UKC

Weekend car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ally Smith 07 Jul 2014

Your suggestions please - I'm think £5-6k on a ~10 year old rear wheel drive weekend play thing. Ideally should have a boot that can take 2 rucksacks/rope bags too. I'd prefer a torguer 6-pot than a hyperactive turbo-charged 4-pot

Things I've considered so far - anyone have experience of these:

- Nissan 350Z 3.0 V6 - handling has been described to me as right pedal oversteer, middle pedal understeer

- Porsche Boxster 2.7 flat-6 - the predictable option - had fun keeping up with one of these on the way to Ravens Tor over the weekend - Boot space killed by being a soft top?

- Chrysler Crossfire 3.0 V6 - leftfield option - Merc SLK in disguise, so the fundamental should be alright, but has the Chrysler input made it better or worse!?!

Anything else i should be thinking about?
Post edited at 15:22
 TMM 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

What a fun conundrum to have.

The Crossfire is based on the Mk1 SLK which was not known for it's sporting prowess, more of a cruiser than a 'B' road blaster.

How about a Porsche 968? 3l straight 4. Lots of space and will no longer depreciate in value if well maintained. Rarity value compared to a Boxster.

Boxster is a default choice for a good reason. Get a later car with a glass screen.

Alfa GT or Brera? Shame about the FWD but the V6 looks and sounds glorious.

RX8 for some Wankel rotary antics? Crazy cheap now and headache thinking about the rotor tips. Economy is poor but that is offset by the purchase price.

Merc CLK? Perhaps too civilised for weekend car.

I think I would be looking at a 968 or even taking a punt on a 928 (gulp!).

Mike Stretford 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith: I once had a go in a BMW 325 Sport, which was nice. I think it ticks your boxes.

MaranaF 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

This is a joke, right?
 Sir Chasm 07 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> This is a joke, right?

I think so. I mean, who would choose a Chrysler?
 MaranaF 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I have never spent more than £1,500 on my wheels and then its always a van, preferably 4x4, diesel, slow, reliable... then spend the rest on time off work so I can park high in the mountains and climb.

Each to their own?
 1poundSOCKS 07 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

This is a joke, right?
 MaranaF 07 Jul 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

some people think its irresponsible of me... not having a mortgage or a house or a BMW 325 in the drive I also dont have but no one has ever suggested its a joke
 1poundSOCKS 07 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

You could hardly wait to mention that either, could you?
 Mike Stretford 07 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> Each to their own?

Yeah. Climbing and motors are not mutually exclusive interests... I believe Jerry Moffat liked his fast cars.
 TMM 07 Jul 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

> I have never spent more than £1,500 on my wheels and then its always a van, preferably 4x4, diesel, slow, reliable... then spend the rest on time off work so I can park high in the mountains and climb.

> Each to their own?

'Each to their own'. Well said. So why post?
 MaranaF 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Damn right... the wife just reminded me that the gear in the van is probably worth [or at least cost] £5-6k...
 MaranaF 07 Jul 2014
In reply to TMM:

> 'Each to their own'. Well said. So why post?

I enjoy the conundrum, just from a different perspective.
 mattrm 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

What about a Lotus Elise? Might be a bit over budget however.

Also and I know they have a bad rep, but they're nice cars, you should be able to get a really tidy MX-5 for that kind of money.

If I had the money to blot on a 'fun' car, I'd be going for Peugot 205 GTI (or a Rallye). Lots of space inside then and they're old enough that you can work on yourself.
 TMM 07 Jul 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Elise has the hallmarks of a weekend car but might rely on the OP to be focussed on summer sport climbing given the paucity of storage.

If an Elise is ever and option isn't the VX220 the one to go for inverse badge snobbery points?

randomsabreur 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

MR2. A bit on the old side but rear boot would be adequate. Can also put stuff in front boot and behind seats. Mark 2 rather then mk 3 convertible. ..

Good fun to drive but only horribly twitchy if there's oil or clutch fluid on the road. Imported Turbos much faster than uk market n/as but might be getting too old. Change from 5k leaving more money of fun and fuel.

