UKC

Where to take a 5 yearold, lower wye valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 26 Jun 2014
Since moving to Essex (sad crying smiley) I have taken a friend and his five year old daughter to Stow-Market wall a few times. We are hvaing a weekend holiday together (their family and mine) in Monmouth and I have agreed to take them outside probably only for one climb so that they can experience it.
I'm really excited about doing this but I'm not sure which area or climb to go for. The little girl is great fun and enjoys the climbing but sometimes doesn't want to go all the wya to the top, I have kept our indoor tims light and she can do as she pleases without pressure i.e. climb to the top or not and stop when she has had enough.
I was thinking maybe Golden fleece (Symonds Yat) because it is straight up and down and I know it really well but would love your thoughts.
pasbury 26 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Golden Fleece is a nice route but the general environment at the yat is not the most child friendly. I asked the same question here a while back and several people suggested Plump Hill Quarry near Cinderford. Not been yet but it does seem to fit the bill.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1582
 BusyLizzie 26 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

The problem with SY, for children, is that the path below the crag is steep in places and gets slippery and dangerous when wet. However, I have had fun with my children at SY on New Orleans Buttress - the southern end of the crag. It is approached wihout going all the way along the path - you walk southwards from the car park (follow, initially, the stakes with red markings) and find the gully. Mississipi and Plantation Chimney would be nice for a little one, and not as high as Golden Fleece.
OP Puppythedog 26 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Thank you both,I had figured on abseillling in to goldenfleece if I needed to get there but had the same worries as mentioned about the path. I was going to fix her to me and manage it or head further towards pam's pride becuase I soloed a Vdiff there (can't remember what) and remember the path being easier but the VDIFF having a reach or two in it.
Plump hill might be best bet, it's tough to balance up my desire for them to have a real experience versus maybe them not being ready for a real experience I think plumphill is tame but then maybe that's good
 Bobling 26 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

How about Wintours? Approach from Lanacut Lane down the trail which goes past the ruined church (appropriate place to stop, snack/lunch up and take in the ambience with a great view of the whole crag) then go up and set up a top rope from the Broadwalk (I think that is what it is called) down the first pitch of whichever easy route goes up to the Broadwalk (one of the corner buttresses?). If you think appropriate then scramble out via the easy way down (rope for the last few moves?) for a grand day out?
In reply to Bobling:

That's a brilliant idea, I had dismissed Wyntour's because it didn't occur to me we could simply do a pitch of a climb Thanks for the suggestion.
In reply to puppythedog:

I had thought about Fly wall but wondered if Moth would be too difficult o feel too exposed.
 Bobling 26 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

It is a bit harder and multipitch or a very long pitch so easier to freak a five year old out on, I'd go for my suggestion but then I would! ; )
 Ross B 26 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Was down plum on Tuesday, I would take some shears as the walk in is getting very over grown, I am going to try and get it cleared back a bit in the next couple of weeks. The climbs are reasonably clear at the moment of brambles at the moment as I attacked them a couple of weeks back.

Ross
 Brass Nipples 26 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

How about a canoe trip instead?
In reply to Orgsm:

But then I wouldn't manage to take them climbing

Thanks for the suggestions all.
OP Puppythedog 28 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Any more suggestions. Great ones so far but don't want to miss out on any other options to consider.
 IPPurewater 28 Jun 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Snoozin Suzie is another good one at Symonds Yat. I think you can abseil off a tree after pitch 1. Also there is a walk off after pitch 2 according to my guidebook. I never done it so can't recommend.

You might want to rope up to go across to the starting tree, to protect the youngster though.
OP Puppythedog 29 Jun 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done Suzy a few times, I was thinking it's not up and down enough to keep the rope above the nipper. Think I may have to go for plump hill because although less exciting that is kind of the point for these and their first time out.
 paul wood 14 Jul 2014
Hello
I have young kids that climb and live in Woodcroft (Lower Wye Valley).

I think Moth would be too hard for most 5 year olds you'll probably just put them off for a couple of years. I also think there is too much wobbly rock on Snoozin Susie to keep them safe.

I really think 5 is a bit young for most of the formal routes in the Wye Valley.

I short roped my kids up the easy way down (Easy way up), at Wintours, at about that age and they loved it as the felt they were mountaineering.

There is a small slab that runs down into Woodcroft Quarry on the right as you walk into towards Fly Wall. It is immediately below the Dragonfly belay. Belaying on the metal girder and Silver Birch tree. But only good for one ascent.

And top ropes can be organised at the foot of the Wintours Leap easy way down too. There are lots of easy options here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...