/ Training specifically for the velodrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Richard Carter - on 26 Jun 2014
Well just as the title says really, aside from actually being in a velodrome, what's the best training plan? Should I focus on short fast rides, or hill work to try and increase power, or (god forbid!) interval training?

Getting a lot of mileage in at the moment but looking to focus my efforts before I hit the boards at the end of next month.
ewar woowar on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

Depends entirely on which event(s) you are targetting.
woolsack - on 26 Jun 2014

Where are you off to?
In reply to woolsack:

Manchester.
In reply to ewar woowar:

1km.

ewar woowar on 27 Jun 2014

You'll need a massive amount of power for the start and a massive amount of stamina to continue at max output for the 1k.

So a mix of short hard sprints, increasing the time/distance as you improve, combined with some more endurance focussed training.

Weights for building the legs would be a good idea too.
A bit of upper body wk too for the start.

Manchester is a great velodrome. I've ridden there a few times.

An hour on the boards is quite hard work!
JLS on 27 Jun 2014

For the kilo I think standing(ish) start intervals in a biggish gear would be helpful.

I've been riding at the Glasgow Track League. Races are generally fast 3 to 10 minute efforts at 28-30mph. Not that I'm any good but my main training involved 10x3min intervals with 1min rests or, if on the track, 6 laps "on" 2 laps "off".
SteveRi - on 27 Jun 2014
Have you got a fixie? I don't really race (apart from a bit of cx) and found I had a bit of an edge over the seemingly 'fitter' people I visited the velodrome with just from regular fixed riding.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.