UKC

Road "Dressing"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkesley 24 Jun 2014
In an effort to "renovate" the country lanes around here the council has mounted a mass attack with the road dressing squad. For those unfamiliar with the process it involves spraying tar on the road and then covering it with chippings. At one time these were rolled, but now the council lets the traffic do this for them.

This has rendered several roads round here literally un-rideable. Tyres immediately get clogged with chippings. Any that don't stick to your tyres get flirted up to jam in various other bits of the bike. Even after a week or two of country traffic, riding along roads that have been "dressed" is distinctly unpleasant.
 The Potato 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

Agreed its crap to ride on but also to drive on its quite unpleasant as well as dangerous and always ends up spraying chippings everywhere damaging paintwork and windscreens.

Yet another cost cutting measure, usually the road surface is worse after these dressings due to the loose chippings and the ruts created by traffic on unrolled surfaces
 woolsack 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

Yes, useless isn't it?
Just about every time trial course has been ruined so the current floaty conditions don't count for zip and worst of all you can no longer see the pot holes which of course are simply covered over

Bob 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

What I don't like about it is that they don't fix the potholes before they apply the dressing so what once had well defined edges that was relatively easy to spot now just blends in to the general surface. Doesn't make them any easier to ride over/through.
 mbh 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

I've seen it in a few places in Cornwall too in the last month.
 RankAmateur 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

There's an easy fix. Vote in a government that will increase spending. Of course, they'll have to increase tax to pay for that.
 andy 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley: I had to walk about a mile and a half back down the Buckden road last summer as my tyres had so many chippings stuck to them they were getting jammed in the brakes. They also seem to leave 2" deep piles of chippings randomly scattered about for you to hit and scare yourself to death.
 mal_meech 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

Same trick in Aberdeenshire, but then we're tight...
 Tall Clare 24 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

The recent dressing in our village has left some slightly Mt Vesuvius-like volcano/crater formations, and a couple of particularly curious bulges in the dressing with bits of industrial rubber glove sticking out. I'm sure they used a steamroller on it but I think it must have been a very light steamroller.
 The Potato 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

it would save even more money just not to bother with the dressings and repair the potholes properly. Then save the money gradually as the road deteriorates and replace it properly.

But hey in this democracy my opinion counts as nothing
 Liam M 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob: one of the club juniors was hospitalised by the stuff at the weekend. They did a short section of the A65 by Gargrave that was recently redressed. It completely obscured a pot hole, not helped by having road markings painted over it.

He apparently hit it, got bounced out and into another rider who was cart wheeled across the road. One left in an ambulance and the other returned with severe road rash.

The stuff is lethal.
 lummox 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Liam M:

They'd just dressed the Chatsworth Rd up to Chesterfield on my ride on Sat. Can't say it added to the experience ; (
In reply to wilkesley:

In Canada during the summer months they go in for 'crack sealing' that involves filling any cracks that have appeared in ht eroad surface over the harsh winters with 'tar' then dusting them with grit. It stops water ingress and prevents cracks becoming potholes. A lot cheaper than having to deal with potholes. The rural roads round where my daughter lives get a right hammering with heavy logging trucks, yet they find no need for surface dressing. I can think of plenty places round here that could benefit from such treatment.
 tim000 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

i wish they would do my road . then i could brush them up during the night and spread them on my driveway . seriously though bloody nightmare to ride/drive on. could be the one thing to bring cyclists/driver together .
Removed User 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

There used to be lovely smooth roads leading to my mum's house in Surrey, which I always looked forward to at the end of a ride down. Then the County Council did just as described, for some reason, and they became horrible. A couple of years on and the loose grit's gone, at least, but they're still not great.
I wondered if it was some kind of passive scheme to discourage cyclists from swarming over routes that weren't 'approved' (ie Box Hill) - there seems to be a surprisingly strong local feeling against cyclists.
 MG 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

This is why they do it that way.

http://www.rsta-uk.org/surface-dressing.htm

No mention of potholes there though.
 gethin_allen 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> The recent dressing in our village has left some slightly Mt Vesuvius-like volcano/crater formations, and a couple of particularly curious bulges in the dressing with bits of industrial rubber glove sticking out. I'm sure they used a steamroller on it but I think it must have been a very light steamroller.

