UKC

Life span of a tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alphin 08 Jul 2014
I know there are many variables which can effect the life span of a tent.

If you used a tent from a well known manufacturer, possibly just for one night a year, the tent was then dried and stored in a dark and dry location between use.

How long would you expect it to last (stay waterproof) would you be happy with the 2 years manufacturers warranty for something you have spent a few £'s on.
In reply to Alphin:
I would expect a product of value to last as long as is reasonable. The law says as much - a warranty is in addition to your consumer rights; it doesn't supersede them.
Just bare in mind that you would have to prove you'd only used it as much as you did after the warranty period
Post edited at 20:30
 Luke90 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

If I'd only used it a handful of times, I'd probably feel like I'd wasted my money. I'd mostly blame myself for not making much use of it though.
 Lesdavmor 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

I have a Vango Force Ten which I bought in 1969. As far as I an aware it still works.Is there such a thing as a tent museum?
Alphin 08 Jul 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I posted this I suppose because the tent is 7 years old, used for about 10 nights in total.

The inner, poles, pegs and bags still look brand new, but the flysheet now leaks like a sieve as the taped seams and inner coating has delaminated. The manufactured says there's nothing they can do as it's out of the warranty, but the more I look at this tent it seems to be an issue even on tent just 2 years old, unfortunately this hasn't seen too much use for the problem to come to light sooner.

I have a few tents used a lot more often and older than this one which still have no issues apart from the off bent tent peg.
Alphin 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Luke90:

> If I'd only used it a handful of times, I'd probably feel like I'd wasted my money. I'd mostly blame myself for not making much use of it though.

It's a lightweight tent bought for that reason, not for comfort hence the lack of use. I have a fair choice of tents so only use this one when required.
In reply to Alphin:

I have a Vango Typhoon 300 , Had it for 8 years , still going strong.
Been through the wars.
Floods and gales in Scotland as well as Wales and local.
It just depends on how you treat them .

M
Removed User 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

Wull they sell you another flysheet and how much?
Alphin 08 Jul 2014
In reply to MGC:

Used and then dried straight after use, not sat in the back of a car for weeks. Then stored in a dark dry place.

I bought a Vaude tent at the same time, it's used regularly and still looks new, best bit it's still waterproof. than

I'd expect a tent which was looked after and not used that often to last a bit longer than 7 years!

Alphin 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Trying to find one at the moment, the tent made is no longer made and looking at the amount of people who have had problems it's proving hard to source at the moment.

We sent 2 identical tents off at the same time, same issue, similar age same response.
 pec 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

I recently parted company with an old friend/tent which at the time was over 25 years old. It had seen at least 200 nights use including at altitude and in winter storms. It had had a few repairs and was very faded so the fabric was quite weakened and prone to tear (which was why I got rid of it) but it was still completley waterproof. It predated taped seams so they couldn't delaminate but I'd sealed them with silicone so they were watertight.
needvert 09 Jul 2014
I'd be very disappointed if happened. 7 years isn't all that long.
 Noelle 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

I wonder if the people with delaminating issues have bought the same model/brand. I had mine about 5 years and exactly the same thing happened.

I bought a 'nice' tent with my first ever paycheck in a professional job as a sort of reward. I didn't really need a technical tent, but it was nice to have and I regarded it as an investment. I took good care of it, used it a couple of times per year, dried and cleaned it before storing, etc. Took it out of the cupboard one year and the flysheet had delaminated.

I've since bought a cheapish Vango, had it for about the same timespan and usage, with no problems.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

You don't say who the manufacturer is. But I stopped buying a well known make of tent having used them for decades, when the latest one started leaking after 3 years, and I was told by t****n*** that it was normal wear and tear.
 Siward 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

My old early 90s phoenix tent is still watertight, still gets used but, like yours, only once in a while over the last 25 odd years.
It's made of fairly heavyweight, by modern standards, PU nylon.
cb294 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Siward:

Still using my 1998 Keron3. Used around three weeks per year, from the Med to the arctic, winter and summer. Fly reproofed once, floor never.

Discarded my Jack Wolfskin Time Tunnel after > 20 years when all zippers broke. Fly and floor still OK, and poles in almost perfect shape.

Wouldn´t buy a current JW tent, though, the quality of the new ones is crap.

CB
 Pyreneenemec 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

I'm still using my Ultimate Tramp 1, bought in 1980.

I've reproofed the seams a few times and there are a couple of cuts on the floor of the inner, but otherwise it's as good as when it was new.

It's incredibly stable, thanks to the 'A' pole at the front. Fly pitches first, which keeps things dry in bad conditions. Great, fly-only for a light-weight bivvy.

Best of all - MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN !
 paul wood 14 Jul 2014

Terra Novas customer care is appalling, in my view, despite their website's claims of "materials guaranteed for life"

They flatly refuse to acknowledge blatant material defects.

I'll not be buying another of their over priced tents.
 peebles boy 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

Bought a Terra Nova Quasar in 2000. First fly sheet delaminated after two years or regular but careful use. Was replaced without any questions straight away. A further eight years of fairly average use (maybe three-four weeks a year) and the poles started breaking. Replaced with non-manufacturer pole sections, due to high cost of manufacturer replacement ones. Still waterproof, still working well, no complaints at all.
 TMM 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

> I'm still using my Ultimate Tramp 1, bought in 1980.

There's one for sale on eBay at the moment if you want another or need some spares.

Dorq 14 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:

> Terra Novas customer care is appalling, in my view, despite their website's claims of "materials guaranteed for life"

> They flatly refuse to acknowledge blatant material defects.

> I'll not be buying another of their over priced tents.

Exactly my experience and decision.
 winhill 14 Jul 2014
In reply to paul wood:

> Terra Novas customer care is appalling, in my view, despite their website's claims of "materials guaranteed for life"

I've found them very good, happy for you to go in and discuss stuff too.

