UKC

Executive Summary/Abstract

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 30 Jun 2014
Anyone got any tips on writing an abstract/executive summary for a dissertation in 300 words max.

Just wrote 15,000 words and now struggling to write 300!! The issue I am having is that I have done a critical review (not a research project)so I have findings etc from literally line no.1. I have reviewed the approach in England against a number of other regulatory approaches spanning the globe.

I have a discussion and conclusion chapter with about 10,000 words how do I break it down to 300?

What goes in to the abstract? Any tips will be appreciated.

cheers
 Tall Clare 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Sure someone will be along with a proper technique in a moment but the place I'd start from would be by considering how I'd explain what I'd done to someone in a five minute conversation. I'd note that down then work up the abstract from those headline points.
OP Alan M 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Sure someone will be along with a proper technique in a moment but the place I'd start from would be by considering how I'd explain what I'd done to someone in a five minute conversation. I'd note that down then work up the abstract from those headline points.

Good idea, I have a lot of findings but most of them are a different formulation of the same thing. I will try your idea it seems like a plausible way of doing things.
 Coel Hellier 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Tall Clare has it exactly right. Imagine that your granny asked you what you dissertation says, what would you reply? Do not try to cover everything in the abstract, you can't, so essentially tell the reader why they would find it worthwhile reading further.
 lithos 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Alan M:

as guy i work with would say

"it's a summary even an executive would understand"

though with fewer buzz words
 hamsforlegs 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Alan M:

I'm not an expert, but from limited experience of doing this, I have learned that 'executive summary' and 'abstract' could have different emphases.

An executive summary is normally intended for people (managerial types) who will need to make policy and implementation decisions based on the findings; ie give them a quick overview of your work and highlight any key findings, questions, risks etc. Will usually reflect the likely audience (civil servants, CFOs, programme managers in the engineering sector or whoever).

An abstract is more of an attempt to summarise the work for others who might also have a research interest; scope, method, key findings, conclusions.
cb294 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Alan M:

The generic abstract is split into context, question, findings (including methods), conclusion, consequences.

In your case e.g.:

Process XYZ has to be regulated because....

Different countries use method ZXY.

In England we use method ABC.

Which method is better/cheaper/safer/...?

I compare published data on the effect of regulation on paramter ZZZ.

I find that method X works best

All countries should adopt approach X, as this will cure AIDS, Cancer and Alzheimer (or not...)

I would aim for about 300 words (1-2 sentences per point)

Same again for the exec. summary, but give it maybe one page.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...