UKC

Fuji X-E1 RAW file conversion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IPPurewater 08 Jul 2014
I'm considering buying an X-E1 but don't really want to have to upgrade my processing software unless absolutely necessary.

Is it possible to convert a Fuji RAW file to DNG then process it in Adobe Lightroom v 3.6 and still get good results ?

Would anyone care to send me a RAW file (preferably a landscape) to have a play with ?

Cheers

IPP
 franksnb 08 Jul 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

apparently the x-trans sensor does weird things with green. people recommend photo ninja over lightroom for converting raws for that particular sensor.

http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

I like the look of the XE1 you can get one for £200 on ebay leaving plent of cash for a nice lens.
OP IPPurewater 08 Jul 2014
In reply to franksnb:

Thanks for that franksnb.

I've found some samples, though not landscapes and converted them to DNG via the latest converter from Adobe. I can then process them in my old version of Lightroom and they look quite good. None of the samples have much green in them though.
 franksnb 08 Jul 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

I downloaded photo ninja to see what its like, you're not missing out. enjoy your new toy!
 Solaris 08 Jul 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

X-E1 jpegs are excellent and I've been very pleased with what I can get from them with Lr5. His post may now be out of date, but at least one pro on here has found it hard to emulate the quality of the X-E1's jpegs from RAW files. Can't remember what software he was using.

I've been pretty happy with the way Lr5 handles Fuji jpegs but there were problems when the camera first came out, so why not see if you can now download their newer converter files for Lr 3.6?
 london_huddy 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Solaris:

I'll second the jpgs from the x-e1. I'll drop into RAW on occasion but it's not easy to match the in camera jpg engine!

I use LR5, for what it's worth.
 Solaris 08 Jul 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

Cheers! You'll be pleased to know that you are partly responsible for me owning the best camera I've ever had the pleasure to use - with the possible exception of my first one: a Rollei B35!
 london_huddy 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Solaris:

Aw, shucks - you're very welcome.

It's an issue for another threat, but I've just sold all of my canon wedding, fashion and portrait kit and have put almost everything (wildlife aside) on Fuji.

Removed User 09 Jul 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

Why do you need to convert from RAW in the first place? Lightroom supports RAW files for the X-E1.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/camera-raw.html

Additionally if you simply must process via DNG you can convert directly from RAW to DNG within Lightroom itself.
 PPP 09 Jul 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

You might need to upgrade Adobe Lightroom, though you can try these RAW file samples:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_x_e1_review/sample_images/
OP IPPurewater 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks for your replies Gents.

exo - Perhaps I don't need to use RAW as the jpgs are so good. However the version of Lightroom I have does not support the Fuji RAF format.
OP IPPurewater 09 Jul 2014
In reply to PPP:

Thanks for the link PPP.
 PPP 09 Jul 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

Or you can shoot RAW+JPEG and then if you need RAW, use a free DNG converter from Adobe: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html . Or indeed, any other RAW converter (I guess Fuji has something to offer as well).

In past 4 years, apart from film/phone photos, I always shoot to RAW only.
Removed User 09 Jul 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:
You could always update to the latest version? If you use it a lot it'd definitely be worth it. Just pirate it if you're not wanting to pay for the same software twice.

As PPP said, I shoot RAW only as well. I use RawTherapee for my editing, cause I can't stand Lightroom. (and RT is free and saves having to bother with the installation of LR).

http://rawtherapee.com/
Post edited at 10:57
 Solaris 09 Jul 2014

> Just pirate it if you're not wanting to pay for the same software twice.

Sorry, but it's pirating that has led to the inconvenience and expense of Adobe Cloud...
Removed User 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Solaris:

> Adobe Cloud

If you think renting software is an acceptable business model.

Just passing my opinion on to the OP, if you don't like downloading things I'm certainly not suggesting you do so. Just planting the seed of corruption
 Solaris 09 Jul 2014

Not sure I've understood you.

My thought was that if people pay good money to develop something - a tent, a set of wedding photographs, or a piece of music, say - it's reasonable for them to charge me to possess the item. It's not reasonable for me to think that I'm entitled to possess that item without paying.

So it's understandable if the creators of the item find ways - which may well be inconvenient to me but not to them - to ensure that I can't have it without paying for it.

Not forgetting, Property is Theft!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...