UKC

tips on open water / wild swimming?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 01 Jul 2014
Yo been for a short swim in a local lake last week which I enjoyed. I dont think Im going to get in to triathlons or anything but just want to enjoy swimming outdoors more.

Ive got a cap, swimming goggles and neoprene shorts (my kayaking ones), any other tips on gear, technique, prep etc welcomed please
 Billhook 01 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Do you know the legal background?

According to those who own the riparian rights, which for all intentions are fishermen, then neither swimmers or especially canoeists should be in or on 'their waters'.

A quick look here might bring you up to speed.
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?28987-The-Legal-Posit...
 ClimberEd 01 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Swim parallel to the shoreline until you get much more confident.

Practice siting - look up every 3-5 strokes to check your line - think crocodile rather than fully lifting your head out of the water.

Enjoy, it's great fun!
 wintertree 01 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Gear: I've never wanted any gear for outdoor swimming, other than my Suunto Core to get a water temperature and to give me a maximum depth when diving under the sea. If you get used to going in just your boxers then you can swim anywhere, anywhen without needing to carry kit.

Technique: I'm a great fan of breast stroke when in rivers - it seems more stable when you get into the choppy water approaching a waterfall (from below!) and it disturbs the wildlife much less, with the later forming half the charm.

Tips: The key for me is to get adapted to cold water - every year I spend a couple of weeks swimming in the sea daily, typical temperature range 14oC to 19oC. I start at 15 mins/day and build up to 25-30. After that most of the rivers and lakes seem warm!

Local yoof (or their parents) often know of excellent spots. On the down side you may find your day interrupted when, pissed as a fart, one of them jumps in from the wrong rocks and lays moaning in the shallows.

Safety: Find a way to objectively gauge your strength, for example timing yourself between points parallel to the shore - so you can calibrate how fast your muscles wear down from the cold vs how you feel.

Beware peaty water - it can make rocks very slippery, and it obscures sight of boulders under the surface.

Respect currents of water in rivers - they can be an awful lot stronger than you think. Often swimming sideways gets you out of them but it's better not to find out the hard way.

Don't swim where there are fishing people, and don't sit under a waterfall a canoe is likely to come over!
 Tony the Blade 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

So does that mean I can't canoe on the Avon between Salisbury and Christchurch? That's why I bought the bloody thing.

Surely, and this is pure speculation and assumption on my part, the fishing club owns the rights to the bank but not the water as it's transient? The water will flow through their land and I'm merely sat on top of it.
 StefanB 01 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

An inflatable safety buoy is very good for being seen by people in boats and you can hang on to it case of an emergency or simply to rest.
Many have a relatively large waterproof interior pocket which can hold stuff such as wallets, car keys, towel, etc.
I don't know about kayaking neoprene, but neoprene swimming suits are different from suits for other sports in that they provide buoyancy. If you plan to swim seriously and on days with lower water temperatures, a wetsuit is highly recommended, if somewhat expensive.
OP The Potato 01 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:
I was thinking if swimming in a watersports lake such as Lake Tegid (Bala) then Id use an orange or yellow swim hat as a visibility aid.

In pool I can swim a couple of miles at least, but obviously cold water is a different beast
Post edited at 12:32
 JamButty 01 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> (In reply to ow arm) I was thinking if swimming in a watersports lake such as Lake Tegid (Bala) then Id use an orange or yellow swim hat as a visibility aid.
>
> In pool I can swim a couple of miles at least, but obviously cold water is a different beast

You need more than just a swim hat if you're in bigger lakes, or sooner or later something will hit you.
See Stefs commnent for an option.
For somewhere like Bala you should at least have a support canoe or a group of you.

Oh and that ones cold!!!
Post edited at 12:45
In reply to StefanB:

Can you suggest a buoy please? Ive searched google but there seem to be diving ones or larger ones, im not certain what you mean
 JamButty 01 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

http://www.mailsports.co.uk/chillswim/

I'm sure we've had a thread on this before, but these are becoming more common.
Still wouldn't swim alone tho!
In reply to ow arm:

UKC is awsom, thanks everybody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...