UKC

Recommend me some summer softshell trooosers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aldo56 25 Jun 2014
Looking for some new summer weight softshell troosers to replace my tattered ME Ibex. Must be lightweight, roll-up-able, suitable for "summer" climbing/walking in Scotland, summer in the Alps.

Any recommendations? They all look much of a muchness from what I see.
OP aldo56 25 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Current contenders are the Montane Terra and Rab Sawtooth. Anyone got something similar? Cool enough for summer?
 JayPee630 25 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Mountain Equipment Combin, best I've had.
 PPP 25 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Montane Terras are quite robust, lightweight, windproof and tough wearing. I use them for a little bit of cragging, indoors climbing (I've got all grey version cheap enough so I don't look like a scumbag), trekking and I also used them while ice climbing indoors (so you don't feel warm as well). You can pull them up and using one of the buttons at the bottom, make them 3/4 length trousers so they are perfect for climbing too. If you prefer full length trousers instead, another pair of buttons make them very tight at the bottom so you can see your feet. If buttons are undone, trousers fit over Scarpa SL Activ boots and there's still space. So pretty much versatile pants, too.

One pair of Terras gave up yesterday after I fell of my bike. It is the second bike I managed to break with one pair of Montane Terra pants apart from using them elsewhere. They didn't rip apart, there are just some scuffs while my calf, knee, elbow and palm are seriously damaged. I have torn skin (about 2 pound coin size) off my hand completely. Surprisingly, Terra pants were damaged less than myself.
 mrgleb 25 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

I have been wearing the Blur Dialed pants for climbing and walking the last few months and I can't recommend them enough. The are very comfortable and airy, they have a toggle at the foot to draw them in. Great bit of kit.

http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/blurr-dialed-pant-p-2335.html
 TobyA 25 Jun 2014
In reply to PPP:

I rather like my Terras, although every time I use them I still wish they had a thigh pocket (my original review here http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1970 ), but I don't think they are really "softshell" - they don't have the multi directional stretch that softshell material generally does.

I've had the cheapest and lightest pair of softshells troos from Decathlon for years and think they are great. Always worth checking out.
 PPP 25 Jun 2014
In reply to TobyA:

They now do Terra Stretch version, though they are no longer using Cordura reinforcements (something else that is tough).

I totally agree with thigh pockets, though I have little difficulties accessing the usual pockets under a harness. I also can't figure out why don't they provide thigh vents for convertible pants. I've got old convertibles (non-stretchy) and I don't always have enough patience/time/possibilities to turn trousers to shorts if it's very hot.
OP aldo56 25 Jun 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Decathalon website being what it is, i most likely can't find the ones your talking about!

I did spot these though, anyone got any experience?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-light-trousers-id_8157644.html

(The now accepted worldwide winter versions are certainly good but i'm quite shocked these are £10 more)
 AlanLittle 25 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

I have Prana Stretch Zions as my summer alpine trousers, am happy with them.
OP aldo56 25 Jun 2014
In reply to PPP:
Thanks PPP, that's pretty much exactly what i'll use them for.

(Minus crashing a bike in them, I've got shorts for that!)
Post edited at 22:58
In reply to aldo56:

Second the Terra love. Used for trekking, cragging and indoor walling and no problems. By all rights they should be trashed by now having seen more gritstone and bog than it is healthy to but still going strong.
 TobyA 26 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

> (The now accepted worldwide winter versions are certainly good but i'm quite shocked these are £10 more)

I guess those are the current version - best to go and pick up a pair though and feel their weight. I have the 'winter' ones too http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/03/simond-alpinism-pants-review.h... excellent value for money, but quite hefty. The lighter ones I have from years back are a much lighter material but still have the four way stretch that I occasionally miss with the Terras.

50 quid isn't peanuts but considering how much the big brand versions cost, it's not bad - particularly if they last you a decade of regular use as mine have.
 simonzxr 26 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

These are the ones I have-

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html

Bit more mountain orientated than the ones in your link. They have a removable gaiter and zip vents so are pretty good all rounders. Have used for walking, mountaineering and ice climbing. Great value and hard wearing.
OP aldo56 26 Jun 2014
In reply to simonzxr:

I've already got them for winter. They're very good for that but would be waaaay to warm for me in the summer!
 CurlyStevo 26 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

These are pretty good for the price. They are not water resistent (ie water does not beed up on them but some of my expensive scholler trousers faired no better) however they are pretty wind resistent dry quicker than most other soft shells I own and are very durable and cheap.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-900-mens-hiking-trousers-light-grey-id_8...
 goatee 26 Jun 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I like the Terras as well but I agree about the thigh pocket. Another bugbear is that the pocket zips will not stay closed. Very easy to lose stuff, ie phone etc
 alexm198 26 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Get a pair of those jazzy Rab Torque pants. You'll look like a total geezer.
 TobyA 26 Jun 2014
In reply to goatee:

Funny, never had problem with the pocket zips on my ones. Plus mine have that inner security pocket which is great.

