UKC

NEWSFLASH: James McHaffie Solos 100 Lakes Extremes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Jun 2014
James McHaffie in Margalef, Spain, 4 kbTop British trad climber, James 'Caff' McHaffie yesterday soloed 100 routes of E1 and above in the Lake District.

This is no mean feat when you consider that many of these routes are many pitches long, and on crags that are fairly well spread apart...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68999
 Offwidth 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

gobsmacked...
 Darron 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

The finest achievement ever by a British trad climber?
 HeMa 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Darron:

> The finest achievement ever by a British trad climber?

What does this have to do with trad? I'd say finest achievement by a British rock climber.

Albeit Fawcett's 100 Peak Extremes might still trump this, considering it was done so long ago. Naturally what McHaffie did now, was without a doubt harder (longer distances between routes, and also longer routes).
 MattH 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

wow!
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing effort! Would be great to see the list of routes, I wonder how many pitches that equates to?
 Jimbo C 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Top effort! Just the walking/ running between crags alone would be a good day out for most.
 Owen W-G 24 Jun 2014
Wouldn't surprise me if the vertical distance is double or more what big Ron achieved.

Did James have a dedicated driver?

Would love to see the ticklist and e-point count.
 TMM 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Qualifies as a QMD.
 Arms Cliff 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

But... did he make it to the pub for last orders? Must have been pushing it!
 goose299 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Legend!!
 Adam Hocking 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Yes! Made it in time for a pint of Cumberland. Myself and others filmed what we could along the way (he was moving very quickly). I'll be making a film about the day, fingers crossed i can find sometime to do that for Kendal Mountain Film Festival. Quite possibly one of the finest historical feats in British rock climbing. Well done Caff....
 IainWhitehouse 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one James.
In reply to UKC News:

As others have said surely a lot tougher day out than soloing 100 extremes in the peak district, that was amazing, this is doubly impressive.

Those E3's on Reecastle are two of my hardest ever leads and he looked like he was on an approach scramble.
andreas 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I hope his Mum doesn't read this...
 royal 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Bloody hell, that's very impressive.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Outstanding!

Chris
 Henry Iddon 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

It was a remarkable feat to witness.
 Andy Moles 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely amazing.

Maybe just because I can relate to what's involved more easily than a super-hard redpoint or whatever, this is one of the most impressive climbing things I've ever heard.
 neilh 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

That is impressive.
Nice one Caff!!

Truly inspirational...
 Sean Kelly 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

It would be nice to see the full list of climbs that were ascended.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Adam Hocking:

101 for you now then Hock?
 Carless 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Hellfire! That's impressive
 Michael Hood 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News: Mega-impressive; as well as the list it'd be interesting to know if any were on-sight.

Anyone on for 100 extremes in Wales?

The Pylon King 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Wow! that is totally bonkers.
 SimonDKemp 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Out of climbing for 15 years now, but always loved the Lakes when I could get there and it wasn't raining - Pavey East Buttress, man! But I can't really grasp what James achieved yesterday.

Bloody amazing. Certainly historic.
 chris m fisher 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

A fine effort indeed!
 TobyA 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

This has got to be at least on a par with some of Honnold's big solo link up days in Yosemitee hasn't it? At least in terms of metres of technical rock climbed. My tummy feels a bit queasy think about it what those 5c moves must have been like in 70s and 80s! Very very impressive.
 nbonnett 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Good effort Caff
 Doghouse 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

WOW!! that really really is impressive. I'd be happy just to be able to run between the crags!
 marky 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome effort Caff would love to see the tick list.
 Blue Straggler 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Yeah but what's he done on grit ?

(have a smiley )
 shantaram 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Adam Hocking:

Seriously impressive achievement. I'm looking forward to seeing the list of routes, and your film of the day. Did Caff cover all the distance between the crags on foot, or was a vehicle used as well?
In reply to UKC News:

