UKC

80Litre rucsac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jpmci1 01 Jul 2014
Could someone advise me on a 80L rucsac suitable for smaller people. I'm 5'6" tall. thanks. J
 Morgan Woods 02 Jul 2014
In reply to jpmci1:

Macpac Torre is a good pack for that size...comes in 2 back lengths:

http://www.macpac.co.nz/packs/all-packs/11656.html
 Morgan Woods 02 Jul 2014
In reply to jpmci1:

Lowe would be another brand to look at.
 TobyA 02 Jul 2014
In reply to jpmci1:

Do you really need an 80 ltr sack would be my first question?

Are you following a kit list of some sort? Modern gear is so much lighter that 80 ltr packs are very rarely used/needed unless you are off to the Alaska range or similar.

If you are on 5'6" carrying 80 of much beyond pillows will be bloody hardwork.
needvert 02 Jul 2014
In reply to jpmci1:

If I were looking for a pack almost big I'd look at cilogear and hmg as I shopped about.
Eg:
http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/packs/4400-porter.html 880g, 70L

http://www.cilogear.com/7511.html 1100g, 75L

(Sorta telling that's the biggest packs in their range)
 TobyA 02 Jul 2014
In reply to needvert:

Are either of those available in the EU? I don't think so, which makes them even more expensive than they already are.

If Mr/Ms jpmci1 really is a beginner, there is good chance he/she is looking at a kit list for DofE or BSES or the like, that says "you will need an 80 ltr pack". I think dropping 500 bucks on an unseen import from the US is a bit unlikely!
needvert 02 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah...That whole VAT thing really hurts internet shopping

I bought a cilogear 30L without having ever seen on from the other side of the world. 30L fit doesn't matter so much. Really like that pack. Later on got a 55L HMG pack, they were happy to take it back if it didn't fit.

Ordering packs online is not for everybody and the bigger the pack is the more fit matters to me. Still, I prefer both packs to what my local macpac could deliver (and were cheaper too). (sold the glissade, might sell the pursuit).
 origamib 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jpmci1:

I did 3 months of travelling in a 60 litre, admittedly no tent but could easily have packed a tent with me if needed. I took a lot of unneeded things, as well as 'comfort' things. I reckon I could have minimised by a lot - although minimising is very hard to do if there is little to no experience in what is most needed and wanted
jpmci1 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

thanks
jpmci1 03 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks, Im down to do Aconcagua
 stratandrew 04 Jul 2014
In reply to jpmci1:

I'm 5' 5 1/2 tall. I had a Verte 65+15 fitted and tailored - no extra charge - (diff size hip belt) at Aiguille Alpine in Staveley. Very Comfy, Bombproof, simple.
Just used it for hauling loads of up to 27kg in Peru. I agree that a straight 80 (plus extending lid) will be overkill.

Am considering another one from them: Super Couloir 46+15. That might be big enough for Aconcagua as you can strap stuff on the outside.

Adrian is a great guy and knows his stuff - very good range of products and all British made in the Lake District.

jpmci1 04 Jul 2014
In reply to stratandrew:

That sounds interesting I'll maybe contact Adrian, I,m in N.I. but worth a phonecall. thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...