Curlystevo-o-o, are those ones stretchy? And is the thigh pocket usable when you have a harness on? They look excellent if the answers are yes to those.
 CurlyStevo 26 Jun 2014
In reply to TobyA:
They are quite stretchy vertically but not much horizontally.

The thigh pocket is usable with a harness on but it's pretty small.

They feel slightly budget (no preshaped knees etc) but they fit me well and I've worn mine loads climbing / walking in the last year and they haven't needed patching at all and look like I'll get another year or twos hard use out of them.
Post edited at 13:00
OP aldo56 26 Jun 2014
In reply to alexm198:

Haha cheers mate, not sure I could pull off the red whilst puntering my way up a VS.
neilus 27 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Another Decathlon light alpine soft shell, dont think its been linked here yet:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-light-trousers-2014-id_8304123.html#ava...
Looks like it might be worth a punt? I have the Forclaz 100 and its a good pant at an insane price - if they could sort out the waterproofing they would sell millions of them!
 jockster 27 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Keela Scruffers are really good, light, tough and strechy
http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/597/s/scuffer-trousers/categ...
OP aldo56 27 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Following a visit to Decathalon and Tiso (who were both extremely well stocked), I tried on pretty much every possibility discussed above. Continuing my goal to look like a Rab sponsored athlete, I’ve ended up with a pair of black Torques.

The Decathalon efforts were a close second but were quite warm and a good bit heavier.

I wasn't keen on the Terra lower leg buttons, seemed like a faff.

The Sawtooth comes with belt loops but is not supplied with a low profile belt, presumably so you can wear your own leather one and make them look a bit more casual. I wasn't keen on wearing a belt under my harness plus the hidden lower leg adjuster was a faff.
 Siward 27 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Can anybody suggest a pair which has a thigh pocket capable of taking an OS map, but still made of a hard wearing synthetic fabric a la Terra trousers?
 BnB 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Siward:

My Marmot Scree pants fit your bill, but they are the previous model. Not sure how the update affects the cut or pockets.
In reply to aldo56:

After your email, I cycled home and tried on the Alpinism Light trousers. And, even though it was a hot night, and I'd just cycled home, they didn't seem hot. They're very stretchy, and quite lightweight, but less wind resistant than a pair of lightweight nylon trousers (e.g. LA Houdini or something in Supplex). Much slimmer fit than the £40 mountaineering trousers. The higher price is odd, considering you get more trousers for your money with the mountaineering troos...

I think the lack of wind resistance is odd for something with crampon patches.

I think the softshells that Toby is talking might be the plain Forclaz 900, which have some stretch.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-900-mens-hiking-trousers-black-id_812787...

Hmmm... reduced to £30. I might have to go and have a look....
In reply to neilus:

Ah, a new, cheaper version... Looks nice... I have the earlier version linked above

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-light-trousers-id_8157644.html
 TobyA 27 Jun 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Mine must be 10 years old now, but are quite techy - removable gaiters etc. They are noticeable lighter material than my 15 year old Patagonia softshells (which at the time were pretty much THE softshell trousers!) which are themselves lighter than the Simond winter softshell pants I bought two winters back. All black though - so look similar, just feel different.
In reply to aldo56:

It sounds miserly, but I used Lidl's hiking trousers washed in DWR treatment for years, both summer and Scottish winter. Thermals under and waterproofs in the bag in winter. They are actually really good and hard wearing. But to go to the Alps I bought a pair of ME Ibex's. I use them for summer alpinism in the California High Sierra (35C walk ins!) and manage to keep relatively cool with the vents open.
 TeeBee 28 Jun 2014
In reply to aldo56:

The Arcteryx Gamma LT pants are good. And I'm not just saying that because I have a post in the For Sale forum for a pair...
neilus 01 Jul 2014
In reply to aldo56:

How is the Rab Torque? How d'ya reckon they would cope with warm (30+)temperatures? Would you agree with the reviews ive read that it's quite a slim fit? Cheers!
Dorq 01 Jul 2014
In reply to aldo56:
Anyone mentioned the thin Trangoworld ones yet? Needlesports had them. I think they tick all the aforementioned boxes. I haven't found a thin and stretchy softshell that resists pilling, though, so I prefer some old fashioned baggy hill trousers for the long term.
Post edited at 09:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...