UKC

Non-UKC cookies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 25 Jun 2014
While I know and appreciate most sites use cookies these days I notice that UKC requires the use of 'third party' cookies to enable one to login. I'm interested to know where these third party cookies are from and why they're needed to login?

My default browsing on Android is to disallow all third party cookies but if I want to login to UKC I have to then allow all cookies which is a bit of pain going into settings and changing them each time.
 yorkshireman 25 Jun 2014
In reply to stp:

I would presume they're to allow tracking across sites for use in advertising. It's why you see adverts for stuff you've been looking for on Amazon for instance.

It pays for the service.
In reply to stp:

You don't need to allow third party cookies to be able to login.
Removed User 25 Jun 2014
In reply to stp:

Ghostery says that at least one of them is Google adworks.
In reply to Removed User:

We use Google Analytics for stats (like most of the internet but the cookies associated with that aren't required for the login.

When you login you will have cookies set for ukclimbing.com and ukhillwalking.com but the UKH one is set by pinging the browser to ukhillwalking.com and back again so it's not a 3rd party cookie.
OP stp 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Well maybe its UK hillwalking then. I can't login unless I choose the allow all cookies rather than the preferred option of 'exclude third party cookies'. If I login first then change the option back it logs me out straight away. (I'm using FF mobile by the way.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...