UKC

Dunira Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 m dunn 25 Jun 2014
Followed directions in Sport climbing guidebook to recommended parking spot. Told on way out by estate chap that parking not allowed there. Just a heads up; he wasn't helpful in indicating an alternative.
aultguish 26 Jun 2014
In reply to m dunn:

Glen Lednock or Dunira side? I'll have a chat with the estate concerned.
Any details on what the guy looked like?
 AG 26 Jun 2014
In reply to m dunn:

Not sure if the original directions for parking are different?
https://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Durina
OP m dunn 26 Jun 2014
In reply to aultguish:

Dunira. Chap took the trouble to leave his house and drove after us in an estate Land Rover. He was perfectly civil. We parked exactly where suggested in Scottishclimbs link (thanks AG). However the new guide isn't new enough to ask that climbers park at the crossroads mentioned. He said we should have parked on the main road but we couldn't see anywhere suitable. I can't see what the problem is with parking in the the big clearing myself...
aultguish 26 Jun 2014
In reply to m dunn:

Cheers, I'll pop along tomorrow before I head to stanage and just explain the situation. The main road is definitely not an option, especially not in the tourist season. If you park in Glen Lednock, there is 2 wee laybys (not the passing places) and also the small parking place at the Deil's Cauldron, might be a better option until something better is put in place on the Dunira side of the hill.
Cheers
 Andy Nisbet 26 Jun 2014
In reply to aultguish:

It's going to say in the next SMC Journal:
PERTHSHIRE, Dunira:
The estate have started objecting to the parking place, so please park at the houses (NN 734 238) which the guidebook suggests as an alternative.

The MCofS did contact the estate about it but there was no conclusion. In fact the estate have no right (as far as we know) to stop folk parking at the houses(which are privately owned), and I've spoken to one house owner who said it was fine for climbers to park there. Rather than antagonise the estate, it seemed best for climbers just to park at the houses and keep quiet. There is no parking on the main road. If you have been stopped parking at the houses, then I need to contact the MCofS again (Angela Partridge I think it is - access officer).
OP m dunn 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

The estate chap didn't seem to be suggesting back at the houses; but if we go again (post midges!) we'll park there. Perhaps estate should consider a wee notice indicating their preferred (safe) parking spot? Thanks all.

mike
aultguish 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks for the info Andy.
I'll hang back and let Angela deal with this but do let me know if there is no resolution and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks
 Andy Nisbet 27 Jun 2014
In reply to m dunn:

> The estate chap didn't seem to be suggesting back at the houses; but if we go again (post midges!) we'll park there. Perhaps estate should consider a wee notice indicating their preferred (safe) parking spot? Thanks all.

That won't happen. The estate aren't helpful, just polite.
 Andy Nisbet 27 Jun 2014
In reply to aultguish:

> I'll hang back and let Angela deal with this but do let me know if there is no resolution and I'll see what I can do.

There is no resolution and Angela (with my agreement) has decided not to stir further. Really we were waiting to see if parking at the houses worked. But if you have some inside contact, it might be worth it. But be careful - the estate aren't going to know if climbers park at the houses, because friends, tradesmen etc. park there, so letting them know that we are recommending parking there could cause a problem. Just whether the house owners can give permission is also not known.

The problem arose when the estate changed hands. The original agreement to park was not passed on.
aultguish 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Cheers Andy, I live on the neighbouring Estate and know quite a few workers from both Estates, so I'll see if I can utilize a wee bit of local knowledge and find a resolution.
Heading off down south just now, so I won't be able to pick this up until Wednesday, I'll let you know how I get on.
 Andy Nisbet 27 Jun 2014
In reply to aultguish:

That would be brilliant. If the estate could be persuaded that there would just be the odd car and not minibuses with groups, and that the previous owners had no problems, then they might (just might) relax a little. Still parking at the houses though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...