UKC

New to climbing. Need advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bonia 04 Jul 2014
Hi guys, me and a friend have recently took up rock climbing as a hobby.
I would like some advice on gear would be best suited to us, as we are novices and currently hiring the equipment from the rock climbing centre
needvert 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bonia:

- A comfortable modern harness from any of the major manufacturers (Petzl, DMM, Wild Country for example)

- A chalk bag big enough to reach into, and a bag of chalk

- A tight but comfortable pair of climbing shoes

Ought to be a good a start.
 Howard J 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bonia:

I'd add a belay device to that.

Join your local climbing club and you'll be able to climb with more experienced climbers who have their own gear, and gradually build up your own rack as you gain experience.
 climbwhenready 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bonia:

> Hi guys, me and a friend have recently took up rock climbing as a hobby.

> I would like some advice on gear would be best suited to us, as we are novices and currently hiring the equipment from the rock climbing centre

* Shoes - should be comfortable, but your feet shouldn't slosh around in them
* Chalk bag - whatever (and a chalk ball to go in it!)
* Harness - make sure you try hanging in it before buying it, it should be comfortable. 4 gear loops is standard, and in my opinion is the minimum if you're going to do trad in the future. For indoors/sport, you can get away with fewer!
* Belay device (with suitable karabiner) - lots available. Something you may not have come across in the centre are belay devices with a "high friction mode" eg. Black Diamond ATC XP or Petzl Reverso 4. The karabiner can be any full-strength locking HMS, or something like the DMM Belay Master 2 which can't rotate by accident to be side-loaded, and also can't accidentally unscrew if the break rope runs over the collar. These are just options, though.

If you post where you are, I'm sure local climbers to the area will be able to suggest good shops who can give trustworthy advice and help you without wasting your money.
Bonia 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bonia:

I'm from Wolverhampton
 alooker 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bonia:

comfy harness, belay device, HMS carabiner and some shoes.

If you can only buy one of these to start with, go with the shoes. Make sure you go to a good shop where you can try a few pairs on.
In reply to Bonia:

Consider joining a club. They can offer lifetimes of experience and when your mate is ill/withgirlfriend/working you'll have others to go with!
 Firestarter 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bonia:

http://bouldersuk.com/climbing-shop/climbing-starter-kits

Plenty of shops do starter kits, as do manufacturers. I've put the link above in to give you an idea (and because I've had really good service from them in the past). You could also see what Cotswold, Wild Country and DMM have. Google climbing starter kits and take it from there!

Good luck.
 Stone Idle 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bonia:

Chalk? For a novice? Really?

Save your brass and go for the harness, shoes and belay plate - and if you like your skull consider a helmet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...