Truly remarkable - well done. On a weekend when a Joss Naylor record fell a new Lakes legend has been created. There is something about those Cumbrians!
 Route Adjuster 24 Jun 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I clearly remember Caff's dad soloing past me on several occasions at Shepherds crag many years ago, in a similar, very casual way. This is an extremely impressive feat of stamina, boldness and self confidence. As others have said a truly impressive achievement.
 JayPee630 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Just an incredible climbing feat. But more importantly really, it's been done by one of the nicest people about who is climbing at a high standard. Met him briefly once or twice and he's just a really great bloke.
 Mountain Lass 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Stunning, simply stunning.
 John Kelly 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

brilliant
 Andrew Wilson 24 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Almost incomprehensibly amazing. I am wiped out after 3 hard lakes leads in a day.
The man is a complete machine. Brilliant!
 simondgee 24 Jun 2014
In reply to shantaram:
He ran from Scafell to Langstrath (via bowfell and langdale crags including dropping down through Mickledon) and then 'carred' the other bits dwon the valley...if it was 'just' for 100 extremes in the lakes there are a lot easier itineraries. To start on Central Buttress given its 100 year anniversary and the place it holds in the lakes mountain heritage is such a significant statement. If there is anybody who can carry the title ambassador its Caff...soloing up Aaros (about route 67) he chatted away with the party on the 1st stance of Ardus genuinely interested and encouraging in their day out and what they had been doing...not the slightest element of self interest. Given all the factors including immaculate weather and getting to The Oddfellows before closing time...it was a privilege to share 'the perfect day'. Thanks Caff, Thanks Adam.
In reply to HeMa:

Well I suppose the connection with trad climbing is that it is trad climbing - but I think I get your point that the qualification is unnecessary. This is certainly an impressive day - can't have been less than 10,000 feet of rock climbing!
 Tom Valentine 25 Jun 2014
In reply to HeMa:

It's trad because (I assume) the routes were trad.
 Mark Kemball 25 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant, utterly brilliant!
In reply to UKC News:

In a way the most impressive thing about this is that I don't find myself surprised; if you'd asked me if JM could do this I'd have been pretty confident that he could and might well if he saw fit. In fact I half-thought he'd already done it; I wonder what feat I was recalling.

Anyway, 'no mean feat' is right!!!

jcm
 jamespilgrim 25 Jun 2014
In reply to simondgee:

Glad to hear he finished it! (I led the first pitch of Ardus and just finished belaying when Caff went past). He looked pretty chilled out on Aaros and didnt even seem to be too tired - staggering achievement. Well done to the rest of the team helping out with the logistics, must have required military precision!
 simondgee 25 Jun 2014
In reply to jamespilgrim:
Ah James you were the one on Ardus ...hope you enjoyed the rest of the route and thanks for accommodating. Not sure military precision ...more give enough monkeys cameras and ropes and something will probably work ...but twas Hock that pulled it together and bought the round!

Post edited at 08:16
 patrick_b 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:
> (In reply to UKC News) Mega-impressive; as well as the list it'd be interesting to know if any were on-sight.

A few routes he hadn't climbed before apparently: http://dmmclimbing.com/news/2014/06/mchaffie-solos-100-lakeland-extremes-da...

Seriously awe-inspiring!

JJL 25 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Caff. You have the makings of a competent climber.
pasbury 25 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing achievement and interesting to compare with Big Ron's achievement back in 1986. The mileage (and the total ascent probably is measured in miles) on rock is obviously far greater for Caffs round, I guess he was cruising most of it on 5b/5c ground with the odd 6a bit thrown in. I think Ron's round may have been technically a bit harder.

Where's the list of routes!!!
 downsouth 25 Jun 2014
In reply to simondgee:

Hi I was the lady with the two guys (James and Stu) on the first stance on Ardus. Wouldnt have missed it for the world although I would have been biting my nails had I had the nerve to take one of my hands off the rock. Glad the weather held so well. Corinne
 john yates 26 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Puts him up there with Honnold....brilliant achievement Caff.
 JDal 26 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

According to Adam Hocking on FB, this involved 2,976m climbed, not counting getting between crags, presumably guidebook route lengths added up. 160 E points. And #90 was an E4! The stuff of legends, one to go alongside his dads boxing gloves and rollerskate exploits.
 Crofty 26 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

What a fantastic effort,well done James.looking forward to seing the film.
 blackcat 26 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News: There realy are supermen amongst us out there

In reply to UKC News:

Amazing! Well done Caff. What an awesome day out.
Clauso 27 Jun 2014
 Wft 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Clauso:

really enjoyed that, well written, what a place to grow up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...