UKC

Lake Garda – Family walking, climbing, etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cezza 26 Jun 2014
I’ll be camping for a week with the family (ages 5 – 40) at the south end of Lake Garda in August. All are reasonably fit and used to UK hill walking (summer and winter), climbing, and cycling. We’re taking bikes and maybe some climbing gear. I’m looking for some suggestions and locations for any of the following within a couple of hours drive:

1. Easy snow – such as chairlift with some snow and a good view at the top
2. A moderate walk – equivalent to Snowdon via Pyg/Miners
3. A harder walk – equivalent to Ben Nevis via CMD arête
4. Via Ferrata with some routes for all ages and abilities
5. Flat and easy cycle destinations
6. Harder mountain biking destinations
7. Anything else around that area that might be fun that I’ve missed.

Many Thanks

Cezza
 Toerag 27 Jun 2014
In reply to cezza:
4 & 7 - do VF Rio Sallagoni at night for a brilliant creepy crawly experience. It's not really for under 12s though, they'll struggle with reach as it's a 'new skool' style one in a smooth gorge where the only holds are the cable and stemples. It only takes an hour or two, we started at dusk and finished right at the top of the gorge - you have to scramble out right over a wall, skirt a water treatment works and cross a bridge over the gorge to head back towards the castle. If it's just rained it may be very wet/dangerous, it was more or less a trickle when we did it. The other VFs in the valley are fine, The hard one above Sarche is hard though.
Post edited at 12:28
OP cezza 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks Toerag
In reply to cezza:

There is an easy but long alpine walk from Malcesine to the top of Monte Baldo (1760 m), with great views. There is also a cable car to from Malcesine to the top. This means that you could either walk up or down or both (or neither!), depending on how energetic you want to be. The top is a gently undulating ridge, so there is probably good mountain biking around there.
OP cezza 27 Jun 2014
In reply to John Stainforth:

Thanks John, sounds good.
 33% Longer 27 Jun 2014
In reply to cezza:

Malcesine to Monte Baldo is big with the D/H bikers. Bike up in the cable car and ride down. I stopped in Malcesine in May last year and when we left there was some snow falling on the top too.
OP cezza 28 Jun 2014
In reply to 33% Longer:

Thank you 33%

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...