Have run one for about 7 years now. Generally reliable compared with newer cars and not horrendous in bad weather. Just need to watch ground clearance.
 The New NickB 07 Jul 2014
In reply to TMM:

I have friends who have owned both an Elise and a VX220, I seem to remember the Vauxhall was even less practical than the Lotus.

TVR?
Removed User 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

Porsche 968 or BMW. Both fantastic and BMWs have the added advantage of eliciting disapproval from plonkers. You will also enjoy inventing different responses to the phrase 'I wouldn't like to be you when it snows.'
 TMM 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

Corrado VR6 Storm?
 Goucho 07 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
> TVR?

Not if he wants to actually get somewhere?
Post edited at 19:52
 TMM 07 Jul 2014
In reply to TMM:

Renault Alpine A610?
 IMA 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Goucho:

pfft TVR is the perfect weekend car, you can tinker and occasionally drive. Probably out of budget for one that is able to turn over more than 50% of the time.

Honda s2000? doesn't look as good as some but runs well and is damn fun. Space may be an issue
 George Fisher 07 Jul 2014
In reply to TMM:

I used to really want a VR6 storm, until I drove one.

Thirsty, not actually very quick, handling ruined by the monstrously heavy engine. Better sticking to a mk11 golf.

968 is a good call I think.

350z is a bit fat, 225 TT was better. (not by a lot, but better)
 Oli 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

Was going to suggest a Z3M, but on looking at prices they appear to be more expensive than I thought.

Besides, you don't really need a boot for sport climbing so a 7 of some sort is the logical choice!
 Oli 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

Or a S2000 looks to be just about in budget.
In reply to Oli:

Honda s2000 a good shout great fun! bombproof engine
And its quick not bad on fuel firm ride not the most comfortable
On long journeys. Ive also owned an Rx8 Fantastic Car if you get a good one and that's a BIG IF! 20mpgs at best but a lovely smooth drive its quick but not fast cheap to buy but really need to do your homework and a little luck
I had one for 3 years as a weekend car 231 model loved it just got fed up constantly sticking £30 in it for 75 miles
In reply to Ally Smith: This looks like a fun weekend car for £4.5k and far cooler than many mentioned above (imo)although not much storage

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/32/speedwell%20special/
 TMM 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

What about a Z4?
 Tall Clare 08 Jul 2014
In reply to TMM:

My stepmother-in-law has an RX8 and whilst it's apparently great fun to drive, as someone else has mentioned the MPG is truly appalling, and the road tax is astronomical for what it is.
 winhill 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> This looks like a fun weekend car for £4.5k and far cooler than many mentioned above (imo)although not much storage

That looks suspiciously like a standard locost kit with a marina engine in it.
 Owen W-G 08 Jul 2014
In reply to winhill:

Has no one suggested Skoda Octavia yet?
M0nkey 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

I had this dilemma a few years ago and test drove all the cars the OP has mentioned along with a few others (BMW Z4, SLK and some I can't remember). If you are looking for a "drivers car" then of the list you have I'd say go for the Nissan. The porsche feels ungainly and out of breath. The figures they quote for performance on the porsche are outright lies.

The Nissan is a bit of a handful as you say but I'd guess you grow into a driving style that suits.

To put a cat amongst the pigeons however, we ended up with an S2000, which is a real driving car. 50/50 weight distribution, extremely stiff chassis, best normally aspirated engine ever put in a car, good brakes, oh, and a 9000rpm redline. As soon as I drove it I was hooked.
 jkarran 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:
> - Nissan 350Z 3.0 V6 - handling has been described to me as right pedal oversteer, middle pedal understeer

About right though I don't recall much understeer. Very solid and rapid, possibly a little dull. I'd try one, see if you like it.

> - Porsche Boxster 2.7 flat-6 - the predictable option - had fun keeping up with one of these on the way to Ravens Tor over the weekend - Boot space killed by being a soft top?

You might just get an S toward the upper end of your budget. Worth a look as the 2.7 feels a little less than muscular though I'm sure you could carry a lot of speed into bends with it but that's no fun on the open road.

