UKC

OCR to excel help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
the real slim shady 02 Jul 2014
Hi,

Have a large List of names/addresses etc to input to excel from a hard copy (~400 entries, 10 sheets) and rather than type it all in manually I was looking for a better way. The hard copy was originally an excel spreadsheet but the file was lost so manual entry time.

I need the spreadsheet to be exactly the same as the old one (same colums etc) so any ideas? And it kinda needs to be free as well!

Thanks guys!
 Reach>Talent 02 Jul 2014
In reply to the real slim shady:

Not knowing the situation, the quality of your scanner or your acceptable level of errors but I would be a little wary of short cuts. I spent an unenviable 18 months building and verifying large excel spreadsheets; finding and fixing errors was absolutely infuriating. We found it was often quicker to manually transcribe data and verify at the same time than it was to go back and check automatic transcription.

Is the hard copy in good condition, no fancy fonts or spurious fluff on it?
the real slim shady 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Yeah, I asked a friend and got pretty much the same answer so I just put it in manually. It is in good condition in a plain font so the recognition part wasn't an issue, it was getting it into excel which was the issue. the Mk1 Human eyeball will always be the best though!
 krikoman 04 Jul 2014
In reply to the real slim shady:

Depending on the data in the cells, I've had success scanning into word then replacing spaces with tabs then exporting to Excel

But confirming integrity can be a pain, unless you original have totals which you can then verify quicker.

Good Luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...