UKC

Armchair landings for dws

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bristoldave 03 Jul 2014
Have seen these referred to in the front of the dws rockfax. Any tips, or ideally links to videos of a good example? Thanks.

<insert bmc participation statement here >
 Chris Ebbutt 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Bristoldave:

I think there are pictures of Martin Crocker stealing his kids arm bands, attaching them to his harness to limit the depth of entry over a shallow landing. I liked the idea although must confess that have not tried it yet myself. Hitting the water from any serious height bottom out always scared me, particularly if without adequate coverage( wet suit/ cycle shorts). Curious to see more informed answers.
Cheers Chris
 Gus 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bristoldave:

To be honest if you're having to think about/ put into practice armchair landings then you're not really in proper, ideal Deep Water Soloing territory, as it's a technique for shallower water, which as you can imagine isn't ideal.

Go safe, go deep and learn to "Pencil in!"
 Toerag 04 Jul 2014
In reply to chris ebbutt:

> I think there are pictures of Martin Crocker stealing his kids arm bands, attaching them to his harness to limit the depth of entry over a shallow landing.

He also steals their lilos to use as impromptu boulder mats!
to the OP - it's landing in the position you would have if you were slouched in an armchair. The idea is that the large surface area stops you going too deep.

Cheese Monkey 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bristoldave:

Tips-

Dont do it. Hurts alot, seen quite bad bruising from it
 Dan Arkle 04 Jul 2014
Shallow water soloing is not a lot of fun.

Armchair landings from any real height will hurt, badly. In addition to water slap and bruising, its fairly easy to damage your neck/back too. Try to avoid landing on your ears too as you can pop your ear drums.

An armchair landing is a compromise between pain, how deep you want to go and how much time you have in the air to sort yourself out.

As flat as possible will keep you shallow. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12773427
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen.
In reply to Bristoldave:

Unless you want a salt-water enema (which can cause all sorts of problems) and a lot of bruises, I would avoid.
OP Bristoldave 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Briintereste:

Thanks all for replies. I guess I just think I should have the technique in my 'toolbox'. The bit I don't fully understand is when to assume the position- is it as you enter the water or before, hence why a vid might be helpful. Hit the bottom off pencilling off a route that I think is usually considered pretty safe the other day hence the question (probably pushed it a little bit with the tide).
 Cheese Monkey 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Bristoldave:

Hitting the bottom slightly will hurt a lot less than bright purple and green thighs. If it's that shallow that you need to do an armchair type landing then I wish you all the best! Braver than me.

Would have thought assuming the position at the last minute would be better so you can 'control' your flight a bit more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...