> - Chrysler Crossfire 3.0 V6 - leftfield option - Merc SLK in disguise, so the fundamental should be alright, but has the Chrysler input made it better or worse!?!

I don't like the look of them but if you do then give it a go. I know the SLK has a lardy reputation but having chased one across some Portuguese mountains recently I'm a lot more impressed with the SLK than I ever was. It's not a nippy little sportscar but it works well and can be driven surprisingly hard.

Obviously as a BMW fan I'm going to advocate a Z, the 3L Z3 is probably the cream of the crop in that price bracket and it has normal running costs unlike mine. 840Ci is worth a look too, they're mostly auto but on that engine it doesn't matter.

V6 GTV are cheap as chips and still feel quite special inside. It's FWD but you'd barely know or care, they're lovely to drive and there's the Russian roulette trill of Alfa ownership. Fiat Coupe is in the same category, cheap, fast and surprisingly nice.

What about a 7? Get a caged one with a roof box or put pannier boxes on the front behind the wheels (it works) and a luggage rack on the back. Loads of options in that price bracket from quite civilized to tear-your-face-off mental.

MX5 is much better than it's given credit for, talk Brewer into letting you have a spin in his, it's lovely if you spin the engine round to the redline and if I'm honest it's much nicer to drive than my brute.

XKR is ludicrously cheap for what you get and for occasional use you could afford the fuel too.

Can you get a BMW 130 convertible for that sort of money? I know you can get the 130i saloon for buttons. That'd be quick and nice plus the only reason it's cheap is because there's an equally good diesel available which doesn't matter if you're not commuting in it.

RX7 if you're feeling brave, it'd have to be turbo though and it's definitely going against your big 6pot stipulation. or a MK2 MR2 maybe, the MK1 is better but rare and old, the MK3 better still but it has no boot space at all. Does the CRX DelSol have any boot space?

S2000 is manic. Sort of fun for *a* weekend but not every weekend. Technically impressive but I wouldn't buy one.

Or if you can keep it under cover what about something a little more vintage (not something I know anything about)?

jk
Post edited at 09:54
 robal 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

ooh fun subject:

supra http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404153342120/sort/default/...

its a N/A version so not too stressed

a 350Z is a fine thing to drive, possibly the best thing I've driven...

you could go a bit left field and look at a corvette stingray or a pontiac firebird, both of which will be pigs when it comes to a corner but the noise and the straight line speed will be immense!
 knighty 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

Suzuki SV 650 plus a rucksack. That'll see you well within budget although it only has a 1/3rd of the cylinders you specified...

Great fun
 misterb 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

I bought a mk1 tt coupe a while ago and for the money you have you could get the v6 3.2, admittedly not rear wheel but they drive quite nicely and go so well in the twistys.
Coupe has the advantage of having a massive boot when the seats are down, i got my bike and camping and climbing gear for two people in it the other day.
 Blue Straggler 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:
FWD but maybe you can get a mint, cherished MG ZT V6 at that price (or if you are feeling insane, try to find the RWD 260 with the Mustang engine )

I have no experience of these cars, I have a "boring" diesel Zt-T which has cost me a bit more in running costs over the last year than I had hoped for....but I do like it!

edit - seems you can get these for buttons, which suggests that they are well beneath your radar with the budget at your disposal!
e.g. http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=187163

Anyway, don't mind me.

I might be one of the few people that thinks the Crossfire looks nice (aesthetically) so what do I know?
Post edited at 13:59
OP Ally Smith 08 Jul 2014

Thanks for all the suggestions - time to do some scouring of autotader for local cars to test drive.

In reply to knighty: I have repeatedly failed the maturity check to get a bike licence - if i was to ride a motorbike in the same way i ride a mtn bike i'd not last very long!
 Blue Straggler 08 Jul 2014

Oh there are in fact a few RWD V8s available!

e.g.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=180857

24mpg mixed driving if you are lucky. Generally even on a "run" you may see a variation between 22 - 27mpg.
17-18mpg around town
OP Ally Smith 08 Jul 2014
In reply to misterb:

An interesting suggestion - Are all 3.2 V6 mk1 TT's 4-wheel drive?
myth 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

TVR of some sorts. Though might be a bit above your budget.
M0nkey 08 Jul 2014
In reply to jkarran:

> What about a 7? Get a caged one with a roof box or put pannier boxes on the front behind the wheels (it works) and a luggage rack on the back. Loads of options in that price bracket from quite civilized to tear-your-face-off mental.

