UKC

Garage Racking / Shelving Systems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bootsy 08 Jul 2014
A question for the good people of UKC. I have recently had constructed a concrete garage which is all well and good but is currently devoid of any storage. With the use of some brackets and some wooden batons I will, within reason, be able to attach what I like to the walls. Nothing can be hung from the ceiling and in any case there's not that much spare headroom and it's an up-and-over door.

I need to store a motorbike, 2 bicycles, hand tools, miscellaneous gardening equipment (although this may get its own shed in time), skis, the inevitable household 'bric-a-brac' and such of my climbing kit as it's appropriate to store in a detached and currently unheated (although that may change by Winter) out-building.

I wondered if any of you had experience of good shelving / racking solutions that were flexible, made best use of space and didn't cost the earth? Seems even the most basic tiered metal shelving at B&Q etc is the thick end of GBP100 before you've started and I'm sure there must be something better out there.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.
 GwilymR 08 Jul 2014
 marsbar 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Bootsy:

Ebay is a good place to start IMHO.
 Ridge 08 Jul 2014
 JLS 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Bootsy:
I recently bought 4 packs of these...

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/storage-shelving/heavy-duty-storage-shelving/R...

...seem pretty sturdy and decent value. Each set took about 30min. to assemble, rubber mallet worth weight in gold. Occasionally a connection would need a bit of prising with a big screw driver but basically I think they're great.
Post edited at 00:39
OP Bootsy 10 Jul 2014
In reply to Bootsy:

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

GwilymR / Ridge - yup, something a bit more utilitarian had crossed my mind. I guess this has the advantage of being fully flexible...and cheap!

Marsbar - I'm a great fan of eBay, but I guess I was wondering what others had done specifically that had worked for them. If it's on eBay it suggests someone might want rid of it because it hasn't! Perhaps I could look for 'inspiration' there since I am certain I am not the first to have had the same requirement.

JLS - I did see the Raxa ones in B&Q and wondered about them. Reassuring to hear they they are as sturdy as they claim to be. I had thought perhaps teaming them up with some plastic storage boxes might be the way to go.

If there are any others out there with bright ideas that fit the remit above then I would be interested to hear them.

Cheers
 marsbar 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Bootsy:
I have some of the plastic ones, they are fine. I also have various odd pieces like old pigeon holes along one wall which are really great for smaller stuff. Old but solid bedroom or office furniture can be very useful if you want drawers or smaller shelves.

My dad has a row of old kitchen cupboards that are also useful.
Post edited at 07:35
 JDC 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Bootsy:

Check out Big Dug - good racking systems and quick delivery. Highly recommended http://www.bigdug.co.uk/

wilkie14c 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Bootsy:

Old kitchen units from skips or bought cheaply

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...