I thought the TdF was going through your village? surely this should mean you get the potholes sorted and the road resurfaced.
 gethin_allen 24 Jun 2014
In reply to MG:

I like the way that they only mention that it's a cheapo way of doing things as the 6th reason why they do it. It should read more like, a) because its cheap, b) because it's cheap, c) because it's cheap. and oh yes, did we mention it's cheap.
 Trevers 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Liam M:

> one of the club juniors was hospitalised by the stuff at the weekend. They did a short section of the A65 by Gargrave that was recently redressed. It completely obscured a pot hole, not helped by having road markings painted over it.

> He apparently hit it, got bounced out and into another rider who was cart wheeled across the road. One left in an ambulance and the other returned with severe road rash.

> The stuff is lethal.

I hope they are planning on suing the local council for a considerable sum of money?

http://road.cc/content/news/114595-pothole-crash-cyclist-wins-%C2%A370k-pay...
 Cheese Monkey 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

Having watched surface dressing taking place recently from start to finish I am not surprised it is cheap. It is really really fast. Tar, followed immediately by chippings follwed by a 10mins quick roll. Lines painted. Done. In and out of a half mile section I could see in 30min and on to next one
 Bob 24 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

It's going through Skipton but not Embsay, though one local councillor thought it did.

As for the actual route - let's just say the peloton will know about it.
 Tall Clare 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

There are some big potholes in the road going over from Addingham to Skipton - they've been helpfully marked in yellow paint but I'm hoping someone will fill them in before the 5th!
 tlm 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> The recent dressing in our village has left some slightly Mt Vesuvius-like volcano/crater formations, and a couple of particularly curious bulges in the dressing with bits of industrial rubber glove sticking out.

Are there hands in the gloves? And arms, and bodies attached to them, under the tar?
 ewar woowar 24 Jun 2014
In reply to RankAmateur:

> There's an easy fix. Vote in a government that will increase spending. Of course, they'll have to increase tax to pay for that.

Isn't that what I pay my Road Tax for?
 The Potato 24 Jun 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

road tax / road fund license / vehicle excise duty

which is it? nobody knows.

The official line I got from the government was that its VED and the tax doesnt go specifically to the maintainence of roads but to a general pot of moneys which is then divied up to local councils to play with as they see fit
andymac 24 Jun 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

> Isn't that what I pay my Road Tax for?

Pfffff! Ha ha.

I maintain there are better roads on the Moon .

In fact it is unlikely that NASA's Moon Buggy would have been able to handle traversing the A82

Although its back roads I use ,I could only cycle a few miles tonight as my arms ,and hands still feel like I have gone 12 hours with a 1950's Jack hammer.last night was sore.
 Bob 25 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Very roughly VED brings the exchequer the equivalent of £5Bn a year, fuel duty raises around £27Bn (2010 figures). As a comparison 1p of income tax raises around £2.5Bn P.A.
 Trevers 25 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> The official line I got from the government was that its VED and the tax doesnt go specifically to the maintainence of roads but to a general pot of moneys which is then divied up to local councils to play with as they see fit

It's a tax on emissions, hence why that new Porsche hybrid supercar which does 94mpg falls into the same band as bicycles.
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to wilkesley)
>
> This is why they do it that way.
>
> http://www.rsta-uk.org/surface-dressing.htm
>
> No mention of potholes there though.

Actually it specifically states that it must be done before the road deteriorates too badly.
 woolsack 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Trevers:

> It's NOW a tax on emissions, hence why that new Porsche hybrid supercar which does 94mpg falls into the same band as bicycles.

There, I fixed that for you
M0nkey 25 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

If you think this stuff is lethal on a bicycle try it on a motorbike. A popular section of road near me was dressed last year with the dressed section starting just before a sweeping bend in a 60mph zone. As soon as I hit it I was desperately trying to bleed off speed without locking the front wheel on the loose stuff. This wasn't too effective which meant by the time I reached the corner I still had to lean the bike over a fair bit to get round. Predictably the front started to fold. I ended up sticking a foot down like a speedway rider and just, only just managed to get round the corner alive.
 DancingOnRock 25 Jun 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

That sounds horrendous.