I wonder if they've found more issues with delamination with silnylon?

ericinbristol 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

I am still using my wonderful Moss Olympic tent which I bought in 1986. Astounding durability and a great design. I love that tent.
 lost1977 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

after more than 10 yrs my ultra quasar is starting to show signs of wear on the ground sheet when i hold it up to the light and the fly sheet is extremely faded due to more than a month at high altitude. might look at retiring it from more extreme use but will probably use it for uk use for several more years
 iccle_bully 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

We have 2 vango tents, both have had a lot of use and abuse over the years. The small 2 man one is getting on for 40 years old and is still water tight and has only had one repair by the zip. The larger 5 man one is about 30 years old and we had a new fly sheet made for it after it became brittle and had a run in with a child on a bike (oops!).

Now got 2 newer vango tents and have no complaints with either of them but still regularly use the old ones when weight isn't an issue.
 Pyreneenemec 15 Jul 2014
In reply to TMM:

> There's one for sale on eBay at the moment if you want another or need some spares.

Thanks ! I had a look and there were in fact two Ultimate tents on offer; both of which had received bids !
Alpjay 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

Hopefully I can come at this from a manufacturer's point of view and help out.

In terms of the lifespan of a tent - we believe it should last you as long as you need it, but as a company it is hard to keep a 'lifetime' warranty.

For example in Alphin's case, you may have only used it 10 times in seven years, and say you have looked after it perfectly, but as a company it is hard to differentiate between the good guys like yourself and customers who want something for free.

Taping is hard to give a warranty - moisture, varying temperature, leaving wet gear inside and if it is stored rolled or stuffed, or folded - all of these can have an impact and no one can say which way to store it is best.

At Alpkit we offer our Alpine Bond - but our warranty is more of a conversation with the customer, if we had your case, we would most likely ask for you to post the flysheet back to us at your cost (although with 2nd class, cheap as post) it could cost a couple of quid. We would then fix it in house for free or if we had to send it off to be repaired we would subsidise it so it was at a very low cost - then we would post it back to you for free. Each case is individual and we try to do what is best for both parties involved.

It may be worth checking out a local repair shop or repairing the seams yourself with Stormsure seam seal or their taping.
 Gerry 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

I had the same problem after four years occasional use. The 'lifetime guarantee' proved worthless. In the end I pulled the seam tapes off (easy!) and sealed over the taped areas with seam seal (messy & expensive) then dusted with talc. Now it's so far so good, but the repair should not have been necessary.
The manufacturer is well known and now on my never again list.
Alphin 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Alpjay:

Thanks for the reply and interesting to here from a manufacturer.

I was lucky enough to find a retailer who sent the whole tent back to North Face for free, it was returned with a covering letter basically saying as it was over 2 years old the tent was no longer covered under its warranty.

The tent is a Tadpole 34 DL, a quick search on Google and the problem of delamination and lack of waterproofing seems to be fairly common on a few of the models at that time.

I'm just disappointed that a tent which has been looked after well on and after its 10 trips out in 7 years essentially now is and expensive sieve, fine to take on the hills as long as it doesn't rain.

May have to take a look at your tents, as your bivi bag was excellent on a recent trip.
 RR 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

Thinking about your question:

My idea is to:
Buy a good make tent.
Use Fabsil Gold (Grangers) when needed for reproofing the outer tent.
Put your tent in the shade; UV is the tents enemy.
Use for the problem of delaminating of the ground sheet, McNett Tent Sure or similar.
Use Seam Grip or the like for tape that comes off,
MCNett Seam sure if the tape comes off on longer stretches. Use your own brush, the one that comes with it doesn’t do the job.
Zipper problem: only the Hilleberg … use T-ZIP as lubricant … (as said buy a good tent).
Look on the internet about service and what others say about the quality of their tent (after they have used it).

Here my experience:
Had a Salewa tent Hiebler style. Lasted for 30 years. Used in the first 5 years nearly every weekend and long vacations (also in winter), after that now and then. RIP since 2013.
A Sierra designs tent? Still in use in Canada?
Then a TNF VE25 in (1996) still in use. Had to reproof the outer with Fabsil Gold, using it still 2 weeks a year.
A weekend TNF tent (1997) Cirrus. Did last at least 10 years, say 4 weeks per year. Several reproofing’s of the ground sheet and outer. Fabric got weak. RIP in 2013.
A TNF mountain 25 (2000) still in use, though no frequent use.
Bibler (2002) had to re-glue some stitching. Use it now and then above tree-line and high altitude. No problem.
Hilleberg Keron GT (2006) using it every year 3 to 5 weeks. No problem.
A Eureka tent (2007) I think Susten? Used two weekends. Not my tent.
A REI Quarter Dome (2008) nice and light. Delicate, but good quality, still in use.
Hilleberg Saivo (2013) used 4 weeks at high altitude … fabric is very okay but … the quality of the stitching is not like that of the Keron. Way too expensive for what you get, in my opinion.
A Kelty Tarp which last forever (over 15 years). Use it for nearly all car camping.
A MSR Hubba NX. Going to use it on bike trips. No idea.

Delaminating happens. For me most of the time with TNF stuff bags and some older heavy used MEC stuff.
In the end I would say: take your losses, don’t waste all your time reproofing a tent that is a dead horse. Get a new one and go climbing.
Happy trails.
 Hannes 16 Jul 2014
In reply to Alphin:

I noticed a similar issue with a Mountain Hardwear tent. The seam tape is peeling everywhere from the fly but the seam tape on the inner looks pristine. I tried emailing them what they thought but got a copy paste response asking me to send the fly to somewhere in France. Mine is about four years old used a dozen times and again not stored inappropriately

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...