UKC

Cyprus - Silly Question (Perhaps) Alert!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OK, so I have booked myself into a lovely hotel with my wife and children for two weeks at the end of July, just outside Paphos.

Ive not been to that part of the world before so I'll admit my geographical knowledge of the area was, well, non existent.

Ive just looked it up on Google Maps and, yikes, I can see that it is surrounded by the most troubled part of the world. Syria and Iraq to the east, Egypt to the south. Turkey to the north. Lebanon, Jordan and Isreal south east. The distances arent that far either. Libya just around the corner too.

Should I be concerned?
 Graham Booth 24 Jun 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Erm no
 Padraig 24 Jun 2014

Safe as houses. Akrotiri & Dhekelia will be your friend in the event of need for quick evacuation. FWIW i reckon the Turks to the east prob pose the biggest threat?
 Phil79 24 Jun 2014

Its also (I think) the only remaining divided country in EU, the northern bit being occupied by the Turks and UN administered buffer zone separating the two sides. And plus a large UK military presence etc.

TBH I think its considered very safe, with no recent history of any problems.
 andrewmc 24 Jun 2014

Although you should probably still be concerned about the state of the world in general; it is very easy to pretend it isn't happening from our remote little corner of the world!
 Padraig 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Phil79:

> Its also (I think) the only remaining divided country in EU, the northern bit being occupied by the Turks and UN administered buffer zone separating the two sides.

Ireland?

Phil79 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Padraig:

Yep, I thought there would be at least one blindingly obvious example I had missed!
 andrewmc 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Padraig:

The EU (and significant fractions of the rest of the world) hold the northern parts of Cyprus to be part of the sovereign territory of the Republic of Cyprus, and the northern part to be militarily occupied illegally by Turkey. There is a neutral zone observed by UN peacekeepers. No matter what your opinion on Ireland, and on the past history of the island, there is currently political understanding and an open border.
 Blue Straggler 24 Jun 2014

Have you been reading Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction again? This is the central thread of the first third of the book.

More importantly, it's a shame you are at the wrong end of the island for Cape Greco which has some pretty good climbing. I did some cragging around Troodos as well, so you might be able to find something nearer your end. Paphos is a bit touristy so make sure you strike north up to Latsi and the Akamas Peninsula, well worth a day out
 Greenbanks 24 Jun 2014

You will be more likely to encounter problems with purrulent, red English drunks with copious tattoos
 RomTheBear 24 Jun 2014
> Should I be concerned?

No, if anything it's probably safer than the UK.
If you're looking for some climbing there is some good sport climbing at http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=8708
Post edited at 12:53
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Phew, OK, I told you it was probably a bit of a silly question. The horseshoe surrounding little Cyprus looks likes the who's who of mental states.

As we're staying at a nice hotel, the only red drunken Englander is likely to be me.

Ta

In reply to RomTheBear:
> No, if anything it's probably safer than the UK.

> If you're looking for some climbing there is some good sport climbing at http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=8708

That looks awesome, and just down the road.
Post edited at 12:59
 RomTheBear 24 Jun 2014

> That looks awsesome, and just down the road.

The "extreme view" cafe just before on the road is very good too.
Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2014

For a bit more climbing info, such as when crags/sectors are in the shade (important because most of the crags aren't very climable in late July) try http://www.cyprusrocks.eu
In reply to AndrewW:
Thanks. I assume the rocks are a bit warm, no?
 winhill 24 Jun 2014

I did read recently that some the jihadists going from the UK were entering Syria via Cyprus (didn't specify north or south but you'd think it would be north).

So you may find that you and Fatima get a decent cavity search on the way home.
In reply to winhill:

> So you may find that you and Fatima get a decent cavity search on the way home.

I hope so.
 Firestarter 24 Jun 2014

The friendliest Med Island I've ever visited. Lovely place and people. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2014

> Thanks. I assume the rocks are a bit warm, no?

It's set to get into the forties inland over the next few days. End of July, beginning of Aug is usually hotter. Don't even think of bringing a trad rack, sport climbs in the shade will be your best bet.
mgco3 24 Jun 2014

Yes , you should be very concerned. Aiya Napa is a probably the most dangerous part of the Med. There are so many drunken british yobs and yobettes that even ISIS wouldnt ruddy well venture there!!
 Dauphin 24 Jun 2014
If you are there for a couple of weeks a trip over the line of control into the Turkish north would be well worth it. There is a couple of places where you can cross though most greek cyriots would not tell you this. Definitely the most attractive part of the Island and some Idyllic beaches up the pan handle, turtles.

Not how I imagined it - and the turkish cypriots are some the friendliest people on earth. Spend a week there on a cheap flight/hotel package, jibbed the beach and hotel off, got a hire car and went exploring around Troodos and over the border.

Oh yeah and the hills make it cooler.

D
Post edited at 21:05
Simos 24 Jun 2014

It's a troubled region indeed but if I managed 20 odd years there growing up I am sure you'll be fine for a couple of weeks having said this I did have a military camp within the grounds of my primary school and the buffer zone within breathing distance and somehow still felt very safe so I am sure my sense of danger is a bit skewed

Don't know much about the outdoors climbing in Cyprus, I only went to a crag near Paphos called Kourtelorotsos and i found it to be pretty good. I'll be going this summer and will try to get some deep water soloing this time, makes sense with the hear etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...