Luckily around here there are loads of warning signs. They start around 200m from the section of road and have big 20mph warnings and loose choppings, skid risk warning.

I would write to the council and tell them their contractors are failing their health and safety responsibilities and someone is going to get killed.
 tim000 25 Jun 2014
In reply to DancingOnRock:

yep , every section i`ve seen has 20 mph signs out
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> In Canada during the summer months they go in for 'crack sealing' that involves filling any cracks that have appeared in ht eroad surface over the harsh winters with 'tar' then dusting them with grit.

That used to be done in the UK, and I'd correlated the decline of the practice with the more rapid deterioration of road surfaces and repairs.

I pointed out this observation on UKC a while back, and someone suggested that they're no longer allowed to do this because of H&S risk of having a big pot of hot tar*. Not sure whether it's really an H&S risk, or merely a cost-cutting exercise, but to me, preventive maintenance is probably cheaper that having to repair the entire road surface every few years.

* I'm sure there's a design opportunity here...
 Monk 25 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

A long time ago they did this on the county roads where I grew up. I was out riding, came round a corner fairly fast onto a"dressed" section. Grit jammed between by brakes and the rim and I went cartwheeling down the road. Quite painful!
 Liam M 25 Jun 2014
In reply to captain paranoia: There was an interesting paragraph in one of the cycling magazines a few weeks ago about the Spanish approach to road maintenance, which leads to less potholes developing.

The main point was that once a section of road was laid they did everything possible to avoid introducing cracks to it, which could collect water and via freeze thaw or other mechanisms grow. A major aspect of this was not allowing utility companies to dig up and repatch the road on a whim, but rather a time would be announced when the road was to be completely resurfaced and they would be required to perform all preventative maintenance in a window shortly before this.

It explains why my experience of Spanish roads, even in wet areas is of them being much less broken up.
 Timmd 26 Jun 2014
In reply to RankAmateur:
> There's an easy fix. Vote in a government that will increase spending. Of course, they'll have to increase tax to pay for that.

It's way off topic, but we do want things both ways in this country it sometimes seems.
Post edited at 22:49
 Timmd 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> There are some big potholes in the road going over from Addingham to Skipton - they've been helpfully marked in yellow paint but I'm hoping someone will fill them in before the 5th!

When I visited friends near Skipton they seemed to think the Tour roads had all been smoothed?

They're not based 'in' Skipton though so they could be wrong.
 Bob 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> When I visited friends near Skipton they seemed to think the Tour roads had all been smoothed?

Well let's just say that you no longer need something along the lines of a Humvee to guarantee your progress.
 cousin nick 27 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

Cornwall council contractors have just finished surface dressing near me. Loads of excess gravel left on the road, which is now washing into the gullies after heavy rain. Prior to that, the hot weather last week means that the tar became soft and several corners are now bare tar where the new gravel was worn off by cars and trucks. Nett result is that the surface in these areas is worse than before.

N
 Chris Harris 27 Jun 2014
In reply to cousin nick:

> the hot weather last week means that the tar became soft and several corners are now bare tar where the new gravel was worn off by cars and trucks.

Something similar happened on Lenton Lane in Nottingham. For some reason the tar never really set properly (cut with diesel by unscrupulous cheapo contractors was one suggestion), so over time, ALL of the chippings were swept away by traffic & weather.

The result was a surface so smooth it was beyond belief. I never tested its frictional capabilities, but I can say that it had the reflective properties of the finest mirror known to man. Wet + headlights/low sun made seeing anything utterly impossible.

In reply to Liam M:

> A major aspect of this was not allowing utility companies to dig up and repatch the road on a whim, but rather a time would be announced when the road was to be completely resurfaced and they would be required to perform all preventative maintenance in a window shortly before this.

