UKC

6-7mm cord, abbing on it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 30 Jun 2014
I'm familiar with the idea of using 6-7mm cord as a tag line but has anyone any experience abbing on it directly? Only asking as I saw that Steck carried 60m with him on the Peuterey Integrale to do the abs with.

Rick Graham 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Abbed off 6mm+9mm, 7mm+8.5mm, 5mm+5mm .

Be careful with differential rope slippage, slashing thin ropes and rope stretch.

Ideally practice with a top rope first.

Getting the ideal amount of friction takes practice.

If possible I put both ropes thro the same hole in the plate and if the rope is very thin an additional friction hitch after or before the plate.

On a 20m free ab on the double 5mm, an in line Italian hitch and ATC worked very well, but otherwise felt on the limit of acceptability for safety, not for the faint hearted. I still prefer double 10mm.
 Dave Searle 30 Jun 2014

I use a 6mm Kevelar/spectre quite often for abseiling. Use a small belay device and a 4mm prusick to get extra friction. Expect it to be slicker than a normal rope.
 John Kelly 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

'an in line Italian hitch and ATC'

never heard that one before - Like
 andrewmc 30 Jun 2014

What about the often mentioned but I've never tried or seen 'Monster Munter'? Supposed to twist the ropes less than a normal munter, but provides additional braking force...
 Rick Graham 01 Jul 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Just looked it up. Could be ideal.

www.animatedknots.com/muntersuper/index.php?
 andrewmc 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Just looked it up. Could be ideal.

> www.animatedknots.com/muntersuper/index.php?

Indeed, with the note that presumably the carabiner should be the other way round to stop the brake line rubbing on the screwgate?

> an in line Italian hitch and ATC

I use a 6mm line as an escape rope for soloing on relatively easy alpine routes, and I've used it a couple times with no issue abbing with just the ATC. But that was on low-angled ground where most of my weight was still on my feet.

How does the in line munter work? Do you extend one on a sling or something? Does it matter what order you use them?
 Rick Graham 01 Jul 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> Indeed, with the note that presumably the carabiner should be the other way round to stop the brake line rubbing on the screwgate?

Noticed that after posting.

Might be hard to tie it the other way.

Again it needs a practice trial.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...