UKC

We continue....!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gra B 07 Jul 2014
So...650b this, 29er that...but would anybody now buy a 26" MTB?

Would the performance of a 650b over a 26" change dependant on the size of the rider?

How Would the performance of A small framed bike on 26" wheels differ to that of a large framed bike on 650b? Would it be the same?
 Timmd 07 Jul 2014
In reply to Gra B:
From magazines I gather 26'' wheels are a bit faster to accelerate and nippier feeling, but when timed scientifically, 26'' are consistently slowest, with 650b and 29'' being a near as dammit equal depending on the terrain, with 650b wheels often feeling more 'normal' after 29''.

I still just ride my 26'' Cotic Soul, but there's a 650b Merida full sus I have in mind for next year's sales when the new stock comes in. I'd like to have a test ride first.
Post edited at 22:43
In reply to Gra B:
I have bought a 26" Cube attention this year (Doh!)

I don't get on with the bike at all, was drawn in by the cracking full deore groupset and rockshox suspension for £550. I can't ride it for toffee.
Post edited at 12:59
 Richard Carter 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Gra B:

I've recently fixed (/pimped) up my old 26er so I won't hear a bad word against them :-P

http://www.vataxaccountancy.co.uk/bike1s.JPG

Just waiting for some shiny new pedals to turn up, hence the awful flats.

Alun 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Gra B:
> So...650b this, 29er that...but would anybody now buy a 26" MTB?

Yes, on the principal that I've been riding them for the last 20 years and had quite a bit of fun in that time. Larger wheels are great, 29" is here to stay (especially for XC) and I think 650 will eventually take over from 26" for DH and enduro. But 26" is still perfectly fine.

> Would the performance of a 650b over a 26" change dependant on the size of the rider?

Yes, marginally. A small rider with a small frame will find the smaller wheels easier to manouvre. There isn't *that* much difference between 26" and 650b though.

> How Would the performance of A small framed bike on 26" wheels differ to that of a large framed bike on 650b? Would it be the same?

No, they are at opposing ends of the scale, I'm not sure why you would think they would be the same. A small frame with 26" wheels will be nippier, easier to flick and turn, and marginally faster to accelerate. A large frame with 650 wheels will roll better when up to speed, and potentially be a bit comfier.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...