UKC

Lakeland 50/100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 23 Jun 2014
It's next on the horizon......I'm in for the hundred. Who else is in?
 Tall Clare 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Mr TC is doing the 50 for the first time and is a bit terrified. My friend is doing the 50 for the third time and seems quite excited about it.

KevinJ 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Wonrek:
I'm in for the 50 and feeling very nervous. Mixture of positive nerves re the anticipation, with some worries about not enough training, and wondering if I'm going to struggling with fuelling later in the event. At this stage, not worried about where I finish, as long as I do finish!
I'm looking forward to it.
Good luck with the 100.
Post edited at 19:16
OP Wonrek 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Ooh, I didn't realise Mr TC was an ultra runner too? With all the hills in your parts he shouldn't have too many problems.

So am I the only fool in the 100?! What have I bitten off this time, yikes!!
OP Wonrek 23 Jun 2014
In reply to KevinJ:

I've found you can wing 50 miles. Eat whatever you can whenever you can, there's no such thing as too much. That saying about the first 50 is in your legs and thereafter it's in your head is very true.

Have you done 50 before?
 didntcomelast 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Wonrek:
Did the 50 last year, great fun, though a little hard on the legs. Only lost 2 toenails so planned to do the 100 this year, managed to seriously break my ankle though and now cannot run 10 miles let alone 100.
Looking at trying either next year or the year after. Remember each checkpoint is another one down, think no further than that and they soon pass.

The very best of luck.
 KevinJ 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Wonrek:
My apologies, I haven't checked this thread for a few days.
This will be my first 50. I have done some multi day events, but am pushing myself a little with this one. I've managed to get out for a few recce runs, and have extended my weekend training runs to make sure I get used to eating regularly.
I'm sure I could have found an easier first 50 miler!
OP Wonrek 30 Jun 2014
In reply to KevinJ:

Yes I'm sure you could! And as far as 100s go, yep there's easier and races with utmb points too....

Still can't wait, just book accomodation thankfully so only two nights out on the trail then
OP Wonrek 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Getting closer now.....
 Richie Rich 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

I'm in for the 100 and it'll be my 1st time at this distance so more than a little apprehensive!
I have done the 50 3 times so thought it time to step up to the long one, my training hasn't gone quite to plan in the last 6 months so that isn't helping my confidence, combined with doing the full route a couple of weeks ago over 3 days and wondering how hard it's going to be doing it in 1 go.

Best of luck to everyone toeing the line.
100 for me!

OP Wonrek 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Dave Douglas - Awesome Walls:

And how are you feeling about that Dave? I'm sh*%}ing myself tbh!

Picked up an ITB niggle a few weeks ago which has pretty much quashed my running. Instead I've been hitting the gym and spin classes really hard in the hopes it'll be enough......
In reply to Wonrek:

Pulled my back on Friday but up until then I was on top form.

Unsure whether i'll be running now as I can't even tie my shoe laces, never mind climb over a stile or two...

Baron Weasel 20 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

I will be handing out refreshments in Buttermere. Good luck people!
OP Wonrek 21 Jul 2014

Oh no! Hope it eases off in time! Most of those I know in fir the hundred are coming down with some form of crock. I've got ITB niggles others back, calves etc.

I wonder whether it's training or that we're so far into the season now that injuries have had chance to develop?
notaclue 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Would anyone be willing to share their training plan for the 100? I am training for a 50 mile in Oct (3*3000 Lakes) and want to enter The Lakeland 100 next year. Before doing so just want to make sure I would be able to find the time to do the necessary training to do it justice.

Goodluck all for the weekend - hope it is less humid than last weekend when i did Kentmere Fell race
OP Wonrek 23 Jul 2014
In reply to notaclue:
I would......but I've never followed one!

I simply run, x train and back to back whenever I can.....in other words I wing it lol!

In all seriousness I have over the last two years planned a series of races gradually increasing distance and difficulty of terrain each time. This year I'm planning on doing 5-6 100 milers which gave now become training in themselves.

Too much for some (before I get shot down) but it works for me. Lakeland will be my third 100 this year and I've dome many other races alongside that to support the plan.

Oh and learn how to read a map......priceless!
 Tall Clare 27 Jul 2014
So how did everyone do? My word was it warm (and I was just a supporter!)

OP Wonrek 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Warm would be understating it a little. I reckon we started in 27 degree heat on Friday night and the temp just didn't drop overnight. The climbs were beyond brutal especially coming out of Wasdale iirc.

