UKC

The infectious TdF atmosphere - all very exciting :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 04 Jul 2014
I've just popped into Skipton and there are cyclists *everywhere*! Club jerseys from across the UK and abroad, and loads of other people clearly here from out of town too.

Even the rain that's trying to fall can't dampen spirits round here, it seems. Roll on the weekend!
 lummox 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

It's great isn't it ? Apart from their isn't any food in the supermarkets in Otten and Ilkley...
OP Tall Clare 04 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox:

Haha, I've just been to Morrisons in Skipton and there's a definite sense of panic buying for the impending apocalypse...
 lummox 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

No, really- I've been sent some pics. It's how I imagine North Korea looks.. but with yummy mummies in 4 x 4s..
 balmybaldwin 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I can barely sit still... I have 4 hours to wait until I can get on the rosd up!

Are you going out to see it? the atmosphere is always great
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Of course! Mr TC is a cycling obsessive - that, and it's in my local town! Wouldn't miss it for the world
 Liam M 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

My other half's office overlooks the media centre in Leeds. I've spent all week getting excitable emails about who and what have turned up. It's all brilliantly crazy.
 woolsack 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I hope you told them to pay some road tax!
 Bob 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

My wife decided to bike to work today despite the impending rain for the ride home - we live to the SW of Skipton and she works to the NE - getting back using the car would be manic.
 mbh 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

It sounds great, a bit like when the Olympic Torch went past my house, through the centre of ourtown on the first day of its trek around Britain, only better and for longer. It wasn't the cavalcade itself that created the buzz, but the sense of the Actual Olympics touching the town. All the pavements were three deep in people, a police guard outside my house, weird, and fun.
 Ramblin dave 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
Sounds great! Very jealous...

Cambridge doesn't really seem to have noticed yet, apart from a bit of bunting and a couple of decorated pubs. Although in nice weather, the baseline level of manic-ness around here is pretty high anyway.

I expect Monday will be fun, but there's no great air of anticipation as yet...
Post edited at 13:21
 TobyA 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I was listening to the 5Live Bespoke podcast last night and they said exactly that - a few signs saying expect delays due to a local sporting event but not much else! Weird when Yorkshire seems to have gone bike-bonkers, and good for them. Was watching some of the Visit Yorkshire cycling ads on youtube last night with my kids and they were even getting excited despite it being a month or more until we move there. I think they expect everyone in Yorkshire to bike everywhere now...
 Ramblin dave 04 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I guess the Cambridge thing is because
a) it's a Monday rather than a weekend
b) it's one fairly standard flat stage rather than two interesting bumpy ones including stage 1
and consequently non-local people are more likely to head up to Yorkshire for the weekend than over to Cambridge for the day. If stage three was something like Bedford to London rather than Cambridge to London I probably wouldn't bother taking the day off to go over there to watch it.

It'll probably be fun on the day, though.
 lummox 04 Jul 2014
In reply to TobyA:

The atmosphere is great. To be fair, towns like Ilkley and Otley have a long and proud cycling tradition- with lots of people riding on the road, CX and MTB. I'm afraid I'm ignorant of the tradition in E Anglia but that might partially account for it ?
 Ramblin dave 04 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox:

Cambridge has a fairly amazing rate of cycle use - something like 25% of adults in the city cycle five times a week or more, which is about eight times the national average. But that's utility biking and commuting - I don't know if there's more Serious Road Biking than anywhere else.

But I think the main thing is that if you were planning to go and watch the tour with your club (say), you'd be a lot more likely to want to go to Yorkshire for the weekend than to Cambridge for the day.
 thedatastream 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Should have binned the London stage and sent em round the Wolds / coast a few times
In reply to thedatastream:

It's a real shame they're missing out on the coast - the road between Whitby and Scarborough is lovely. Apparently there are talks about a three day Tour de Yorkshire race being set up as part of the TdF legacy.
 Liam M 04 Jul 2014
In reply to lummox: I think Cambridge / East Anglia has a decent cycle sport scene but it's predominantly time trialling up and down dual carriageways.
 lummox 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

the Tour de Yaaarkshure looks like a done deal- for the next three years at least : )
 Liam M 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> It's a real shame they're missing out on the coast - the road between Whitby and Scarborough is lovely. Apparently there are talks about a three day Tour de Yorkshire race being set up as part of the TdF legacy.

