UKC

the lightest chalk bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Johnny walker 26 Jun 2014
Roam Ready use the cuben fabric to built lighter chalkbag(around1.2oz), do you guys think the weight of chalk bag could make you climb better?
 Pete Dangerous 26 Jun 2014
Yes of course. Going commando when climbing and making sure you pick your nose thoroughly before an ascent can bump you up one or two grades.
 Enty 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Johnny walker:

Absolutely. I was on a F5 last week. Crux was hard and a bit spicey because the bolt was way down by my knees. I unclipped my chalkbag, let it drop and the rest of the route then felt easy.
Good job it was only 38° celsius as I didn't need the chalk anyway.

E
Nougatkatja 26 Jun 2014

That's a joke right??? How much weight are they saving, 20g? Just take a piss before you start climbing...
 Marek 26 Jun 2014

I think the climbing equipment industry is missing a trick here. As with cycling, as performance improves there comes point where 'aero' becomes more important than 'lightweight'. Have you considered the extra drag you get from having in effect an open parachute tied to your harness as you go for that big dyno? Of course the cheapskate here will suggest that all you need to do is turn the bag upside down to get a significant aero advantage - with the added benefit that the chalk will fall out and reduce weight too! Give it a go - you'll be surprised.
In reply to Nougatkatja:

Maybe we can take a piss then use a lighter chalkbag. I think it is a little difference between our weight and weight of chalkbag, sometimes i feel uncomfortable if there's something heavy hanging around my waist.
In reply to Marek:

that's true,sometimes aero is more important than lightweight:)
needvert 26 Jun 2014
Cuben fibre is a really nice material. Why not use it in a chalk bag?

Is it the price? Because chalk bags range from $10 to $38, this one sits at $30 - which doesn't price it out of the market.

In reply to needvert:

yes,it's kind of expensive, but $30 is not so expensive, maybe nobody noticed it just because it's a small brand.
Removed User 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

> I unclipped my chalkbag, let it drop and the rest of the route

I've done that a few times as well, what a difference it makes.

Mind you, on the other hand I have more than once stuck a weighty rock in my partners chalk bag, knowing that he wouldn't use it; just to give me the edge of course.
 Billhook 26 Jun 2014

Having a dump before you climb makes good. But not in your mates chalk bag though!
In reply to Removed User:

put a heavy rock in next time, lighter chalk bag can not impact the result,but a heavy rock will.
Removed User 26 Jun 2014

If you replace the belt (or carabiner if you clip it onto yourself) with fishing line you'd prob save a couple grams there as well.
 Pete Dangerous 26 Jun 2014
Have all your teeth replaced by dentures and remove them before the send!
Removed User 26 Jun 2014

> put a heavy rock in next time,

it was a heavy rock, it filled the bag.
 Billhook 28 Jun 2014

Circumcision knocks a few gramms off. If you're lucky!

I'm starting to get sick of those pesky organs we don't need, weighing us down on those tough VDiffs - kidney, appendix, extra lung... Definitely the reason I'm not climbing E5!

Could a chalk compartment somehow be incorporated into one's ball bag? That would be zero additional weight, apart from some stitching.
 Dr.S at work 28 Jun 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Circumcision knocks a few gramms off. If you're lucky!

Pah! The really dedicated go for castration - that can save a couple of hundred grams
 The Potato 28 Jun 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
yeah remove one testicle and replace it with chalk?

Then theres other things like hair, toenails, ears, could easily loose a kg in all.
Post edited at 17:58
 PPP 14 Jul 2014

Well, I think we have a winner here. This chalk bag is lighter twice weighing only 0.6 oz!
http://www.hanchor.com/products/SUL%20Series/Balloon_SUL_Chalk_bag?locale=e...
 coreybennett 14 Jul 2014

Piss, take a shit, take off all your clothes, shave your hair, drop the harness and tie the rope around your waist, then you'll be light enough to climb like Adam ondra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...