UKC

mountain top biving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 24 Jun 2014
did a couple of nights biving on mountain tops last summer and really liked it but I couldn't get over the claustrophobic feeling around my head when it was closed over.
to be fair it was a bit neat and im a pretty big guy so I was wondering if there is anything on the market that's kind of smaller than a tent but bigger than a bivi bag especially around the head area when sleeping.
I guess what im looking for is something that's small and light enough to carry and camp on summits but big enough to give a bit more room than a standard bivvy bag set up.
going to do some searching on the web but thought id ask here first to see if anyone's using something similar.
 KevinJ 24 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:
You could always try a hooped bivvy bag. I use a Terra Nova single hooped one. Being on the larger side myself, I find the hoop just gives a sense of space around the head and reduces that feeling of 'confinement'.
My mate uses the Rab one. A bit heavier, but seems more robust.
neither is a cheap option tough.
The Alpkit Hunka XL offers a larger sized standard bivvi bag/sleeping bag cover, and is a cracking price. I use one of these when snow holing and find the space around the shoulders ideal for me.

Mark Sheridan 25 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:

Have a look at the Jack Wolfskin Gossamer. I'm really happy with it. A bit heavier than a bivvy, but much more roomy.
 Mountain Llama 25 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby: why not try a tarp?

sarahjk 25 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:
I have a large roomy hooped n netted goretex bag, only used it a couple of times as too big for a small woman ! Looking to sell it, will find brand etc if you are interested.

Drop me a line.

Sarah
Post edited at 08:02
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Tarps are fine until it's rainy/windy at the same time. Or when it's midgey. So in the UK, more often than not, tarps are a pain.
 The Potato 25 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:

Which one did you use previously?

What about a Highlander falcon bivy?
 tizer 25 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:

I very rarely zip myself fully into my bag. Even though mine is a full Goretex model, I still find that breathing into it without a gap causes condensation.

Have you tried sleeping with your face poking out of the zip? Much less claustrophobic and better for your sleeping bag (especially if down).

Of course, if it rains, then you'll just have to suck it up and zip in!
 nathan79 25 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> Which one did you use previously?

> What about a Highlander falcon bivy?

I've got two of the Highlander bivis, one of which has the option of a closed face our mesh face via zip-in inserts. Don't cost the earth, maybe worth a look
 Simon Caldwell 25 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:

How about a super-lightweight tent? This one is only 770g

http://www.nordisk.eu/fgreen/products/tents/tents-detail/type/tents/categor...

We camped near the summit of Beinn a' Bhuird in the 2-man version (880g) last month.
 Lankyman 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> How about a super-lightweight tent?
> We camped near the summit of Beinn a' Bhuird in the 2-man version (880g) last month.

One August we camped at the nearby Dubh Lochan (about 940m) in a Wild Country Trisar (not, admittedly, the sturdiest tent but definitely not light weight) and it got blown flat to the ground. It made us go and buy a Macpac Olympus. Personally, I would not take super-lightweight tents to high and remote locations where if they fail you are in a big predicament. Even if the forecast was good.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Lankyman:

It was in the middle of the recent settled spell when winds were permanently light. If things had gone horribly wrong it was only half an hour to get to the nearest valley.

If the weather was bad, or forecast to become so, then we wouldn't have done it. But nor would we have considered a planned bivi up there!
 victorclimber 25 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:

Just as a matter of interest Showell Styles spent a night on top of all the Welsh High Peaks I seem to remember back in the late 50,s early 60,s
 pass and peak 25 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:

Did a gear test right up of my hooped bivi on my blog back in November http://markswalks.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/gear-test-integral-designs-cocoo... and a bit more in february http://markswalks.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/wet-and-windy-cairngorms/ one good thing about a bivi is you can errect almost anywhere in any conditions. though I do miss the space to turn around!
OP buzby 26 Jun 2014
In reply to pass and peak:

thanks for the ideas folks, mostly for use in Scotland so think the tarp idea would be out.
In reply to buzby:

If you've not seen it, this recent skills article might be of interest, Ten Top Tips for a Better Bivvy: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=6388
 flyboy86 26 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:

A hooped bivvi is def the way forward. Personally I use the Snugpak Stratosphere, you can get them pretty cheap too at about £100.
Its hooped and long enough that I can chuck my bergan in the bottom and still have room. Also this raises the fly off to make a tiny tent feeling.
Rigid Raider 26 Jun 2014
In reply to buzby:

Don't forget a midge net.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...