It's already pretty much confirmed. Christian Prudhomme announced ASO would be organising it at Otley Races on Wednesday.
 the sheep 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Looking forward to it very much, however getting up there this evening to base camp near Ripon may prove problematic. Going to wait until later to travel and hopefully the rush will be over??
 GrahamD 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I'm hoping things do rev up round here. I'll be in Saffron Walden as its just down the road from me and there are a couple of interestingly tight pinch points at the bottom of quite a fast hill.
In reply to Liam M:

Ah, I missed that. Great news!
Removed User 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

It's all gone a bit mental in Holmfirth. All car parks rammed up and the shops starting to run out of booze. We've got all the supplies in as we live above the village and will be effectively barricaded in until Sunday night. Still looking forward to it. Great atmosphere about the place. We're going to cycle and walk over to Holme Moss on Sunday morning. Bring it on!
 Bob 04 Jul 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

The drop off Kidstones/Cote de Cray (the first classified climb of stage 1) will be interesting to say the least, especially if it's wet. 200 pro riders just 60Km or so in to the race. A 20% initial drop to build up the speed then a series of blind corners on a road that keeps narrowing with the tightest corner at the bottom.
In reply to Tall Clare:

As a southern softy watching today's stage from the comfort of my Dartmoor home all I've got to say is this - "Yorkshire you have done this country proud" - it looks awesome on TV.

Sam
OP Tall Clare 05 Jul 2014
In reply to La Shamster:
I was in Skipton for the race passing through - it were reet grand! Roll on tomorrow! Very proud to be from Yorkshire today - we've done a good job, I reckon.
Post edited at 15:58
In reply to Tall Clare:

Abso..bloomin...lutely! The Buttertubs crowds just gave me goosebumps it was spectacular to see as good as any French mountain stage I've been to.
OP Tall Clare 05 Jul 2014
In reply to La Shamster:

I've just seen something saying there were 230,000 people in Leeds for it - ay carumba!
Tim Chappell 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Just wait till next year when Lancashire hosts the Départ. We'll show you

Great event, great day.

Mind you, I am not quite sure about the route--I think it's a shame they passed up the chance to go over the back road from Settle to Arncliffe, a personal favourite of mine. And for that matter that they didn't put Côte d' Oughtershaw into the route--surely the finest way out of the top of Wharfedale.

Also, what about Greenhow Hill? Surely the most intimidating climb on tarmac in the whole of Yorkshire--1000 ft straight up from the bridge over the Nidd. And imagine getting the chance to do it with no car up your backside...
In reply to Tall Clare:

What an anti climax that was. I waited five hours in the scorching heat to see the cyclists all whizz past in less than 10 seconds.
 Bob 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Just back from Kidstones - great atmosphere: every child that cycled up was cheered as if they were a tour rider; seeing 200 pro riders simply glide up what most of us struggle on was amazing.
 sbc_10 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Fantastic here in Harrogate.Great atmosphere. Sunshine..the works.
Lot of stretched lycra, re-hydration and blimey did they go past with a waft.
Springfield 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

We were in Ripon and the Belkin car came round the corner so fast he was almost on two wheels and almost stacked it into the crowd. What a knob
 Dave Barker 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Springfield:

Just out of interest, why do push-bikers have a forum on UKC - don't they have their own dedicated sites?
 felt 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Dave Barker:

It's UKCycling, innit. More about cycling on here these days than climbing, and indeed why not?

Me, I'm off to the village party at Great Shelford outside Cambridge on Monday and hope to see the entire peloton whoosh by in 30 secs.
 climbingpixie 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

We watched it in Otley. Sunshine, mexican waves, big crowds and a great atmosphere! For a country which often doesn't seem very cyclist friendly we've managed a reet good turnout. Hung around and watched the rest of the stage on the big screen - couldn't believe the crowds of Buttertubs and Kidstones!
 malk 05 Jul 2014
In reply to felt:
don't forget UKCPhotos- hope you've been practising your panning technique..
Post edited at 20:26
 sarahjk 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Buttertubs was totally brilliant, we rode in from Ingleton, hauled panniers full of wine, bagets, brie, croissants, strawberries and chocolate up there. Mega picnic, fabulous day out.
 Chris the Tall 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> What an anti climax that was. I waited five hours in the scorching heat to see the cyclists all whizz past in less than 10 seconds.

They do go a bit fast don't they - well apart from Jens who was struggling a bit by the time he reached us on Grinton Moor. And it wasn't scorching up there either - a tad nippy it were.

But I had a cracking ride from Richmond - 32 miles, mostly off road, stunning scenery and remarkably quiet most of the way. In fact I didn't think that there were that many people on Grinton moor until they all started to walk down the hill.

Great atmosphere though
altirando 05 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Ah but how sad Wiggins was not there at the start by Kate and Will. I thought Brailsford was sounding very defensive in his tv interview. But yes, quite amazing crowds, makes me start looking at the prices of carbon fibre frame bikes and dreaming of dancing on the pedals again ......
 Timmd 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

A 'self referentially Yorkshire' link.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesevilla/cambridge-vs-yorkshire?bffbuk

Got to see them flying round a corner in the centre of Sheffield.

It made me smile how few people bought official Tour umbrellas and signs for £10 when the van came along, the poor driver sounded a little perturbed. Lots of enthusiasm for the actual riders though. ()

Timmd 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
^^^That's not the play up the stereotype, he genuinely did seem perturbed for a few moments.
Post edited at 20:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...