, but if i missed any contenders off, please re-send me a pm.

Currently travelling, so internet access is patchy.

Ta.
In reply to Raymondo:

alpine grades are very fickle, pd+ may not in reality be any easier than ad-. It's not so much about progressing from one to the other but more about building a base of experience that you can solve most problems with! Better to look at the route and decide based on that. In my experience I've also found swiss pd in the saastal much easier than French pd in chamonix. Enjoy your trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...