UKC

Medium spec smart phone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 25 Jun 2014
Looking to get one for my wife. Latest Samsung / iPhone etc too expensive

Was thinking about the Nokia Lumia 925.

Anyone got experience of this phone?

How does it compare to the Galaxy S3 (my phone: which I would have got for her too if they were still available: the S3 mini has too small a screen as she will use phone to view youtube a fair bit)
 Oujmik 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
It depend if you think she'd like Windows.

My pick for a mid-range smart phone right now would be either a Google Nexus 5 if you want top-end specs or a Motorola Moto G if you want very good specs at a very good price(new Moto G 4G version launches in 5 days, but only worth waiting if you'll use 4G).

They are both 'vanilla' android so shoudl be easy to use and are likely to receive upgrades for a good few years.

Or I expect you could still pick up a refurbed S3.
Post edited at 09:38
 FrankBooth 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

+1 for the Google Nexus 5. If you buy it outright (about £200 I think), there are some very good SIM only deals around from the likes of GiffGaff (I think my wife pays around £10/month for 500 mins, unlimited texts & 1 GB data)
 Neil Williams 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm getting quite tempted by the HTC One Mini 2 to replace my HTC One S, which is probably classed as a midrange phone. I've had HTCs for a while, they tend to be quite well built and don't have too much vendor crap on top of Android, while they still make good small-form-factor phones that don't have a terrible spec, for those of us who have small hands and like to be able to use one handed.

Neil
OP Flinticus 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

4G probably not as big a factor as I myself first thought: its available in Glasgow but not really anywhere else she would be using it.

She's currently with O2.

Are Virgin Mobile any good?
 Mad Tommy 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I'm looking at the Moto G 4G as well: not because of the 4G (although this might be useful in the future), but because it also has a microSD card slot. Whether this is worth the extra ~£40 depends on what you want to use the phone for.

Geoff
 stella1 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I'd look at an iPhone. I have a iPhone 4s and although it's not the latest model it is great. I'm not a massive apple fan but can't deny how well their phones work. I pay £15 a month on ee, think I have 400 mins, unlimited texts and 100mb data.
OP Flinticus 25 Jun 2014
In reply to stella1:

No iPhone! I'm not at all familar with iphone stuff but am with android & windows. No way am I going to be dealing with iphone issues as well!
chalky.hands 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

My suggestion would be to go with the lumia, but that's because I've really enjoyed Windows' mobile platform since getting a HTC 8X, although having said that, it's not the best OS for youtube...
 whenry 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus: I've got a Nokia Lumia 920 - slightly older and chunkier - and I'm super happy with it. Friends on Windows Phones are also very happy with theirs - the build quality of the Nokias is brilliant.
needvert 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Nexus 4 or 5. I've owned both, and they've been the cheapest and best smart phones I've ever had. (Sure, you can go cheaper, but they really excel in what you get per dollar).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...