UKC

What's Your Oldest Bit Of Kit Still In Use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pyreneenemec 24 Jun 2014
Out the other day, I realised just how long I'd been using my Camp technical ice-axe. I bought it in 1979 at the 'Barn Door' ( if that's the correct name) at Wasdale Head. It's got a fibre-glass shaft, so I'm just waiting for someone to tell me that I've been risking death for the past 25 years.

My Ultimate Tramp 1 tent still sees an occasional outing. It's great for a lightweight bivvy ( just the fly). I bought it in the Spring of 1980 for a few months of cycle-touring around Europe.
 top cat 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

FiFi hook, 1979? New tape on it though.
small tube for liquid soap, 1975ish

Still got off cuts from a 1976 Karrimat, but too small to use camping now.
1971 tent that I still use as a tarp [so not really a tent anymore]

maybe others, I'll have a think!
 gd303uk 24 Jun 2014
I still use now and again my old Trango I extreme, ( made in Britain ),
scarpa manta hs12 boots, And some very old RP brass nuts .All roughly over 25 years old and in good condition. The RP s are out with me every time I climb.,
My stuff is juvenile compared to the op and above posts kit though
Post edited at 16:12
Lusk 24 Jun 2014

I think I've got one those, green shaft?
Got it July '78.
OP Pyreneenemec 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Lusk:

> I think I've got one those, green shaft?

> Got it July '78.

No, it's blue(-ish).

Faded, like it's owner !
Lusk 24 Jun 2014

Just had a look, mine's a Stubai Manaslu, lime green!

Adrian Daniels 24 Jun 2014

I still take my 'lucky' MOAC out every time. Its been re-threaded a few times but I think I bought it in about 1973.
 Denzil 24 Jun 2014
In reply to top cat:
> Still got off cuts from a 1976 Karrimat, but too small to use camping now.

Still use a Karrimat from ~1972 when I go out as a body for SARDA training. No chance of an incoming dog damaging it. Have some sections of 2mm Karrimat which I bought to make a footprint under my tent from a similar time - the tent is long gone, but a 500mm square piece goes under my feet when on a 3/4 length thermarest, and is folded and goes in the small of my back when kayaking.

top cat 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Denzil:

Aye, I've got some of that green 2mm Karrimat somewhere.........
In reply to Adrian Daniels:

> I still take my 'lucky' MOAC out every time. Its been re-threaded a few times but I think I bought it in about 1973.

I've also still got my original MOAC, rethreaded a couple of times, from 1967. Still 100 per cent usable. Note: it's the original type with very rounded edges and quite a rough surface. Mine was also 'lucky' - I got quite superstitious about it.
 mypyrex 24 Jun 2014

Vango Zephyr one man tent - 1983/4 still in use. I've looked at modern lightweights but have never seen one that can substantially better it in terms of weight and compactness.

I was given a bits of gear by my mate's dad. Some old clog nuts, some actual engineering nuts with the threads filed out, and some chocks he made himself! I try to use them every now and then. I put them on new cord though. Apparently made in the 70's sometime.
llechwedd 24 Jun 2014

1980's Suunto MC1 compass. Does the job.

I wonder if anyone'll have their 'Garmin' or whatever GPS still going in 30 years time?
 sheeny 24 Jun 2014

VANGO FORCE 10 bought in 1979 with the proceeds of my dole money
replaced the rubber guys otherwise,still going strong much to the amusement of my climbing mates!
Lusk 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I've still got my MOAC Original from '77, but you've got me thinking is it a 'True' original?
Tim Chappell 24 Jun 2014

My body.
In reply to Lusk:

The later ones (I think c. 1971 onwards) had much sharper edges and were more smoothly finished ... and didn't go quite so well into cracks I don't think the design ever changed after that, though.
 fmck 24 Jun 2014

I placed a tied off angle peg while abbing on a crag on Achir, isle of Arran during the 80s. I returned and found it still with tat attached in 2003 gave it one tap and it snapped in half! I still keep it (with tat attached) was quite shocked how little strength it had yet still looked ok.
Bernard Shakey 24 Jun 2014

I still use a snap gate from around 83 /84, its gate is offset making it stay open until you physically close it, being vertically challenged I use it in conjunction with a stiff quickdraw to clip out of reach bolts, very useful bit of kit,
 Arcturus 24 Jun 2014

My Grivel ice axe 1966. One or two karabiners similar vintage, they are so heavy they are probably made from depleted uranium.
 johncook 24 Jun 2014

Bought two MOACs and a CLOG Hex from Tanky at the end of 67. All three have had many rethreads but are still getting used. (Even more than ever because people like the way the fit snugly in hand cracks where other shapes tend to rock and roll!) The originals had rounded corners and slightly curved faces with a ground rough finish. After about 1972 the second lot came out which had very sharp corners, very flat smooth sides and were rubbish!
I also still use my original Snowden Mouldings orange handled curver axe from who knows when (Tanky could sell me anything, and when he did it seemed to be good and last!)Also have a pair of cloggers that see occasional use, as they allow my big hands to use them with big old gloves on.
Maybe I still use the old stuff because I am a typical tight Yorkshireman who works on the value for money principle, i.e. if I paid for it, it must last me until the end of my days!
 johncook 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Arcturus:

I swapped my battered grivel for a McInnes curver (probably because the other guy was too small to lift the McInnes. They were so heavy you could dig roads with them. Thin ice, no prob the heavy axe would sink into the rock!)) Then I sold that for a Snowdon Mouldings Curver which I still use.
 barbeg 24 Jun 2014

Hi All,

My primus, half pint No. 96...given to me by my dad in 1968.... he'd used it since his national service days in the 1950's...
ANdy
Pennine 24 Jun 2014
In reply to johncook: Another impecunious Yorkshireman here who also uses a Snowdon Mouldings curver axe. My old 'Terror' sometimes gets an outing too.

robapplegate 24 Jun 2014

My Knees
 Rob Naylor 24 Jun 2014

Got a Camping Gaz stove that my uncle gave me. I think he got it in 1967.

My "Daimor" down sleeping bag, that I got in 1979, is still going strong, although it's only really 2 season now, rather than the 4 that it was rated for new.
Lusk 24 Jun 2014
In reply to robapplegate and Tim:

Haha...I'm working on rejuvenating those! Hard work.
 Root1 25 Jun 2014

My old Joe Brown extendable Karrimor rucksac.
Bought in 1971. I still use it for cragging.
 a158863 25 Jun 2014

Blacks 'New Summit' sleeping bag. Got it as an 18th birthday present in 1966.
Rigid Raider 25 Jun 2014

I've got some red and black PA climbing shoes that must date from the 70s. At that time PAs became briefly the generic name for climbing shoes.

In 1977 I bought 2 pairs of EB Gratton Rock boots - the classic grey & dark blue ones - from Pindisports in London at a sale price of £11 each. I still had a pair of usable ones so wore those for a long while as I ended up doing less climbing than I had expected. They eventually wore out so when I got back into climbing indoors in the 90s I dug out one pair of the brand new ones and they have lasted me really well until 3 years ago when I bought a pair of Red Chillies and after 2 resoles I am still using them. So I now still have a brand new pair of EBs in their original carrier bag in the loft! Was it a waste of £11?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...