> S2000 is manic. Sort of fun for *a* weekend but not every weekend. Technically impressive but I wouldn't buy one.

I agreed with most of what jkarran said except the contradiction between these two pieces of advice. My s2000 can be a bit manic (half the fun surely?) but the 7 I built a few years back (widebody westfield with a rebuilt and modified xflow engine) was completely manic. And that was the most tame 7 I've driven. They are all madder than a box of frogs. Brilliant, yes, but also mad. Also bear in mind with a 7 that you need to be handy with a spanner because wee niggles will constantly present themselves.
 jkarran 08 Jul 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

> I agreed with most of what jkarran said except the contradiction between these two pieces of advice. My s2000 can be a bit manic (half the fun surely?) but the 7 I built a few years back (widebody westfield with a rebuilt and modified xflow engine) was completely manic. And that was the most tame 7 I've driven. They are all madder than a box of frogs. Brilliant, yes, but also mad. Also bear in mind with a 7 that you need to be handy with a spanner because wee niggles will constantly present themselves.

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. I have one too (Striker) with a 1000cc bike motor, it's pretty daft but then it's supposed to be, it's got a number plate and lights but that's all, you'd barely call it a road car whereas an S2000 is. I'm honestly not sure why I'm quite so against the S2000, it's clearly brilliant and exciting but for me at least it's just too much, too harsh, too much grip then too little warning that you're running out of it. It's just a taste thing I guess.

I threw the 7 in there because if you like cars you should really have one at some point and to point out they needn't be totally impractical if you're not so concerned about the looks. I know it doesn't fit the brief but I know Ally knows that too

jk
 Oli 08 Jul 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Definitely agree about the 7 being a good but not necessarily obvious choice. Like you I've got a BEC with pretty much nothing practical, but a 7 with a car engine, full screen, heater etc suddenly becomes a much more usable prospect.

Ally, has your new house got a garage?
 Andy Farnell 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith: left field, but could you get the Holden/vauxhall VXR B4 for around the same money? Pace, rwd and space for gear.

Andy F

OP Ally Smith 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Oli:

Yes - new house has a garage, but that will be used for bikes, boats and bouldering mat storage. Who ever thought that a garage should be for keeping rain off cars? Stupid, eh?

I'm taking a Mk1 TT Quattro 3.2 DSG for a test drive later - flappy paddles and a moderately practical boot appeal, as well as the aesthetics; a nice curvy bum
 TMM 31 Jul 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

What did you get in the end?
OP Ally Smith 31 Jul 2014
In reply to TMM:

Currently working my way through test driving a few options:

- 180PS 1.8L Audi TT (Mk1) - sluggardly and lack of steering feedback
- 250PS 3.2L Audi TT (Mk1) - good pace, but Quattro system definitely takes a bit away from the driving experience. Fun though.
- I'd like to try out the Audi TT quattro sport model - lighter and more powerful than the 3.2L so should feel better in the bends. TT is a surprisingly useful shape too - room for a pad in the boot and bags onthe backseat.
- 2.0L Mazda MX-5 (mk3) - an absolute riot when spun up to >5000rpm, but engine really needs working hard and in the one i drove, it had a strange (torque steer?) twicth when changing gears. Micro boot.
- Gave up on the Crossfire idea when i sat in one.
- Lusted after a GT86 after sitting in one, but it's out of budget
wildirishman 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

Subaru Imprezza? Four wheel drive, great fun, space for some gear......
 jkarran 01 Aug 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

> - 2.0L Mazda MX-5 (mk3) - an absolute riot when spun up to >5000rpm, but engine really needs working hard and in the one i drove, it had a strange (torque steer?) twicth when changing gears. Micro boot.

It's probably just the engine reaction, it causes a small weight transfer, my Z3 does it too. It's not unusual for longitudinal front-rear cars but it shouldn't be distracting.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...