UKC

Beinn Heasgarnich hydro road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Colin Wells 26 Jun 2014
Hey up everyone

Just wondering whether anyone's been up the hydro road from Glen Lochay to Glen Lyon recently - is it still passable in a normal vehicle or have the monster potholes finally turned into gullies?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Many ta's in advance.

Cheers,
Col
 top cat 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Colin Wells:

Did it in January in a Megan estate, but only just..............
 kwoods 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Colin Wells:

Walked down in last summer, wouldn't bother taking my car up that but then I've got a wee car. Pretty bad though
OP Colin Wells 26 Jun 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Cheers for that lads - much appreciated.

Col
 allanscott 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Colin Wells:

Have to say it's not a road for a road car these days (if indeed it ever was). You might find the gates closed too. Was there not a thread to that effect on here recently?Certainly saw one somewhere online (might have been Walkhighlands right enough).
 Dave Hewitt 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Colin Wells:

Depends to an extent on which way you're coming - if you've got the option of coming in from the N end, say after having driven right along Glen Lyon, then it's in much better nick, or at least was the last time I was there, in summer last year. The section that's akin to an official commemoration of the Great War is really just the southern section, up to around where that useful side-track branches off towards Creag Mhor etc. Coming from the N side also avoids any gate hassle too.

Btw, hope you're keeping well Colin, and scraping together a vaguely interesting living - you should be writing regularly about hills for some mainstream outlet, so you should. If you're ever passing Stirling and fancy a cuppa and/or a wander, give a shout...
OP Colin Wells 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Thanks for the info Allan and Dave - confirms what I suspected - been a couple of years since I was over that way and could just about get the van over with a bit of due care and attention.

Sounds like a Landrover job then (luckily, we can get hold of one - we're doing some monitoring work for SNH on the SAC over the summer so will be travelling over there quite a bit and will definitely have to use the road a lot).

Good to hear fae ye again Dave - will call by for a blether when I get a minute!

Cheers,
Col
 kwoods 27 Jun 2014
In reply to allanscott:

> Have to say it's not a road for a road car these days (if indeed it ever was). You might find the gates closed too. Was there not a thread to that effect on here recently?Certainly saw one somewhere online (might have been Walkhighlands right enough).

I saw the gate shut but not locked. In fact some guys in a car drove up, one got out opened the gate to let the car through.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...