UKC

Zugspitze

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm heading to Munich in September. As well as Octoberfest I'm looking to head into the Bavarian Alps. Zugspizte is about an hour away so seems like a good idea. Does anyone know of any guide books for the area in English? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 AlanLittle 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Wolfy1987 NEWMC:

The Zugspitze is important to Germans because it's the highest mountain in the country, but is (therefore) something of a vertical slum and not really that nice an experience. Rather like Snowdon.

There are far more worthwhile things to go at within easy reach of Munich. Are you after walking / scrambling / via ferrata / climbing?
 smithg 28 Jun 2014

Summitpost page plus a paper map is more than adequate.

http://www.summitpost.org/zugspitze/150322

Hollental and Jubilaumsgrat are pleasant routes but long days. It would be easy to miss the last cable-car down.
 KlaasW 28 Jun 2014

Consider crossing the Watzmann above Bergtesgaden. Not done it myself but defo on wish list and much more attractive than Zugspitze.
 BnB 28 Jun 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

> Consider crossing the Watzmann above Bergtesgaden. Not done it myself but defo on wish list and much more attractive than Zugspitze.

This^^^^^

Stunning area and plenty to see beyond the Watzmann. Konigsee beneath the north face is magnificent.
 Mike Turner 28 Jun 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

> Consider crossing the Watzmann above Bergtesgaden. Not done it myself but defo on wish list and much more attractive than Zugspitze.

Definitely agree with this. Although the Zugspitze is Germany's highest peak, the Watzmann is the highest peak wholly within German (i.e. no shared borders), and because there aren't 2 cable cars and a funicular railway going up it, it is much more of a mountaineer's mountain.

Having lived in Munich for a couple of years, none of the climbers I knew there ever talked about gong to the Zugspitze, they'd all prefer to head off for Berchtesgaden for a day/weekend in the mountains.

Mike
 kenr 28 Jun 2014
Having climbed the Watzmann-Ostwand and most of the Watzmann traverse, and the Jubilaeumsgrat, my choice for a repeat would be to take the lift partway up the Alpspitz then traverse the Jubilaeumsgrat ridge E to W to the Zugzpite, then take lift or railway back down (with a bicycle or taxi shuttle between finish and start. Or do the Jubilaeumsgrat in the opposite W to E direction (generally downhill).

Because with the J-grat, I spent lots of time actually on or close to the crest of the ridge, did some interesting climbing moves -- and avoided the full brunt of a long long knee-and-ankle joint pounding descent (but have to start early and go fast to finish before the last lift down).

On the Watzmann traverse, I was mostly off on one side of the ridge, with that mostly the West side (therefore no view of the K-see lake). And not many interesting climbing moves, and finished with a long long joint-pounding descent.

Ken
 kenr 28 Jun 2014
If you want the Berchtesgaden lake-view thing, go up to Kehlstein and to the loop scramble (perhaps going partway up the via ferrata / klettersteig) and take the boat ride.

If really need to climb the Watzmann, I would rent a bike and ride that up to the K______ place, then hike/scramble up to the N summit (Hocheck?) of Watzmann, and return the same way, finish with a non-pounding bicycle descent.
cb294 29 Jun 2014

Even if you go to Garmisch there are nicer summits around. Depends on what you want to do, for climbing you could try the Waxensteine or the Alpspitze north face.

CB
alpinist_87 30 Jun 2014

September is actually a great time to be down there, probably provides some of the best stable weather of the whole year.

What you should do really depends on how much time you have at hand
since the bavarian alps from berchtesgarden in the east to the allgäu in the west offer action for a life time.

Most real mountaineers frown upon climbing the zugspitze since the summit and the surrounding area are extremely over developed and mostly overcrowded.
(Also called the highest permanent construction site in germany.)
It is still a must see if only for the freak factor of the ski resort and tourist masses on the weekend.

You can not really say the Watzmann is the wilder experience.
Just because there is no cable car, it does not mean it's less crowded.
However september should be a good time since there are no holidays and you could do it midweek.
Definetly take two days for the traverse:
Climb to Watzmannhaus one afternoon, sleep there and do the traverse the next day.
Start early and take lots of water.

Whenever staying at huts call them to make sure there's space, even if it is just before ascending.

As mentioned, Höllental and waxensteine could be a good day tour.
Höllental ascent up to the glacier is a must see as well.

An alternative to zugspitze especially for some real climbing is
the mieminger massif just south of zugspitze.
It is on the same map as well.

http://www.coburgerhuette.at/de/Home_260

The Karwendel range is the largest uninhabitated area in europe.
This is really an area for mountain adventures.

http://www.summitpost.org/karwendel/174830

redsonja 28 Jul 2014

there are fantastic via ferratas on both Zugspitze and its neighbour, alpspitze, starting from Hammersbach, near Garmish. The café and loads of people on the top of Zugspitze are a bit of a shock when you get there, but its still a really enjoyable day
 Babika 29 Jul 2014

I absolutely loved the Zugspitze and would climb it again tomorrow if I were in the area.

The Hollental gorge is brilliant, the waterfalls, cascades, tunnels and rivers to paddle in give a brilliant Day 1 up to the Hoolentallhutte where some lovely Bavarian cuisine awaited (we had wild boar as the normal hut evening meal) .
Day 2 was a glacier, bergschrund, lots of via ferrata and scrambling in beautiful scenery without a cable car or funicular in sight until the last 50m.

I do wonder if some of the people posting on here have actually climbed this route judging by their disparaging comments? It is great fun, beautiful scenery and could be done in a day although you would be racing and wouldn't enjoy yourself as much.

The final summit is commercial but hey! get a lift down if you don't want to reverse everything.
 Toerag 31 Jul 2014

Another option is to get the cablecar up toward the Alpspitze then walk down to the hollental hut then do the VF up to the top. There is a mountain hut on the top you could stay in? Apart from that, there is the mauerlaufer ('wall runner') VF on the Alpspitze you could have a go at. http://www.bergsteigen.com/klettersteig/bayern/wetterstein-gebirge-und-miem...
 Babika 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Toerag:

But then you miss out the rather wonderful Hollental Gorge!
alpinist_87 13 Aug 2014

The Mauerläufer is actually on the north face of the Bernadeinwaende,
which is about an hour's walk from the alpspitze.
I have not done it yet, but it is supposed to be one of the most spectacular
VF in the bavarian alps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...