UKC

Taking boots to the Dolomites?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

I'm off to the Dolomites at the end of the month. Planning on mainly doing rock routes.

Is it worth taking a pair of lightweight boots (Sportiva Trango or similar) out there with me or will I be absolutely fine in trainers for most approaches/descents.

Is it a good idea to take boots, axe and crampons for the glacier at the top of the Marmolada S Face?

Cheers,

Tom
 Wft 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Bump

in addition to the above, hows the snow level out there?

alpinist63 07 Jul 2014

for nearly all rock routes, approach shoes are ok. descending from the marmolada is no problem, the glacier isn't steep and the snow soft in the afternoon, so also doable in approach shoes, without axe & crampons. though it's worth having a good approach shoe with sticky rubber in which you can (down)climb safely grade 2 and 3
 kingjam 07 Jul 2014

I think it really depends on what routes you are doing . I was there two weeks ago and there is still some snow about high up (tofana ) , but some of it may have gone .

If your heart is set up routes which are high (over 2500m) and the descents are to the north boots might be an idea . Also worth checking at the webcams
Anymore thoughts? Cheers, T
 Webster 08 Jul 2014

always sensible taking boots to the mountains...im sure the mountain rescue love picking people up in approach shoes with broken ankles!
 jezb1 08 Jul 2014

I took boots, to the Sella area, and didn't wear them once... I even bought the boots especially for the trip.
 Trevers 08 Jul 2014

I'm out here right now.

Definitely take boots, crampons and an axe. We had a near epic descending from the Sella Group on Saturday (down a south facing gully). Went into the guide's office in Corvara today... Civetta is out of bounds to most, Marmolada is plastered and there's snow forecast about 2500m tonight.
 Pete Graham 09 Jul 2014

Went down the marmolada about 2 weeks ago. Lots of snow so fine in trainers. Reckon tevers and plastic bags would be ok too and even if it was ice it's so low angle that you would manage. Ciavetta had a snow slope at the bottom but was also piss wet. You could probably use a couple of rocks to get up it though I reckon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...