UKC

Ronas Hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matt_79 03 Jul 2014
I was wondering if many members have ever done much walking in the Shetland Islands. What is Ronas Hill like for walking? I can imagine the views are fantastic.

I have heard that the culture in the Shetland Islands is more Norse than Scottish and I have seen on maps that many Shetland villages have very Norse-sounding names.

There is also a myth that Norway can be seen from the Shetland Islands, but I know this is impossible.
In reply to Matt_79:

Until 1400-and-something it was pretty easy to see Norwegian soil from Ronas Hill
 GrahamUney 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Matt_79:

Yes, I used to run a company in Shetland - Shetland Walking and Wildlife. Ronas Hill is a great one - easy if you climb it from the radio masts car park on Collafirth Hill, but a bit of a bog slog if you do it from the head of Ronas Voe. For a great day out head west from the summit to Stonga Banks, and then down the fixed rope to the beach at Lang Ayre.

The walking on Foula, and out on the Westside is also superb.

Shetland is more Norse than Scottish, and no you can't see Norway from there (or Iceland, or Greenland!).

Enjoy your trip.

Graham
VickyB 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Matt_79:

Ronas Hill is alright. I can't remember there being good views but being Shetland, the cloud was probably down.

There's definitely some good walking on the west side. I'd recommend visits to Fethaland, just beyond North Roe. And there's some cracking coastal views around Braewick and Eshaness.

If you can get up to northern isles Hermaness on Unst is worth a visit. And in the south mainland, St Ninians Isle on the west side and Mousa off Sandwick on the east side are both good trips.

Enjoy and best of luck with the weather!
Matt_79 04 Jul 2014
In reply to GrahamUney:

I am not sure when I am going, but I would really like to visit the Shetland islands. I love names like Ronas Voe, which appear very Norse. I can imagine how good the walking on Foula would be.

I have heard about the myths you mention about Iceland and Greenland! I think I saw on a panorama website that you can't even see the highest point of the Orkney Islands from Ronas Hill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...