I just couldn't get it going right from the start. Couldn't hydrate enough, trouble with breathing, not sweating out any salts (that was weird)

Anyway the Buttermere to Braithwaite section was the killer for me. Dizzy, stumbling off the path, sliding down the mountain were bad enough but lying in a pool of your own vomit at night and unable to get out of it was pretty horrendous.
Still I made it to Braithwaite somehow and decided to try one last section as I knew the Blrncathra stage wasn't quite as challenging. Nope, dizzy, sick, tripping over, legs like lead and that was my day over.

45 miles in. Next year that bitch is mine!

Anyone else?

Was great to see you btw
Clauso 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

> Dizzy, stumbling off the path, sliding down the mountain were bad enough but lying in a pool of your own vomit at night and unable to get out of it was pretty horrendous.

Sliding down a mountain aside, you've pretty much just described a regular Friday night out for some of the locals where I live...
XXXX 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

That's a real shame. How are you now?

I was hoping you would let me know how it compared to the other 100s you've done. I did the Lakeland100 in 2012 in a respectable 32 hours but it wiped me out. (It also wasn't as hot as that!) Hallucinations, back, legs, feet totally ruined, horror. I vowed never to go above 50 again but if it's actually an order of magnitude tougher than all the others then...

The first half is definitely the harder by the way. After Blencathra you've only really got two more big climbs as far as I can remember. Although I might have been asleep!

OP Wonrek 28 Jul 2014
In reply to XXXX:
I'm back to normal now thankfully, no lasting harm done despite trying very hard!

If I were to compare it to other 100s, ok the heat added an extra dimension of torture but I'd say it was a nails course. Fully intend to kick it into touch next year though.

Hoping to get a place on the North Downs Way 100 fun run in a couple of weeks because it'll be a walk in the park in comparison!

And well done on a 32 hr finish!
Post edited at 14:46
 control freak 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Good effort on getting that far in those conditions, I had to stand under a tree in a hat just to cheer you lot off on Friday night. Saturday afternoon's heat was hideous and what you describe feeling sounds very familiar! I've completed it twice before and this was by far the hardest so far - I couldn't carry enough water and actually fell off the path at Mardale. When I got stung by a wasp shortly afterwards I couldn't work out if I was having an allergic reaction or if I just felt so awful because I was dehydrated

I've never seen so many people vomiting in a race, it gave being sick a communal feel!

Hope you recover quickly.
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2014
In reply to control freak:

I've just seen a picture of you and Iain looking pretty cheerful... I think it must have been right at the start
 control freak 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

It was! It took at least 17 paces before my legs started feeling like lead
 KevinJ 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:
Sorry to hear that. Every checkpoint I passed through on the 50 seemed to have a 100 competitor struggling to keep food in.
Was pleased to finish, but want to try again next year to bring a few hours off my time.

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the North Downs Way, I am considering the Pilgrim Challenge in January as a two day. Should be a bit cooler!
 Richie Rich 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

The heat was overbearing at times, especially bad sections for me were the climb up onto Gobarrow as there was no breeze at all Ullswater looked like a mirror. The slog up Fusedale over high kop and along Haweswater had me stopping at every stream to dunk my head to try and cool down but the water I soaked myself with evaporated in less than 5 mins.

Great race though got round in 31:52 and 53rd position, will be going for sub 30 next year if it's cooler.
In reply to all:

I had to pull out at Howtown-

http://www.delamerespartans.org.uk/spartan-blog/ive-got-99-problems-son-and...

Next race on the agenda is The Ring 'O' Fire in four weeks.
 Baron Weasel 29 Jul 2014
In reply to Richie Rich:

Who won? Charlie Sharp was leading at Buttermere by a good few minutes. Was interesting seeing the range of abilities of those who entered at the 25 mile point.
XXXX 29 Jul 2014

Bloody hell. Does that fix itself or do you need a doctor? Is it common? You've got me worried!
 Tall Clare 29 Jul 2014

Ow ow ow! I think I saw you back at Coniston. Sorry you had to pull out but that sounds excruciating!
In reply to XXXX:

All the Doctor said was take it easy until the results come back. I feel as fit as a fiddle!

Dave.
In reply to Tall Clare:

You should of said hello...

It was only painful in one particular area but that soon passed!

Dave.
PS- Seen Roger lately?
In reply to all:
Here's the full tale of woe…

http://bit.ly/wallmanUTLD100Full

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...