UKC

Handmade Leather Walking Shoes/Boots - Advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 01 Jul 2014
Hi,

I've got fairly odd sized feet (wide UK 8 left and extra extra wide UK 6.5 right) and a shorter leg (~1 inch)and had custom made leather shoes (primarily for driving) for the first time recently and it's been a revelation in actually having shoes that fit and don't hurt constantly.

Following this I am thinking of getting made some walking shoes/boots for summer use, probably primarily for climbing approaches, but also for summer trekking (doing Tour du Mont Blanc in September). I'm looking at probably getting some ankle boots with a re-enforced leather rand. I'm not sure yet if I'm able to get any kind of lining, but I'm told this type of shoe should be pretty water resistant, but not quite waterproof.

Was wondering if anyone had had anything like this made before, and whether they had any advice on construction etc?

My main concerns are:
1, Breathability/being too hot (I run hot)
2, Cushioning in sole/support
3, Fair amount of waterproofness as once wet the leather probably won't dry quickly

I'm probably going to look into getting some nice padded insoles to address point 1, and the extra rand and some liberal use of dubbin might address point 3, but not sure what to do about point 2 or if it's likely to be an issue.

Any advice/suggestions very much welcome.

Regards,

Robin
 Welsh Kate 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Robin Woodward:

Have you tried Altberg?
http://www.altberg.co.uk/

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hi Kate,

I have a pair of the Altberg Mallerstang boots for mountaineering as no-one seems to make B rated boots to measure. In fact I have 2 pairs as Altberg don't do odd sized pairs, so it's far from a cheap option (I think they gave me a 20% discount or similar, but still almost £400 for a pair of B1/2 boots is a bit steep...), however they had to stretch their widest size further for my right foot and it's still pretty cramped.

Although i would love to get a pair of summer boots made to measure from them, the waiting list is 3 years and the cost well over £1000, so not really an option I'm able to take at the moment. In contrast I can get some less technical boots made to measure in a month to my spec (with limitations) for less than £200.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...