A good policy, and one which I've suggested for many years. In the first wave of cable cowboys, a set of four different trenches were dug in all the roads and pavements near me, just to put in cable trunking. Generally, the standard of repair was appalling, and we're still suffering the consequences.
Rigid Raider 27 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

Spanish roads are better than ours for the simple reason that Spain doesn't get sub-zero weather, which freezes the water that has soaked into the surface.

Top-dressing is done in the UK in order to maintain the braking friction of the road surface. Friction is quite an obsession for highways engineers. It's not tar, it's a tar emulsion and getting the right mix is quite difficult. It takes several days to go off properly.
OP wilkesley 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I agree with the principle of road dressing, but the implementation needs much more work. Being unable to ride along a section of dressed road for several days because so many chippings get picked up by your tyres and jammed between brake blocks and rims is totally unacceptable.

Also treating roads that also have a big potholes actually makes it more dangerous because it's much harder to see them.
adam11 28 Jun 2014
In reply to M0nkey: I've had exactly the same experience, except the dressing started half way around the bend so no time to loose any speed. Completely lost the front end and only luck saved me. Fortunately nothing was coming the other way. A real botty twitcher

DancingOnRock 28 Jun 2014
In reply to adam11:

I checked this and they have a legal obligation to limit speeds on newly dressed roads to 20mph until the road has been properly swept.
 The Potato 28 Jun 2014
In reply to DancingOnRock:

what about a legal obligation to paying for chipped paint and windscreens from oncomming vehicles?
I doubt it.
Rigid Raider 28 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

You shouldn't have been taken by surprise and the council wouldn't pay compensation because they will have put up warning signs and a speed recommendation.
 balmybaldwin 28 Jun 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

The speed recommendation might be suitable for cars, but 20mph on a road bike on gravel isnt going to work. The signs the put ou are invariably missing after a few days.

Its also of no use against stones being flicked up if it isnt strictly enforced.
 popebenedictus 29 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

#Warning - pet subject alert

As a professional highway engineer I'd just like to point out that surface dressing is a good way to treat some roads. It renews the skid resistance of the road as well as sealing the pavement from water ingress (which s ultimately what causes potholes to form). Ultimately all road treatments have a finite life , so surface dressing may extend a pavement life by 5-8 years whereas resurfacing may last 10-12 years before it needs surface dressing to renew the skid resistance. Ensuring the roads have adequate skid resistance and are free from dangers to road users (like deep potholes) are legal obligations under the highways act, so councils focus on these issues.

In my experience I find that people complain whatever you do to their roads. If you make them super smooth they complain about creating a race track and people driving too fast, if they have a few patches then they complain about a patchwork quilt, if you have a few bumps then they say there cars a being damaged etc etc. Also they complain if you work in the day, but complain if you work at night, they complain if you shut their road to resurface it and they complain if you don't. It's probably the most thankless job I've ever done

#Rant over

The Potato 29 Jun 2014
In reply to popebenedictus:

> #Warning - pet subject alert
It's probably the most thankless job I've ever done

Try being a dentist....

popebenedictus 29 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

you'd be a lot better paid being a dentist
 Timmd 29 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:
> It's probably the most thankless job I've ever done

> Try being a dentist....

I like dentists, I'm well aware my teeth would be in a shocking state without modern dentistry.
Post edited at 00:59
 Timmd 29 Jun 2014

I think it's possibly the way rollers are used less than they could be, or the perception that they are, with traffic being left to finish off compressing the surface.

How accurate this is I dunno, but that's the perception.
 gethin_allen 29 Jun 2014

It's probably not road dressing per-se but poor application of the method. I've seen roads with piles of gravel at the corners for months after road dressing when the loose chippings should have been swept up and I've also seen potholes full to the brim with chippings after road dressing where they've failed to fill the holes before starting the work.

Like most jobs, if it's done poorly it's not worth doing.

The worst road fixing I've seen recently is on my road where they decided there were too many patches of one area so dug it out and replaced it with one continuous patch. excellent I thought, until the bloke with the roller overlapped his roller over the edge of the old brittle tarmac next to the patch and created a ~1 cm wide crack along the whole length of the new patch. Just waiting for that to fill with water and fall to bits this winter coming.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...