UKC

Beginners MTB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam_in_Leeds 26 Jun 2014
Ok, so the company have finally joined the cycle to work scheme and got me thinking it's about time to have my mid-life crisis and buy a silly(Ish) bike.

The scheme's run through Evans rather than Halfords but I've no idea what I'm looking for.

Anyone point me towards a decent beginners bike for about £750?

not planning on doing anything too hard-core, maybe some "trail-centres" like Dalby Forest and just the usual green-belt type stuff around Leeds.

Anyone any ideas what I should be looking at?
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:

Friend just got one of these and it is very good indeed at £799. Great value and spec and its MBR Hardtail of the year (Sub £1k):

Vitus Bikes Sentier 275 VR Hardtail

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-sentier-275-vr-hardtail-bike...

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/mbr-hardtail-of-the-year-sneak-previe...
OP Sam_in_Leeds 26 Jun 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Only problem is it's got to be from Evans.

DaveHK 26 Jun 2014
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
>
> Only problem is it's got to be from Evans.

Check that out carefully if you haven't already.

Some are tied to a single outlet however we got told it absolutely had to be Halfrauds but when I looked at the T&Cs it turned out to be bollocks.

Mikkel 26 Jun 2014

Just look through all the old models on sale at evans
OP Sam_in_Leeds 26 Jun 2014
In reply to psychomansam:

apart from bigger wheels what's the difference between 29" wheels and smaller ones?

I'm only 5"6.5 btw
 balmybaldwin 26 Jun 2014

Evans can get just about any "name" bike in, but you might have to order it in to try it (they'll let you order 5 bikes to the store to try before you buy (but you are only allowed them for 30 mins each).

I got my bike there, but I don't like them as a shop, and the proper local bike shop get all my custom unless its a warranty issue.
 psychomansam 26 Jun 2014

Well at your height you might look a bit special on them, and if it's your first mtb, perhaps go 26.
29s can give you a smoother ride, rather like having a bit more all-round suspension. But can also be a bit less nimble.
They roll better, but are worse at acceleration.
 balmybaldwin 26 Jun 2014
The theory is that 29" wheels roll better over uneven ground and carry a bit more momentum (some people claim they climb better but that's just the gearing effect that can be got by shifting), but they are quite a bit heavier (a 29r tends to be a couple of pounds more than the same bike on 26"), and some people (including me) don't get on with them. It's also a bit uncertain how long 29rs will be around, and most bikes seem to be going with 27.5" now.

My mtb is 26", I tried the other sizes, but 27.5 wasn't really around at the time(2 ears ago) and i didn't like the 29rs that were available...they all seemed really slow to react to steering input and sort of rose up on me too much for my liking and i like a manoeuvrable, fun bike rather than an all out xc racer (I go out to have fun, not to ride the fastest I can). I'm 5'8" Generally shorter riders will get on better with smaller wheels, as the frame geometry is a bit compromised by the bigger wheels on smaller bikes.

It really is a personal thing though so try all the sizes before you buy... preferably off road on varied terrain.
Post edited at 19:11
 Wry Spudding 26 Jun 2014
It also depends on your skill level and fitness. Have you done much MTBing? It may be worth hiring/demoing some bikes first. Are any of your mates into MTBing that could give you advice/ let you have a ride of theirs? Otherwise you may be in danger of spending quite a bit on a bike that may have a reasonable spec 'on paper' but that you soon decide doesn't suit you. For example at trail centres, there's quite a difference between what you'll be comfortable on the different grades of trail.
Post edited at 19:18
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2014

If you are smaller (e,g 5.6) stay away from 29ers (so I've been told)

650B (27.5) should be all good

I've gone 650B and the difference is subtle, but definitely faster. The wheels don't feel/look much bigger.
 Bob 26 Jun 2014

A lot of people might sniff at them but Boardman bikes are pretty good value for money, I know one or two with Boardman road bikes, the MTBs get decent reviews. I know they're Halfords based but like others have said check the T&C of your scheme's provider - you should be able to get a transferable voucher if Evans can't get a demo model in for you.

26 v 27.5 (650b) v 29 ? My wife ( shorter than yourself) tried a 29er and looked like a kid on an adult's bike, she went for the 650b (the blue one when I asked how much it cost!!) I was looking for a hardtail and hadn't tried either of the "newer" wheel sizes so tried out a couple of demo bikes. I didn't notice much difference between my existing 26in wheeled bike and the 27.5in but the 29er was a different matter - it felt right for me (i'm 5'10.5"). I actually went for a different make to what I'd demoed though I'd tried the shop owner's build of what I went for round the yard. Let's just say it's Spinal Tap territory - the grin factor goes up to 11.

It looks like 26in bikes are on the way out over the next few years from the major manufacturers as they settle on the larger wheel sizes and try and sell more bikes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...