UKC

smith rocks, oregon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rog Saxton 02 Jul 2014
Anyone advise the best guide book for a trip to Smith Rocks? Trad and sport.
Cheers
Rog
 yarbles 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Rog Saxton:

Depends how long you're there for. There was a choice between a select guide and a massive book when I went. I went for the smaller one as I was only there for a few days and travelling. Did me fine.
A cabin / shop type thing down the road sells them.

Have fun, it's an amazing place.
 GDes 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Rog Saxton:

The select guide should be fine for up to a couple of weeks. You could always have a snoop at the full guide.

Brilliant place, with some superb camping spots overlooking the river. You can sit and drink your morning coffee, watching otters and bald eagles doing their morning rounds.

When are you going? Very hot until late september.
 rpc 02 Jul 2014
In reply to GDes:

Splurge a bit more & get the comprehensive one (by Alan Watts, 2nd ed.). The high watermark for modern climbing guidebooks in the US…you’ll be entertained while sipping your morning coffee.
Rog Saxton 27 Jul 2014
In reply to GDes:

apologies for the delay - only just read your reply for various boring, but annoying reasons! supposed to be going first two weeks of september - by "very hot" would you suggest prohibitively hot and go to another destination and save smith rocks for a later time of year for more enjoyment?
cheers
rog
 jon 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Rog Saxton:

I've had two visits of four or five days to Smith but long enough ago to make the guidebook that I used completely irrevelant. That said, the first visit was late August. I don't recall the temperature and I'm sure it was quite hot but I'm equally sure that we wouldn't have stayed five days had it been outrageous. My recollection is that you can find shade somewhere at all times of the day. The second visit was early October so I guess we'd have been looking for sun. I do remember particularly enjoying the crack climbing in the column sectors further upstream on that occasion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...