UKC

Forearm pump and white, bloodless hands.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KTC 25 Jun 2014
During an indoor session tonight I managed to get quite seriously pumped in my right arm. When back on the ground I noticed that my right hand was white, almost blue in comparison to my left. Ten minutes later colour returned and I had mild pins and needles in my hand.

This is the first time I've noticed this, after a few years of indoor climbing.

So, a few questions:

1. Is this normal, or indicative of a problem (apart from my shit technique, I mean)
2. Is my arm about to drop off?
3. Is there anything I can do to improve blood flow to my forearms, apart from just go climbing more?

Many thanks

Kafoozalem 25 Jun 2014
In reply to KTC:

Perhaps you have Raynaud's Phenomenom - google it.
 balmybaldwin 25 Jun 2014
In reply to KTC:

Were you pushing yourself unusually hard? Were you wearing a top with tight cuffs (or had bunched up and was restricting blood flow?

Have a look at carpel tunnel and compartment syndrome see if either of these have symptoms that fit your case, and book a gp apointment to get a check up and be sure.

In years of climbing, whilst ive felt like my hand is going to fall off due to pump, and completely unable to move it ive never had the pins and needles as you describe except in very cold conditions.
OP KTC 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Thanks for that, it's interesting, but I don't think it's me. This was one hand, when pumped. I've never seen it when cold or as other symptoms of raynaud's would suggest.
OP KTC 26 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I was pushing quite hard, after a couple of weeks off. No tight clothing though.

I'm just remembering now, I think I did hook my whole arm over the top of the wall earlier in the session while facing with the top screwgate.. I wonder if I've damaged something near my elbow doing that.. Time to get out of that habit I think.
OP KTC 26 Jun 2014
In reply to KTC:

Faffing, not facing. Stupid phone.
 Neil Williams 26 Jun 2014
In reply to KTC:
Probably not great to do that anyway (a number of walls who have modified signup sheets ban it) - the main issue being all the crap up there and the likelihood of splinters. And isn't it cheating?

If I do feel the need to "cheat" in those circumstances a hold on another route on the same panel usually suits

Neil
Post edited at 09:25
OP KTC 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Cheating is defined as what I define in my head as cheating, so no

But I do get your point. I'll resist the urge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...