UKC

Travelling in a camper van in Slovenia and Croatia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob 01 Jul 2014
Does anyone have any recent experience of travelling around Slovenia and Croatia in a camper van? This is the plan for the summer so any advice or experiences, good or bad, would be really helpful. Thanks!
 sarahjk 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Rob:

I did, but it was Yugoslavia then, fabulous place, beautiful and friendly.

Enjoy.
 Sl@te Head 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Rob:

Had a great trip to Slovenia in a VW camper van, easy, no problems and would recommend. Didn't go as far as Croatia though.
In reply to Rob: Yep, did it in November last year. People are friendly, we had no real worries leaving the van.

Getting into Croatia was more challenging than we expected - it's not a Shengen country so they might ask a few more questions.
We did some camping in campsites, but mostly sly free camping. I think free camping is not allowed, but you're subtle then you probably won;t get hassle. Depends on how busy it is and where you are. I presume you're going to Paklenica? It's great!

heleno 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Rob:

We've done this twice - in 2004 and 2009 - and I'd really recommend it. Slovenia has well-developed tourist facilities on a par, say with Austria or Italy, but surprisingly pricy. We particularly liked Camping Vovk - the climbers campsite for Osp and Misca Pec. Croatia was less developed and much cheaper than Slovenia, but we noticed a lot of improvements to road infrastructure etc in the 5 years between visits, and there may have been much more done since.

In 2009 wild camping in Croatia was strongly discouraged due to land mines - probably the most convincing reason not to wild camp I've been given! However, I don't know the current situation and they may have been cleared by now. The campsites we stayed at were cheap and a little idiosyncratic - in Paklenica we camped at Hotel Alan which allowed us to pitch up on the sea shore and paddle our kayaks straight from our pitch.

We weren't too troubled by the border crossings - yes, you have to show your passports, but it's nothing compared to, say, Canada to US. Probably worth avoiding rush hour etc.

In both countries, everyone was really friendly. Many people speak English, but if you speak German that can also be useful (assuming you don't speak Slovene or Croatian!)

My main concern would be that it will be VERY hot in summer. The Julian Alps section of Slovenia is a little cooler, but better for mountaineering than cragging.

crisp 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Rob:

Not sure where you live or how you intend travelling to Slovenia but you can take some camper vans on the German motorail trains from Dusseldorf to Villach which saves a considerable amount of driving. Dusseldorf is about three hours driving from Rotterdam.
In reply to Rob:

I've driven to Croatia several times in the last couple of years. Make sure you make full allowance for the expensive road tolls in France and Italy, if going that way. You are also meant to buy a pass, at the border, for crossing Slovenia. Route finding from Italy into Slovenia (via Trieste) can be a bit tricky, especially if using the AA European Atlas, which has half the road numbers wrong - buy a good map of Croatia and surroundings instead. Also the AA Camping Handbook does not include many of the best campsites in Croatia - again, not recommended. Croatia is generally highly recommended and the new roads are excellent: built to the latest standards with German money. There is a very strong German presence there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...