UKC

Using washing up liquid as washing machine detergent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 07 Jul 2014
I have just had to this due to unforseen crisis, not seen the results yet. Any advice if this becomes neccessary. Do you use more of the washing up liquid than you would detergent, or less, Does it even work and what are the consequences?
In reply to Al Evans:

Mmmmm

When I've put washing up liquid into my dishwasher when I ran out of dishwasher tablets, I was greeted by a room filled with bubbles.
Quite funny, Like something out of the fun house.
OP Al Evans 07 Jul 2014
In reply to MGC:

Well I put about half of what I would for detergent and all seems well at the moment, I was sort of worried that the rinse might not be as thorough.
 JoshOvki 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Can you take pictures if it starts to spew out bubbles?!
In reply to Al Evans:

Why not wash in the sink?
In reply to Al Evans:

Probably too mild for proper cleaning. Will leave a residue in the machine which will take time to get out (use your washing powder with an empty drum to clean the machine up again).

Using more to get the cleaning will result in a similar bubble situation as mentioned.
 Glyno 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I think 3 cup-fulls would be the minimum requirement
needvert 07 Jul 2014
In reply to MGC:

First time I tried that happened too. Cutting down the amount I used stopped that problem.

On the washing machine side, it seems using top loader detergent in a front loader seems to result in too many bubbles.

I'd be happy to use washing up detergent in a top loader.

On a related note, not knowing what detergent would do to the dwr on pertex endurance I just washed my jacket without detergent and it came out very clean.
 Timmd 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
I've had it work alright for me, the clothes came out clean and they didn't smell.

If it worked on a bacterial level I don't know, but apparently 40 degrees isn't hot enough from that point of view.
Post edited at 16:25
 deepstar 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Back in the 70's I used to work in a university kitchen where they had a dishwasher that was the size if a family car,it was fed by conveyer belt and had a syringe like device for slowly feeding in the special detergent.My pal and me decided it would be fun to put a cupful of said detergent onto the conveyer belt and see what happened,well the results exceeded expectations with the whole machine looking like something from Viz Comics with vast cushions of foam emerging from every orifice,we quickly decided that blaming the students was the best option.
 Timmd 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> If it worked on a bacterial level I don't know, but apparently 40 degrees isn't hot enough from that point of view.

Potentially isn't...
 Firestarter 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I put handwash-only powder into the machine at work once cos we had nothing else. 30 mins in, bubbles everywhere, big bang, tripped the rcd for the whole building. £500 later....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...