UKC

Mount Khuiten (Mongolia)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark123 30 Jun 2014
I’m aiming to climb Mount Khuiten (Mongolia) in late August from a high camp (3775m) on the Potaniin Glacier as a client on a commercial expedition. A map and photo in Beazley’s World Mountaineering suggests our route will be the North east ridge. I was wondering if commercial expeditions just go to the North Summit (4370m) or do they go further along to the true summit (4374m) which looks about 700m to the south (given good conditions etc). How long does it take to get from the N to S summit and back? Is this section heavily crevassed and tricky, or a PD roped glacier plod?
redsonja 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Mark123:

which company are you going with? I have a brochure for KE travel and it says they go to 4374m so presumably the true summit with them. you could always give the company a ring and ask
 imkevinmc 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Mark123:

Best and most eventful trip I have ever taken, helped by the Chinese playing silly buggers because it was their olympic year in 2008. And we had a full eclipse sitting up on the morraine. Zero light pollution, so with no moon the stars were amazing.

However, we didn't summit Kuitchen because of injury to a key team member.
OP Mark123 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Mark123:

Thanks both; that's good advice from redsonya -yes I will also check with the company and trip leader. Also good to hear that imkevinmc had such a great trip there.

cheers
redsonja 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Mark123:

I hope you enjoy Mount Khuiten- Its high on my tick list!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...